Fatal Collision After Family Gathering in Chonburi

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Chonburi's Phanat Nikhom police were notified of a tragic accident on the Thung Hiang-Nong Samet road, headed towards the Phanat Nikhom district in the Chonburi province. Upon arrival, officials discovered an overturned white Toyota Fortuner.

Nearby, the lifeless body of 77-year-old Nuan Phraew, a Chonburi native, was found ejected from the vehicle. Seven other injured passengers from the same family were inside the car, reported Siam Rath.

Further from the scene, a red Mazda sedan was located in the roadside ditch, containing three injured individuals.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Preliminary investigations revealed that the Fortuner, after attending a mid-day family gathering at Wat Thung Hiang, attempted to overtake a vehicle but collided head-on with the approaching Mazda.

The impact resulted in one fatality and ten injuries, all of whom have been transported to Phanat Nikhom Hospital for treatment.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-07-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, flyingtlger said:

Same old song and dance....

This extended holiday is creating some Songkran style deadly  days on the roads as people decide to go visit mama in Issarn.... I heard the  North bound roads where very slow going yesterday,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Normal in Thailand.. not wearing seatbelt, no drivers education, and no police enforcement on anything, holidays or not.... Sorry for their lives but as long as nothing change it wil be common 

So like the US when Boomers were kids

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Watch the same posters grind the poor old lady for not wearing her seatbelt!!!!

These same posters are typically the age where overloading cars and not wearing belts was commonplace when they grew up. 

Is that an excuse? If she had been wearing a seatbelt it's doubtful she would have been ejected.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

These same posters are typically the age where overloading cars and not wearing belts was commonplace when they grew up. 

Is that an excuse?

9 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

But they learnt the hard lesson are still here to post about it.. unlike this driver.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Very happy to read your evidence that where these people lived had exactly the same number of road death per capita as thailand does currently - or is the theory just bull  ? 

• Love It 1

12 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Bit premature, ol' chap................................:coffee1:

12 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Does Thailand need to re-invent the wheel?

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Very happy to read your evidence that where these people lived had exactly the same number of road death per capita as thailand does currently - or is the theory just bull  ? 

Ah. So the family car was an open playground for boomers. But the road deaths per capita was lower so it was fine.

I have just heard stories from boomers who have told me that seat belts weren't a thing and weren't used

On 7/29/2023 at 6:19 AM, ikke1959 said:

Normal in Thailand.. not wearing seatbelt, no drivers education, and no police enforcement on anything, holidays or not.... Sorry for their lives but as long as nothing change it wil be common 

So sad so true. Nothing will change in the foreseeable future. My experience with police enforcement was a cop hiding in some bushes near Prachinburi jumping out and telling us we were speeding and seeing the farang driver asked my wife for 200 baht for coffee or we would have to report to the station in Thai. She turned to me and said..give me 100 baht please for the police..555 we still laugh about that one. 

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2023 at 4:55 AM, Harsh Jones said:

We didn't have seat belts to buckle up with in our vehicles and rode in the back of pick up trucks when I was a child.   

The following is somewhat off topic.

Also had no seat belts in vehicles in Texas when I was in my late teens and mid 20's, back when there were 90 & 95 mph posted speed limits.   There was also one highway that had a 100 mph posted speed limit.   When I think about those times, I don't remember seeing any wrecks. 

I did have a cousin and his son killed by a drunk, running from the cops,  that was driving over 100 mph in Louisiana in a nearly head on collision.   The cousin's wife and daughter survived the wreck with minor injuries.   The drunk survived with bruises (the lucky murdering bastard)!  No seat belts in those cars either. 

Edited by radiochaser

On 7/29/2023 at 7:14 PM, RichardColeman said:

Richard, correct. It suits the narrative. No facts though.????????

22 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Ah. So the family car was an open playground for boomers. But the road deaths per capita was lower so it was fine.

I have just heard stories from boomers who have told me that seat belts weren't a thing and weren't used

Harsh, if you have ever been to a village you would know that a car is the BIGGEST child playground.

Back in the '60's in "the West" it was the same.

I posted something similar maybe 6-7 years ago.????????

On 7/29/2023 at 2:12 PM, hotchilli said:

But they learnt the hard lesson are still here to post about it.. unlike this driver.

It is true what you say, but often the innocent people are involved, such as my GF's sister who was driven off the moped, and got hit by a moron who felt it necessary to overtake and ended up in a skid, which caused her to die.

• Like 1