Honda HR-V 2023 alternatives

I'm looking to upgrade from my 10-year-old Ford Fiesta to something more recent, with more mod cons and a higher body as I'm getting older and want the ease of getting in and out without bending too far. I decided that the Honda HR-V seemed like the best bet, the right size and price, and a lot of good safety features. I booked a test drive of the top model, the RS, and was impressed. I'd have ordered it on the spot but for the fact that it's not just got a front sunroof, but almost the entire roof of the car is made of glass. The rear sunroof can be blanked off with a solid screen, but the front one only has a flimsy sliding gauze-type of affair. The day I had the test drive it wasn't even very sunny, but I was well aware of the sun shining down on me. I'm not driving around for the next 5 or 10 years with the Thai sun frying my head, so that was the RS out of the game.

There are two models, and the salesman, who was well aware of the problem with the sunroof, he said that many Thai people won't buy the RS as a result, showed me the EL. That doesn't have a sunroof and is 100K Baht cheaper than the RS, but it also lacks some of the nice features that make the RS really attractive, such as the 18" alloys, the electric seat controls, and the big chrome radiator grille. Apart from colour, there appear to be no customisation options for either model, it's take it or leave it. If that's the case then I may as well simply buy a second-hand car that I can't customise rather than pay the extra for a new car that I can't customise either.

I'm disappointed with Honda's complete absence of flexibility, so I'd like to know what other options there are in the mid-size new SUV range? I've checked out the Toyota CH-R but it's too small. The Mitsu Xpander is just a glorified people carrier, and I'm not a fan of Chinese cars. So what else is there, as I can afford a full-size SUV but don't really want something that big as it's just for me and my small dog, and sometimes the GF too.

Edited by Guderian

7 minutes ago, Jitar said:

Alternatives to Honda HR-V:

Toyota Corolla Cross (larger than CH-R),

Mazda CX-30 

Nissan Kicks 

Peugeot 2008 

I'd support the CX-30 and Corolla Cross. My preferences would be for the Mazda, but I don't like driving 200 kms to get a car serviced.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Whats your max budget?

Something in the 1 to 1.5 million Baht range, I'm not really money-constrained but I'm not going to throw it away on an imported car like a Beemer.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

You could always add a dark film to block the sun on the sun roof?

The entire roof is supposedly made of a special ceramic glass that blocks out heat and UV, but even with the sliding gauze thing closed I simply don't like having the tropical sun on my head. I thought about adding a roof rack and then putting a piece of something solid on it to block the sun, but it's a silly thing to have to do to a brand new, top-of-the-range, 1.2 million Baht car. Why on earth don't these idiots at Honda simply give you the option not to have a wretched sunroof?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

I'd support the CX-30 and Corolla Cross. My preferences would be for the Mazda, but I don't like driving 200 kms to get a car serviced.

5 hours ago, Jitar said:

Alternatives to Honda HR-V:

Toyota Corolla Cross (larger than CH-R),

Mazda CX-30 

Nissan Kicks 

Peugeot 2008 

The Mazda CX-30 was originally my preference, but when I saw how small it is compared with the HR-V, and for roughly the same money, I got put off. I also didn't feel that the finish and  accessories were anything like as good as in the 2023 HR-V.

I looked at the Corolla Cross and it might do the trick but the reviews I read weren't very favourable. I like Honda as, back in the 1990's, I had the old Honda Civic in Europe and it was a great car, very sporty. A good point, though, maybe that one does merit a bit more investigation.

I don't know anything about the Kicks or 2008, in fact I have no idea where the nearest Nissan or Peugeot dealers are. You don't seem to see many of them around Pattaya, anyway.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

I like Honda as, back in the 1990's, I had the old Honda Civic in Europe and it was a great car

I don't think you will find an alternative to the Honda HR-V. I took it for a test drive. Didn't think the sunroof was a problem. In the end I ordered the CR-V ES hybrid.

• Like 1

Pity there isn't a bit more choice here with SUVs.  My partner and I were both disappointed with the new CR-V.  I'm sure it will do everything just fine--we have a 2018 model--but we were both hoping it would have much fresher styling.  The new model looks like what the 2020 0r 2021 model should have looked like.   

Too bad Hyundai and Kia so far are importing so few models.  Hope they start bringing in something other than just the Creta.  We are keeping our fingers crossed that Nissan will import the X-Trail.  It's just the size we are looking for (Terra way too big, Kick too small) and we love the styling and interior.  For the OP, seems like Cross or HR-V as best choices for that segment.  

Here’s a video about the sunroof cover in the HR-V , the video is in Thai but it’s very short and gets it’s point across.

What were they thinking !!

Instantly turned me off this car .

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

Here is the 2024 Toyota Yaris Cross released in Indonesia and Cambodia recently and expected to be released in Thailand later this year in the 750-850k price range.

2024 Toyota Yaris Cross ยกสูงเครื่องไฮบริด คาดขายไทยปลายปีนี้ 750,000 - 850,000 บาท | AutoFun (www-autofun-co-th.translate.goog)

Why do you need something like an electronically adjustable seat ?  It is a great novelty for the seat to go up and down and backwards and forwards ''on its own'' - but in the real world and on a day-to-day basis, how many times are you going to need to adjust the seat once you have got it into the right position for yourself ?

We are all fixated with the looks of a car - but when you are driving it you cannot see what it looks like on the outside.  You spend many more hours looking at the dashboard than looking at the radiator grill or the 18'' alloys .  (Purely for ride comfort I would rather have 15'' wheels with 5'' of rubber than 18'' wheels with 2'' of rubber).

Whilst you have mentioned seats - are you looking at leather or fabric ?  I have also found leather to be harder and less comfortable than fabric.  And of course the leather is freezing cold in the (English) winter and rather hot if the car is parked in the sun in the summer - and would be more so in Thailand.

Good luck with your search.

I've been looking at the HR-V. You can easily block the heat from the sunroof by installing Solar Gard window film on the outside of the sunroof. Solar Gard is used on buildings to reflect heat from sunlight. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Picked up our EL HRV Hybrid without the sunroof in February 23

Delighted with it but would have happily bought the RS except for the stupid sunroof.

The EL is very comfortable to drive, the switch between battery and ICE is seamless and we are getting incredible economy. In the crazy Patong traffic I feel very smug sitting quietly burning no petrol.

Edited by Patong2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

Here is the 2024 Toyota Yaris Cross released in Indonesia and Cambodia recently and expected to be released in Thailand later this year in the 750-850k price range.

2024 Toyota Yaris Cross ยกสูงเครื่องไฮบริด คาดขายไทยปลายปีนี้ 750,000 - 850,000 บาท | AutoFun (www-autofun-co-th.translate.goog)

Looks good.  Thanks for posting!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

Why on earth don't these idiots at Honda simply give you the option not to have a wretched sunroof?

It's related to economies of not having a separate production line for another body shell. But sunroofs are what people think they want in a car ..but rarely use. They add unnecessary weight in the worst part,can leak and another thing to go wrong eventually. In summary - marketing..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hidbehindthesofa said:

Why do you need something like an electronically adjustable seat ?

Well for one thing I had it on my last car before I left the UK 20 years ago, a Vauxhall Omega. Has the car industry gone backwards or something, that a feature that was standard on a car two decades ago is now regarded as only fit for the top-end models?

The other point is that, here in the Land of Hand Car Washes, every time they clean the inside of my car they insist on completely readjusting the driver's seat. Because, as you say, once I get the seat in the position I like I should never have to touch it again and so I'm not really familiar with the various handles and cranks on the seat in my Fiesta. A few years ago, I was trying to get the back of the seat in the right position after the car had been cleaned, but was inadvertently cranking the seat height adjustment, with the result that the entire handle broke off! So I really do think there's a good case for having electric seat adjustment controls here in Thailand.

20 hours ago, Patong2 said:

Picked up our EL HRV Hybrid without the sunroof in February 23

Delighted with it but would have happily bought the RS except for the stupid sunroof.

The EL is very comfortable to drive, the switch between battery and ICE is seamless and we are getting incredible economy. In the crazy Patong traffic I feel very smug sitting quietly burning no petrol.

Glad to hear a positive review! From what the salesman told me, the only differences between the RS and EL are:

17" instead of 18" alloys

manual seat adjustment controls

no sunroof (hurrah!)

no fancy chrome front grille

no wireless phone recharging pad (that doesn't bother me at all)

Is that really the lot or did he miss anything out?

The other thing is that he claimed apart from these relatively minor things, the body and engine are exactly the same. So in principle, if I wanted to spend the money, I could replace the 17" alloys with 18". Is that right?

If you really want the 18" wheels, you could check with the Honda dealer if they could sell the OEM 18" wheels as an accessory.  

Alternatively, wheel and tyre shops would be able to sell non OEM / aftermarket 18" wheels and tyres to suit.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/29/2023 at 12:05 PM, Guderian said:

Something in the 1 to 1.5 million Baht range, I'm not really money-constrained but I'm not going to throw it away on an imported car like a Beemer.

Toyota Corolla Cross HEV Premium Safety ( Top end )

THB 1.2 Mill

Toyota has the highest resale of them all (if it matters to you)

https://www.toyota.co.th/en/model/corollacross/specification

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Guderian said:

Glad to hear a positive review! From what the salesman told me, the only differences between the RS and EL are:

17" instead of 18" alloys

manual seat adjustment controls

no sunroof (hurrah!)

no fancy chrome front grille

no wireless phone recharging pad (that doesn't bother me at all)

Is that really the lot or did he miss anything out?

The other thing is that he claimed apart from these relatively minor things, the body and engine are exactly the same. So in principle, if I wanted to spend the money, I could replace the 17" alloys with 18". Is that right?

The wheels and grille must be available as spare parts for the EL so you could certainly order and fit those.  Remember to budget for a set of tyres and fitting.

• Thumbs Up 1