Chaiyaphum hospital under scrutiny after sudden death of a discharged patient

webfact

image.jpeg

A man has sought justice for his mother’s death following a sudden cardiac arrest just after she was discharged from the emergency room of a hospital. The peculiar death of his 64 year old mother on Saturday has raised doubts about her medical treatment. The man demands a detailed investigation into the causes of her death. The incident occurred in Thailand’s northeast Chaiyaphum province.

Twenty-nine year old Phanuwat, a resident of Pak Pang, Phu Kiao district, reported the incident. His mother, Pranee, was suffering from chest pain in the early hours of Saturday morning. Phanuwat, along with his wife, Panruthai, took Pranee for treatment at a hospital in Chaiyaphum at around 8am. After a few hours of treatment, at around 12.30pm, Pranee was discharged as she was told she was normal, and her family was about to drive her home.

While they were about to reach home, they stopped for a meal. As they approached the restaurant, Pranee fell unconscious, her face turned pale, and her body turned yellow. She was rushed back to the hospital where attempts were made to resuscitate her. Sadly, Pranee couldn’t be saved, and she died after a while.

The death of Pranee has raised many questions and doubts in Phanuwat’s mind. Facilitated by the police, Phanuwat and his relatives lodged a formal complaint against the hospital for the matter. Despite conducting a post-mortem examination, the hospital was not clear about the cause of death of Pranee. Phanuwat believes that the hospital should be held accountable for the condition and treatment of Pranee, which resulted in her sudden death despite claiming her to be “normal,” reported Matichon Online.

by Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/chaiyaphum-hospital-under-scrutiny-after-sudden-death-of-a-discharged-patient-raises-doubts-on-quality-of-health-care

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 3

A doctor in my country once said, that you can go to the hospital and do al check ups that are possible even if you don't feel well, but if they can't find anything you go home and as soon as left the building you can drop dead. It is part of life although very sad. This is maybe a case like this.. although maybe some better examination should have shown heart problems or they could have kept her for 24hrs observation. It is not said that the same wouldn't have happened

Reminds me of my ex-wife.
She was from Chaiyaphum and according to her, the best doctors in the world came from Chaiyaphum.
One day, after trying to lose weight by all possible products (mostly medicines sold by monks to lose weight in a few days), she told me that was going to a hospital in her village.
There was a doctor who had found a "Miracle" intervention to lose weight.
On a Friday, she took the bus to Chaiyaphum, and she came back on Sunday evening.
Instead of losing weight, she was now bloated like if she was in her 9th month pregnancy.
I asked what she had done and she told me what the "Miracle" intervention was.
The doctor had shoved a complete (peeled) oignon in her anus and she was told not to remove it but let it rot.
It will come out together with all the food in your stomach and het exhaust pipe.
In the mean time, she would not feel hungry as the food in her stomach would not find a way out and she would digest the food better.
After a week, she was literally exploding and I called the Maharat hospital which removed the rotten onion and performed a cleaning of her intestines.
Luckely, she had a 30 baht card and the costs were ok.

About 15 years ago in Australia I had severe chest pains.   I did not think it was a heart attack, but I was concerned and felt well enough to drive myself, slowly, the 10-15 minutes drive (through light traffic) to my nearest government hospital.  After some tests the ER staff, declared it was not a heart attack, but they wanted to keep me in hospital overnight for observation and a heart stress test the following morning.  (I did not have a mobile phone, so I asked the staff if I could use a phone to call a colleague and inform her that I could not teach my 8.00 am class the following morning).  The heart stress test went ok, no problems, heart very strong, discharged.

The following week, after my Nursing student class finished at about 9.50 am, two of my students (they were Enrolled Nurses rather than Registered Nurses, thus they were studying for a Nursing degree) came up and told me the story of a similar patient who two weeks earlier under went a similiar heart stress test at the hospital, passed, was discharded, walk out of the hospital, and while waiting for a taxi had a fatal heart attack.

One never knows.