Got my yellow book and ID card today

Took me 5 visits to Amphur, first time to be told I need to be married. I told them NO!

Then other visits when the staff had to fill in an online form, attach copies of ALL mine and GFs papers. Come back next week with boss of my village. Did so and on Friday last got the Yellow Book after the online form was re-submitted.

Got pink card on Monday, then thought, why do I need it? Yesterday I had to send something via Flash and they needed my Passport. Gave them my Pink card and hey presto, it was used within 24hours.

Now what can I do with it?

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Always entertaining to read about the hassle to get a residence certificate at some offices

Actually, I forgot to add a residence certificate to the list. That only took about 30 minutes and they did not care that I had not submitted a 90 day report yet.

• Thanks 2

I got my Yellow Book Tambian Baan about 12 years ago, as well as my Thai ID Pink Card.

I have found that having both prove to be great “supporting” documents when dealing with the Thai officialdom here. 

You can now also open an account at the Government Savings Bank (GSB) for which Thai ID is mandatory. An account with GSB is important if you have more than 1MTB on deposit and you want to keep it all at just one (1) Bank.

All other Banks in Thailand are deemed  “Commercial” Banks ie SCB, UOB, KMA…..and are subject to the Deposit Protection Agency (DPA) new restrictions. 

Prior to 4 yrs ago the DPA covered / insured cash deposits up to 10MTB, It was then reduced to 5MTB. In 2021 it was further reduced to 1MTB. 
Doesn’t exactly instill much confidence in the Thai Banking Sector….5555

So, if you keep more than 1MTB on deposit here in Thailand, you’d be wise to open accounts at several banks to protect your cash in the event of Banks failing.

The GSB is not a “Commercial Bank” and all deposits are protected.

F45518C6-9EA2-47DE-ABAA-FAD56F1ED4BD.jpeg

03CA50DE-4524-4E02-90DD-4624704D3205.jpeg

Edited by verticalift
  • Thumbs Up 1

It was much easier for me in Bangkok. (No friend or witness, no interview, no pictures.) It took a few minutes and 55 Baht to get ID card.

Have had it for a few years now and have never really used it, nor have noticed any benefit in having it. 

If it's really easy. then it's worth doing . In my case, I thought it may be useful regarding paperwork as we have 2 kids.

However, having got all the paperwork in order with the aumper. was directed to the Ministry of Foreign affairs , to get photocopies of passport endorsed. who then directed me to my embassy in Bangkok to get my passport certified as genuine,

So I haven't got one. as for me it's just not worth the effort !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, verticalift said:

I got my Yellow Book Tambian Baan about 12 years ago, as well as my Thai ID Pink Card.

I have found that having both prove to be great “supporting” documents when dealing with the Thai officialdom here. 

You can now also open an account at the Government Savings Bank (GSB) for which Thai ID is mandatory. An account with GSB is important if you have more than 1MTB on deposit and you want to keep it all at just one (1) Bank.

All other Banks in Thailand are deemed  “Commercial” Banks ie SCB, UOB, KMA…..and are subject to the Deposit Protection Agency (DPA) new restrictions. 

Prior to 4 yrs ago the DPA covered / insured cash deposits up to 10MTB, It was then reduced to 5MTB. In 2021 it was further reduced to 1MTB. 
Doesn’t exactly instill much confidence in the Thai Banking Sector….5555

So, if you keep more than 1MTB on deposit here in Thailand, you’d be wise to open accounts at several banks to protect your cash in the event of Banks failing.

The GSB is not a “Commercial Bank” and all deposits are protected.

F45518C6-9EA2-47DE-ABAA-FAD56F1ED4BD.jpeg

03CA50DE-4524-4E02-90DD-4624704D3205.jpeg

Thai ID may be mandatory to open a bank account where you live, but it's not mandatory in Buriram. I opened a GSB account with my passport.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Soondae said:

Actually a Thai drivers license would suffice to send mail via Flash, I do it all the time. The real benefit of the pink card for falang is you get into national parks at the same price as Thai.

From a previous post in this thread.

It may or may not get Thai entrance fee at private attractions. It used to get Thai entrance fee at Koh Samet, but last time we went, they no longer accepted it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Thai ID may be mandatory to open a bank account where you live, but it's not mandatory in Buriram. I opened a GSB account with my passport.

Good to hear I'm not alone.  I've had my GSB accounts for 15 years, and didn't need a Thai ID card.  Furthermore, there is no need to deposit your more than million baht in different banks.   The I million baht insurance is " per account".  Thus you can have several accts in one bank.  But I suppose it would be prudent to have several different banks hold your numerous i million baht funds, as I have done.

As for govt bank ( gsb),  I enquired into this 1 million baht compensation/customer  protection and was told that this ruling applies to them as well.  But I would be very happy to be told otherwise.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It may or may not get Thai entrance fee at private attractions. It used to get Thai entrance fee at Koh Samet, but last time we went, they no longer accepted it.

Understood, which makes the whole tedious process which is really difficult for a single guy, not worth it. The benefit of the yellow book for me would be to bypass stopping by the immigration office for a residence letter every five years to renew my drivers license or the occasion I decided to open a new bank account. As it is now I get a residence letter from my condo admin, take it to IMM (small outside office) pay 500 baht and get a residence certificate good for 30 days can be used for both DL renewal and opening accounts.

Edited by Soondae
misspell

23 minutes ago, Soondae said:

The benefit of the yellow book for me would be to bypass stopping by the immigration office for a residence letter every five years to renew my drivers license

You're joking............just once every five years is hassle for you?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Yes but you can't use/register for the MyMo app as it requires a citizen ID number which the pink ID has????

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Raindancer said:

As for govt bank ( gsb),  I enquired into this 1 million baht compensation/customer  protection and was told that this ruling applies to them as well

Absolutely wrong

On 7/20/2023 at 7:56 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Was useful for me multiple times at the DLT e.g.

Always entertaining to read about the hassle to get a residence certificate at some offices.

Talking of Certificate of Residence, we wanted to sell one of our cars to another family in our housing estate. They are Chinese & told us that Immigration told them that they will no longer issue said certicates to Chinese citizens!??

They ended up using an 'agent' who charged 1,500 baht instead of the 300 baht that immigration normally charge, apparently (it used to be FOC).

This is a blatant example of racial discrimination IMHO!!!

• Sad 1

On 7/20/2023 at 7:35 PM, scubascuba3 said:

a lot of unnecessary questions for just a yellow book

Well, at least the OP wasn't threatened with the dreaded "Bangkok Runaround" by his amphur, unlike @mancub!

On 7/21/2023 at 2:16 PM, mancub said:

If it's really easy. then it's worth doing . In my case, I thought it may be useful regarding paperwork as we have 2 kids.

However, having got all the paperwork in order with the aumper. was directed to the Ministry of Foreign affairs , to get photocopies of passport endorsed. who then directed me to my embassy in Bangkok to get my passport certified as genuine,

So I haven't got one. as for me it's just not worth the effort !

Yep I came to the same conclusion as you that it wasn't worth the effort when, after actually accomplishing the dreaded "Bangkok Runaround" myself at the insistence of my amphur, I returned to their office clutching all their required docs, only to fall at the final fence when some eagle-eyed oik there spotted that the Thai transliteration of my surname stated in them didn't exactly match my wife's as stated on her ID card and in her blue house book!

In any event I have to question the fundamental value of an ID card and house book for foreigners which does not include what I consider to be the most important piece of personal information in our case - namely the date when our current permission to stay in Thailand expires.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 7:20 PM, stubuzz said:

I went into the Amphur Office 2 weeks ago and asked what I needed. They told me to come back on the 20th July with the following things:

Marriage Certificate

This is the one that prevents me from getting these things. When I asked a few months ago at my local amphur I was told to get married then come back.  And that ain't about to happen.

On 7/21/2023 at 7:03 PM, KannikaP said:

Yep, and the Thai D/L won't get you the Thai price at Phi Mai historical park. I tried it and no. 

I have a yellow book (and the pink ID) and in the most part, other documents will suffice instead.  But still, I can't deny that the yellow book and pink-ID have come in handy at times.

As pointed out on this thread when purchasing a Thai government saving's bond, a number on the yellow book (and pink-ID) can come in handy when buying the bond.  The bank manager at a Bangkok Bank in Phuket where I purchased Thai government bonds advised us he would only allow his staff to process the application for a bond purchase for a foreigner who had the yellow book/pink ID.  We tried a couple other banks (one was Krungsri) and the branch we went to simply would not sell a foreigner Thai government bonds.  Perhaps if we had walked to many more banks, we might have eventually found one willing to sell Thai government bonds to a foreigner without a yellow book/pink-ID, but who wants to spend the time going to do that?   .... (I needed the Thai government bonds to top up my investment in Thailand for an LTR visa).

When I last renewed my Thai driver's licence in Phuket, I provided my Yellow book (and a copy of its salient pages) instead of having to go to Phuket immigration and obtain a certificate (or letter) of residence, which is what most foreigners in Phuket are required to do for the Phuket licence bureau.

Before I obtained my LTR Visa, I was on a type-O visa.   I previous obtained a one year extension of my 90-day type O visa (for reason of retirement).  The Phuket immigration accepted my Yellow book (and salient copies) instead of the blue book with my wife's Thai ID (as her name is the last name in the blue book).  So  thanks to the Yellow Book, one less photocopy and my not having to nag my wife to get a copy of her Thai ID.

I have on occasion been able to use the pink-ID (which one can obtain after getting the yellow book) when checking in to a hotel, BUT on the most part, I found hotels still insist on seeing one's passport. 

I had a couple occasions the opportunity (when entering a park and had to pay a foreigner's fee) to flash my pink-ID, but frankly, I forgot that I even had the ID.  ... So I missed that chance.

Edited by oldcpu

On 7/21/2023 at 7:51 PM, KannikaP said:

You're joking............just once every five years is hassle for you?

You miss understood my comment, the yellow book is the hassle, once every 5 years getting residence certificate for DL renewal is no trouble at all.

17 hours ago, grain said:

This is the one that prevents me from getting these things. When I asked a few months ago at my local amphur I was told to get married then come back.  And that ain't about to happen.

Five years ago I got exactly the same from my Amphur boss. Decided to give it another go, and not stand for any BS. Long story short, got my Yellow Book and Pink Card last week, NOT MARRIED.

I did notice that on the card's photo, I am 3 cm shorter than I was when I last measured myself 2 or three years ago.