Why IS It That Super-Smart People, Almost INVARIABLY, Turn Out to Be Atheists? Hear it HERE…Straight from the Horse’s Mouth!

6 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Can't know for sure.... yep. Downside is that that is agnostic while atheist is a rejection of the claim of knowledge that an intervening god exists. It's so simple, shockingly so, that it's incredible the number of people who don't understand. We use this same logic in law and have done for centuries. It's guilty or not guilty rather than guilty or innocent.

"the claim of knowledge that an intervening god exists."

You'd need to explain what this means in terms that even a moron like me can understand.

On 7/27/2023 at 12:43 PM, bignok said:

His IQ is pretty ordinary. Watched his interview with Dr Phil. Maher looked like a goose.

He was stoned and drinking, which he always is and does on his podcast...Club Random. And never is nor does on his extremely successful and long running HBO hit show...Real Time. 

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

He was stoned and drinking, which he always is and does on his podcast...Club Random. And never is nor does on his extremely successful and long running HBO hit show...Real Time. 

Yeah he's a moron.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

"the claim of knowledge that an intervening god exists."

You'd need to explain what this means in terms that even a moron like me can understand.

Theism as opposed to deism (belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe)

Wonderful video, GammaGlobulin. ????

As an old geezer who grew up accustomed to watching this kind of quality programming (not always!) on TV, I'm struck by how this vdo sadly emphasizes how cr*ppy contemporary stuff so often is these days..... 

But while true imo, that's way beside the point, or your point (the title of your post)...a point with which I'd agree on the whole, though reservedly and with questions about what 'super smart' (even 'intellectual') really means, and the degree of error by which we might sometimes suppose it adds positive distinction to the views of they we think are so. 

But....that's just me making a general point that is kind of irrelevant and boring when it comes to Richard Feynman and the vdo you posted. He was just a person who by natural compulsion far-reached all the way, in his own way, to figure things out...............a tendency certainly not confined to the 'super smart' or contingent on anyone being so. We all* do it...to a degree..... athiest or not. Dawn till dusk, sometimes. ????

But anyway,  loved your post, GammaGlobulin. ????

* not true...but....

• Thanks 1

How did LIFE begin in our Godless Universe?

And, further thoughts concerning Why Super-Smart people are UNABLE to believe in God/gods:

In several of my previous comments, I have linked to a few precious tidbits given off by that Super-Nova of a Scientist, and My Main Man, Sean Carroll. (Educated at Villanova University and Harvard University; Research and Teaching at CalTech, Santa Fe Institute, Johns Hopkins University; Influences: Einstein, Boltzmann, Richard FEYNMAN!, David Hume, etc.)

Definitely, here is another Royal Institution gem from Sean which will answer ALL/MOST of your questions about our Godless Universe.

I know you guys are going to love it. (Please watch the entire video IF you want to know more about what's up with our Reality and our Universe.)

And, nothing that I can think of could be more...ON TOPIC!

This will answer your question about where LIFE came from, as well as the origin of the Universe, AND...what will happen to the Universe in the far, Far, FAR distant future.

Please watch the other Sean Carroll video I linked in a previous comment.

Both are exactly ON TOPIC, elucidating and full of optimism for all men of Free Will and Good Cheer.

Bless you guys!

• Love It 1

17 minutes ago, bignok said:

Yeah he's a moron.

Strongly disagree. However in your case the old saying...'it takes one to know one'...has never seemed so apropos. Perhaps he is a moron????

Oh dear ( yawn), another burbling stream of (semi) consciousness!

Apropos of nothing in particular, my brother used to have a suede jacket and haircut just like that fellow back in the seventies.

He used to talk <deleted> as well!

Edited by herfiehandbag

49 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Theism as opposed to deism (belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe)

You didn't get there. All I want answered and I have repeated this several times is which religion is real and which are fake? Until and unless that question is answered nobody has any business claiming any religion is real.

Instead, what I got was a simple definition of what religion is. As if I had no idea.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You didn't get there. All I want answered and I have repeated this several times is which religion is real and which are fake? Until and unless that question is answered nobody has any business claiming any religion is real.

Instead, what I got was a simple definition of what religion is. As if I had no idea.

all religions are man-made, therefore all religions are flawed

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, klauskunkel said:

all religions are man-made, therefore all religions are flawed

That's my take. They were simply a precursor to the modern governments we have today. Somehow they persist, probably due to the enormous wealth they have plundered from the poor and colonization by force.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You didn't get there. All I want answered and I have repeated this several times is which religion is real and which are fake?

Sorry, hadn't read all the comments.

None have been shown to valid though some would argue that the real or true aspect can be related to it being true that a number of people believe it. Weird imo but have seen it argued. Some would also argue that the Universe / existence has to require a creator but that too has never been demonstrated. 'There has to be a god' OK... ? You base that on? Foolishness, if you ask me lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Sorry, hadn't read all the comments.

None have been shown to valid though some would argue that the real or true aspect can be related to it being true that a number of people believe it. Weird imo but have seen it argued. Some would also argue that the Universe / existence has to require a creator but that too has never been demonstrated. 'There has to be a god' OK... ? You base that on? Foolishness, if you ask me lol.

I understand that people believe in religion. Not my question, was it? The justification for religion being a thing is to be able to explain why one particular religion is true and the others not. If that standard can't be met, the only possible logical conclusion is that none are true.

Please don't feel compelled to respond unless you can directly address my question as stated repeatedly.

Edited by ozimoron

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I understand that people believe in religion. Not my question, was it? The justification for religion being a thing is to be able to explain why one particular religion is true and the others not. If that standard can't be met, the only possible logical conclusion is that none are true.

Please don't feel compelled to respond unless you can directly address my question as stated repeatedly.

I suspect the reason you have to keep asking is because you don't understand or refuse to. None have shown themselves to be valid so the question of which one/s are true and which one/s are not is effectively meaningless. Another way of looking at would be if you support a football team and they lose. The score / number of goals they lose by isn't going to effect the result.

Please don't feel compelled to respond if that basic logic is beyond you. I could possibly explain with the aid of sketches/ pictures but life is too short. Sorry.

On 7/26/2023 at 2:08 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

This topic is NOT about religion.

This topic is about SCIENCE, and the SCIENTIFIC METHOD, and also about super-smart people who demand evidence before forming opinions, and about Feynman.  How did you like the Feynman video, by the way?

when you blast the word atheist around over and over i would say the topic is certainly including religion....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hummin said:

Im talk about this life, and for some, religion give reasons to live. I also believe many who learn buddhism will se there is alot more to it, that ties them up in a conform lifestyle and it comes with complex rules to follow as well as anything else. 

I do not believe in man made reasons to live, I believe more in Nature and the law of nature. 

We are born, we need food, safety and shelter, and also reproduce. In a bigger scale with bigger societies, rules is needed, war comes and go in the need of more territories for survival reasons, and therefor religion have been used as a political tool to fight evil. 

Original religious people had another sense of reality and often seen as a mental state. Others easy to be manipulated to follow, as well political leaders see the benefits of using religion as a tool. 

The rest of us, understand the purposes, but really do not believe either in religion or politicians but are forced to choose side to protect ourselves and our families for lesser evil.

The benefits are stability for most! 

Some of us do not need religion for a sense of stability, or as a moral compass. Given what has been happening, the claim to the latter is very shaky, if not ridiculous.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Some of us do not need religion for a sense of stability, or as a moral compass. Given what has been happening, the claim to the latter is very shaky, if not ridiculous.

The arrogance of organized religions is truly amazing.  Mine is right, yours is wrong.

My take:     I do not know what power (god?) exists in the universe as it is beyond human comprehension....anyone who claims otherwise is either delusional or a liar .

Why not just leave it at that rather than try to invent all kinds of cults, rules, books, and explanations for the unknown and unknowable .  There is nothing wrong with just saying I DO NOT KNOW.

6 hours ago, JackGats said:

If you're intelligent you're evidence-driven, not faith-driven.

That's not a very intelligent statement, even from a scientific point of view.

Most scientists base their current research or theories on faith that the foundation of knowledge they are built upon is sound. Scientists seldom start anything from scratch. Evolution is a good example as few scientists question it and have a high level of faith in it. The faith in Evolution is one of the main reasons that scientists reject God. They are replacing one faith with another.

Even a scientist will hop in a car or fly in an airplane, based on faith that they are in good condition and have been well serviced.

Scientists are evidence-driven AND faith-driven.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Spot on. Brings the old Stephen Roberts (atheist) quote comes to mind, which I've always liked. Making the argument against any/all possible gods. 

'... when you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.' 

It's a wonderfully simple and thought provoking statement, which most believers just can't comprehend, as they are so immersed in their own subjective superstition. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A post in which the quoted had been altered out of context has been removed along with a reply:

28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

What has been happening over the past 3 years is almost the perfect example of the central importance of religious values such as humility, compassion, kindness, honesty. and the importance of truth.

In the hands of secular governments we got arrogance, dishonesty, vanity, greed, resentment, revenge and soulless brutality.

1 minute ago, Eleftheros said:

What has been happening over the past 3 years is almost the perfect example of the central importance of religious values such as humility, compassion, kindness, honesty. and the importance of truth.

In the hands of secular governments we got arrogance, dishonesty, vanity, greed, resentment, revenge and soulless brutality.

You only need to look at any Muslim Governed Country e.g. Iran to see why having a secular government is vital.

12 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You only need to look at any Muslim Governed Country e.g. Iran to see why having a secular government is vital.

Is the government of Iran worse than the government of China?

That would be a very difficult case to make.

31 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

That's not a very intelligent statement, even from a scientific point of view.

Most scientists base their current research or theories on faith that the foundation of knowledge they are built upon is sound. Scientists seldom start anything from scratch. Evolution is a good example as few scientists question it and have a high level of faith in it. The faith in Evolution is one of the main reasons that scientists reject God. They are replacing one faith with another.

Even a scientist will hop in a car or fly in an airplane, based on faith that they are in good condition and have been well serviced.

Scientists are evidence-driven AND faith-driven.

Wow ???? this is so wrong in every possible way. In very simple words...science is a process which requires repeatable tests which then lead to predictions which if price out are then analyzed. If all is still positive, then a conclusion is presented. The results are then reviewed and scrutinized by others. If all still pans out and the conclusions are sound, then the results are accepted. Always open to further questions, testing and evidence...complimentary OR contradictory. Repeatable testing, scrutinizing with similar conclusions and results = evidence. ZERO faith.

Nobody gets into a airplane based on faith. The aerodynamics of jet airplanes has proven to provide the safest mode of transport for decades. The pilots of commercial carriers are highly trained, skilled and thoroughly tested annually. There is confidence in a system that has proven safe and reliable for decades based on historical data, hundreds of millions of successful and safe flights and qualified pilots. ZERO faith required.

Faith would be jumping in your car on a wet road, flooring the gas pedal, closing your eyes, throwing your hands in the air and yelling Jesus, God, Allah (insert non-existent deity of choice) TAKE THE WHEEL. Likely outcome death, maiming, mutilation of self and worse...other victims. 

2 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Faith would be jumping in your car on a wet road, flooring the gas pedal, closing your eyes, throwing your hands in the air and yelling Jesus, God, Allah (insert non-existent deity of choice) TAKE THE WHEEL.

You have an absurdly uninformed concept of faith.

Faith does not mean abandoning all responsibility for your own life and handing it over to some unseen deity.

In fact, faith is the exact opposite. Faith means believing that if you do the very best on your own account, it will ultimately be to your benefit as a person, no matter what challenges and suffering you face.

• Haha 2