Pattaya Vs Chiang Mai Friendliness

JimTripper

One advantage with a larger place is that you can spread your cultural blunders. My Thai is poor which I admit but I still use it. For some reason I wasn't understood when I today asked to heat food in 7/11. I then asked in English how a Thai person would say it. A lot of misunderstanding and chaos erupted before they told me I should say "weep pai noi kaap". In these situations it is good to be able to switch to another 7/11 for a little while.

And it doesn't matter what you do. Your will still not be the craziest foreigner in Pattaya  ????

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2023 at 6:52 PM, JimTripper said:

On 7/22/2023 at 6:52 PM, JimTripper said:

I have lived in both Pattaya & Chiang Mai and am finding the Thai people in Pattaya very unfriendly or even nasty. 

Well with some of the Thai locals that the foreigners have to put with I dare say those attitudes are a two way street. Plenty of examples in the Pattaya news section. 

8 hours ago, sikishrory said:

Lived in pattaya for 7 years. The people are rude as hell compared to other places in Thailand. The place is a toilet

Wow, I can't imagine flushing 7 years of my life down the toilet living in a place I didn't like. Were you incapable of taking your life and future into your own hands and relocating somewhere you liked ? What a waste, life is too short.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

How about Phuket and Krabi? I only saw the touristy parts of Phuket some years ago and then I got the impression Pattaya attitudes were slightly better.

A Thai friend from Lampang/Phayao worked on a resort on Phi Phi. The boat drivers tried to charge her the tourist price. They said she spoke strangely and wondered if she was Chinese ???? (She had been to university, I believe in CM)

She said that area was rough for outsiders ????

Surat Thani is a bit away from there but I had good impression. Once celebrated Songkran there.

Edited by thailandsgreat

3 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

How about Phuket and Krabi? I only saw the touristy parts of Phuket some years ago and then I got the impression Pattaya attitudes were slightly better.

A Thai friend from Lampang/Phayao worked on a resort on Phi Phi. The boat drivers tried to charge her the tourist price. They said she spoke strangely and wondered if she was Chinese ???? (She had been to university, I believe in CM)

She said that area was rough for outsiders ????

Surat Thani is a bit away from there but I had good impression. Once celebrated Songkran there.

Phuket is ok. Krabi is boring.

Not much here about the air quality in CM. According to the (not so) trustworthy news media back home, air was as thick as kao soi during spring and members of other foras discouraged from coming close.

I have been in CM in spring other years and it wasn't so bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/24/2023 at 7:49 AM, thailandsgreat said:

For some reason I wasn't understood when I today asked to heat food in 7/11. I then asked in English how a Thai person would say it. A lot of misunderstanding and chaos erupted before they told me I should say "weep pai noi kaap".

Just use the word "wave" (short for microwave) as a verb. "Wave krup" or "Kho wave krup" (a bit more polite).

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, XGM said:

Just use the word "wave" (short for microwave) as a verb. "Wave krup" or "Kho wave krup" (a bit more polite).

Do they not always ask? All I ever have to do is shake my head yes or no.

• Like 1

Yes. Like I wrote. That's what they finally told me

Weep hai noi kaap.

Weep is pronounced like this. It is written with thai f but I wonder if Thai people don't often use p at the end?

https://en.bab.la/pronunciation/thai/เวฟ

I can also add that I find better quality food in the semi-foreigner area Mongkol market in Pattaya than in markets further out, surprisingly. At least (cooked dishes of) meat and a few other items.

Edited by thailandsgreat

12 hours ago, nupersoodles said:

Was I the only one reading weep to rhyme with "beep"; "jeep"; and "deep" until that last post?

Grateful I got there in the end ????

Yes, there are different ways to write Thai using Western letters. I am used to Paiboon+ so I didn't think about shedding tears.

It is a little tricky. Here is the word written with Paiboon+ and the alternative "English based" TLC (grey)

5VqcBG.jpg

I am not used to TLC so when I see waehp I imagine another vowel, like in Thai for eyeglasses (but longer).

I also seemingly get support for some Thais pronouncing p at the end. That is how the dictionary writes the phonetic.

Today I tried saying it in another 7/11 but the clerk started asking back using words like op and un ????

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/25/2023 at 6:58 AM, sikishrory said:

Lived in pattaya for 7 years. The people are rude as hell compared to other places in Thailand. The place is a toilet

Are you still in pattaya or did you move? where?

7 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Are you still in pattaya or did you move? where?

No I was moved to Phuket before your thread.

The only reason I was stuck in Pattaya so long is because my wife at the time grew up and had friends and family around there and didn't want to move.

Phuket is a different kettle of fish.

If I had my way I would live in somewhere like Chiang Rai or Nan or Isaan but most of my work happens in Phuket.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:49 PM, thailandsgreat said:

One advantage with a larger place is that you can spread your cultural blunders. My Thai is poor which I admit but I still use it. For some reason I wasn't understood when I today asked to heat food in 7/11. I then asked in English how a Thai person would say it. A lot of misunderstanding and chaos erupted before they told me I should say "weep pai noi kaap". In these situations it is good to be able to switch to another 7/11 for a little

????

Never heard anyone say anything but "wave".

On 7/23/2023 at 9:46 AM, JimTripper said:

I’m thinking people are nicer the further North one goes because it’s not so hot. The cooler weather makes a big difference in a persons mood. Not so tired, not dripping with sweat, etc.

people move from their villages to work in Pattaya - they are happier in their village... 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Only the bar girls. A lot of people grew up there. 

There was a guy from my village who worked at a hotel in Pattaya for 30 years... he went there to earn a living - he was not a bargirl - - I expect there are many workers like him... maids etc.. I would gueess there are more people from elsewhere than from Pattaya,,, 

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

There was a guy from my village who worked at a hotel in Pattaya for 30 years... he went there to earn a living - he was not a bargirl - - I expect there are many workers like him... maids etc.. I would gueess there are more people from elsewhere than from Pattaya,,, 

Yeah, and I had a guy commuting from Pattaya to Kabinburi to work for ten years, and a gal that commuted from Sattahip to Kabinburi for over twenty years. 

Woo-hoo