GOOD Language school needed? Recommend please

Poseidon

I would like to learn Thai. I am fed up of being illiterate and unable to talk to anyone properly when traveling there. 

Can anyone recommend a good school to teach the language. If it can be done online from the uk even better.

I am prepared to spend a year in country to learn the language but I don't want a visa shop I'm looking for a proper school that can actually teach. 

Tha k you in advance 

I understand your need to understand what the people around you are saying.

But if you really what to learn thai, then get on utube  there is lots of help.Any school is good but if you really want to understand thai you have to take some classes and also teach yourself.

Then mix directly with thai people and talk to them and you will learn the last 60 percent remaining to understand their every word.

You must have dedication but the rewards are massive.

As mentioned look on youtube.  There are several places that put short learning videos on there but also offer on line learning for a price.

Banana Thai is one that comes to mind.  But there are many others.

I've never used one so I can't make any recommendations about which are better.  Take a look at the videos and see if you like their style first.

You can study at Chula, online. 

https://www.arts.chula.ac.th/CTFL/intensivethai/

I’m guessing you could even start in the UK and then come here to finish. 

I learned at UTL and AUA - the guys who I knew who were at Chula were way more advanced in a shorter time than myself and my colleagues, they worked hard tho’

Incidentally you can watch the lower level ALG lessons from AUA on YouTube, it’s interesting.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2023 at 2:18 AM, recom273 said:

You can study at Chula, online. 

https://www.arts.chula.ac.th/CTFL/intensivethai/

I’m guessing you could even start in the UK and then come here to finish. 

I learned at UTL and AUA - the guys who I knew who were at Chula were way more advanced in a shorter time than myself and my colleagues, they worked hard tho’

Incidentally you can watch the lower level ALG lessons from AUA on YouTube, it’s interesting.

This is interesting. My only concern is there not doing the alphabet first i know from wasted time i wont be able to use any dictionaries or text books properly till i can read thai script. I will ask them tho as that that's quite the recommendation  

On 7/25/2023 at 5:59 AM, flyingtlger said:

Find a Thai girlfriend that doesn't speak English, guarantee you'll learn Thai in no time....

I tried that, but then I found out that simply pointing and waving some money about is just as effective as speaking the lingo! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Poseidon said:

This is interesting. My only concern is there not doing the alphabet first i know from wasted time i wont be able to use any dictionaries or text books properly till i can read thai script. I will ask them tho as that that's quite the recommendation  

I’m pretty sure they do teach it from the start.

At UTL you learn short vowels in the third month if I remember correctly.

Don’t think of it as wasted time, there’s a lot going on. The school I attended had a full class in the first month, time was spent settling in, socializing out of class - a lot of people dropped out in the second month - they couldn’t hack it. By the third month there was two groups condensed into one of 15 students. 

My basic Thai was already pretty good, and I was just cruising along for the first couple of months. I don’t know why I didn’t prepare because in the third month it was like being hit with a train.

Just because it isn’t in the syllabus, doesn’t stop you preparing. In the era before iPhones, etc I bought a couple of kids alphabet books and cut them up to make flashcards.