Exorbitant payment processing fees for AirAsia flights

omnipresent

For my latest booking payment processing fee was almost 20% of the ticket costs - before payment it was around 2k THB for 2 people round trip, then payment processing fee was around 400 THB.

I recall it used to only be expensive like that if I chose card payment, whilst internet banking had much lower fee. But now every payment method is expensive.

Is there any way to pay less?

I think with AirAsia BIG card the payment processing fee is waived, but only Malaysian citizens are eligible for the card, right?

Edited by omnipresent

Just now, KannikaP said:

What fee is that, the arrival/departure fee or payment fee? What's pp mean please?

Pp is per person. Common travel lingo. Been around for 50 years.

Processing fees. Card or 7/11 is same

19 minutes ago, bignok said:

Fee is 107 baht for dmk to cm

For one-way and 1 person?

It seems that AirAsia now charges per leg and per person, so round-trip for 2 people would make the payment processing fee around 400 THB, even though the actual payment is still done in 1 transaction. I recall in the past this was the case only with card payments. But it seems it's now done for payments via internet banking too.

Edited by omnipresent

3 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

They bait you with a dirt cheap price

Yes, it makes it more difficult to compare prices between many different airlines. We have to add 400 THB to payment processing fees to the AirAsia prices shown on SkyScanner.

Other airlines don't charge anywhere near as much for payment processing, so we didn't really have to consider it.

Edited by omnipresent

1 minute ago, omnipresent said:

Yes, it makes it difficult to compare prices between many different airlines. We have to add 400 THB to payment processing fees to the AirAsia prices shown on SkyScanner.

400 baht is 5 beers in a bar. Not a big deal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

7 minutes ago, omnipresent said:

You can't always assume that... Nok Air (and other budget airlines like Lion Air, VietJet etc.) are often competitive, and when you factor in AirAsia's 400 THB payment processing fee, flights with those other airlines may turn out to be cheaper in total.

Nok is nearly always dearer.  Lion has very small carry on baggage limots, Vietjet often cancels flights.

• Haha 2