Old Ford Ranger fitted with “iconic” Toyota 6 cylinder engine – recommendations please on skilled and knowledgeable person/place for full service in or near Pattaya.

Very recently bought an old Ford Ranger at a low 'local' price of just 90,000 baht.

It's year is shown as 2547 (2004), though it has the 'facelift' styling of 2006.

Bodywork and everything is in fantastic condition.

New rims, 265/70R16 tires.

Four-door Double cab

But here's the thing... it now has a Toyota engine.... fitted I think 10 years ago according to the log-book.

I'm assuming – though I don't know – that the automatic transmission came with the Toyota engine.

And that engine – from internet research – is not the most common of Toyota engines.

It's been called “iconic” and “Toyota's masterpiece” amongst other things – whatever that might mean.

All that really concerns me is that cars/engines which are shall we say a 'departure from the norm' may come with issues regarding maintenance and parts.

This is a 1JZ petrol engine, made from 1990 to 2007, and is a 6 cylinder, 24 valve, twin-cam – not an engine Toyota produced en masse it seems.

Anyone familiar with it by any chance?

The problem with having a different engine fitted is that one can't know its actual age, - (was it new or reconditioned when fitted?) - or whether the odometer – now showing 204,000km – is showing the mileage from the time the engine was installed, or from the time of manufacture of the Ford.

During production of this engine, there was a simple GE model, then a GTE fitted with twin turbos, some were VVT-I type, and lastly an upgraded FSE engine.

Not knowing which one this is, makes it difficult to identify parts and even fluids and lubricants, even spark plugs, because these things aren't exactly the same for each model.

Any ideas on solving that identity problem perhaps by using the engine number?

These engines BTW were apparently almost entirely used in sedan models like the Toyota Crown, and in sports cars like the Supra, and not in pick-up trucks!

No idea why someone decided to take out the Ford engine and replace it with a Toyota.

The advice I'm looking for is this:

Under these circumstances, - an old car, running extremely well, but with an engine not from the car manufacturer (and having picked it up for a lot less than the apparent market value) – I intend to throw some extra money at it, and some TLC, by giving it a full service – all the fluids, lubricants and filters, spark plugs – the lot – plus a thorough inspection of steering, suspension, brake and exhaust systems.

Everything on the biggest service and more.

So where do I go to get this done?

Knowledge, skill, trustworthiness and reliability are essential, and there are too many places I wouldn't want to just blindly trust.

I live in Ubon, in a really remote rural area way south of Ubon Ratchathani.

No luck in my nearest 'town' of Det Udom, and the big Toyota dealer there didn't want to know, for whatever reason.

I thought going to Toyota, though expensive, would be best, as they should have the expertise and parts for this engine.

But they'll no doubt be reluctant everywhere about touching this 'mongrel'.

Some mechanics said they would do it, but that I should supply all the parts, all the fluids, lubricants and filters, spark plugs etc.

That's out of the question because I can't be sure of the exact parts for this engine.

Taking parts out and examining them is always best.

I spend periods of a month or more in Pattaya quite regularly, and will be there for the whole of August.

The chances of finding someone – a person or workshop – that can and will do it, and preferably speak enough car-related English, will be far better there than out here in the wilds... which appears pretty hopeless right now.

So... any recommendations or other suggestions?

Would be greatly appreciated.

As you have already noted, I'm no mechanic, and my knowledge is extremely limited.

I do know however, that this car is quite capable of doing a lot more mileage as long as it is carefully and regularly maintained, and the first thing to do is to make sure that it has a very thorough service.

Finally, where to get hold of Ford parts accessories, such as wheel arch plastic trim, wing mirror, new seats etc?

(the former must be Ford I guess, but the others not necessarily.)

Please keep replies relevant, and don't go on about other vehicles, or suggest buying something else – and anyone who might feel the need to sneer or jibe – I won't be taking any notice of such comments.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, raysunshineray said:

This is a 1JZ petrol engine, made from 1990 to 2007, and is a 6 cylinder, 24 valve, twin-cam – not an engine Toyota produced en masse it seems.

The 1JZ GE and GTE are very common engines, easy to get parts for and easily worked on locally.

If yours doesn't have turbos, it's a GE, if it does it's a GTE, if it's a VVT-i it'll say so on the cam cover.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

6 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

There was no facelift for the Ford Ranger in 2006, the 2006 (to 2012) Ford ranger was a new model.

The vehicle that you have is the 1999 to 2006 model, it may be a facelift version but not from 2006.

Yes you're right - I just rechecked where I got that from -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_(international)

If you scroll down, it's identical to the silver one where it says Ford Ranger dual cab (facelift)

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The 1JZ GE and GTE are very common engines, easy to get parts for and easily worked on locally.

If yours doesn't have turbos, it's a GE, if it does it's a GTE, if it's a VVT-i it'll say so on the cam cover.

That's good to know - it must be a GE - no turbos and just says "Twin Cam 24 Valve" on the cover - thanks.

7 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

1JZ's are very common.

Used in many many conversion.

You will have no issue with any Somchai the mechanic or parts store.

For old Ranger parts that will prove harder, seek out car wreckers/breakers.

Thanks for the info, and good to know they're common - even though the cars they were in aren't often seen any more - in Thailand anyway.

21 minutes ago, raysunshineray said:

Thanks for the info, and good to know they're common - even though the cars they were in aren't often seen any more - in Thailand anyway.

JZ motors are common imports from Japan.

14 hours ago, raysunshineray said:

Thanks - will give that a try.

Don't know about down South but there must be many private car service places that fix and service all makes of cars/trucks, in Sukhothai there are such places it's just a case of asking around.

No problem with Toyota lumps whatever it is.

24 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't know about down South but there must be many private car service places that fix and service all makes of cars/trucks, in Sukhothai there are such places it's just a case of asking around.

No problem with Toyota lumps whatever it is.

Yes, you're right... that should be the case, but I'm having trouble communicating what I want out here in the sticks, and there are so many of these private service places that are very very shabby and run down, and look as if they don't even have the tools to do the job, let alone the skill, knowledge and ability to locate and access parts.

I'll do some serious looking around whilst in Pattaya - a lot more chance of at least some car-related English spoken/understood there.

Thanks for your input.

23 minutes ago, raysunshineray said:

Yes, you're right... that should be the case, but I'm having trouble communicating what I want out here in the sticks, and there are so many of these private service places that are very very shabby and run down, and look as if they don't even have the tools to do the job, let alone the skill, knowledge and ability to locate and access parts.

I'll do some serious looking around whilst in Pattaya - a lot more chance of at least some car-related English spoken/understood there.

Thanks for your input.

Well try a Cockpit we are lucky we have a good one in Sukhothai and if there is something they cannot do or want to do they point you in the right direction.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well try a Cockpit we are lucky we have a good one in Sukhothai and if there is something they cannot do or want to do they point you in the right direction.

I'll do that.... I like the idea about them pointing me in the right direction if there's something they can't do. I've been asking people (mechanics/workshops) here to do that and all I get is blank face - very frustrating because one would expect them to know at least where to go!

• Thumbs Up 1