Entered Thailand on visa exemption now seeking education visa for child

Hello all, hope you can help. 

We entered Thailand on visa exemption (i believe that's what it is). We hold British passports. 

We are now enrolling our three children into school. Is it correct in believing they will be able to get an education visa?

The issue then lies in what option is there then for us as parents whilst in Thailand with our children?

Ideally should have done this before we left, but we hadn't officially joined any school before we left, so didn't have the documents. 

Any help appreciated. 

Edited by DonniePeverley

The kids can get 12 monthly stays for being students.

You can get the bellow.

In the case of being a family member of an alien who has been permitted a temporary stay in the Kingdom for study in an educational institution according to Clauses 2.8 or 2.9 hereof (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children):

Criteria for Consideration

The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

The alien must have proof of relationship.

In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto; or

In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse’s children, said children, adopted children,
and spouse’s children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must
not be over 20 years of age; or

In the case of parents, funds must be deposited in a bank in Thailand, under the father’s or the
mother’s name, of no less than Baht 500,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the
applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained
for no less than 30 days prior to the filing date.

Edited by Lite Beer

1 hour ago, DonniePeverley said:

The issue then lies in what option is there then for us as parents whilst in Thailand with our children?

as parents, you can also get an ED visa by enrolling in Thai language courses.

you would need to get to a school ASAP so they can convert your current visa to ED visa - it might take 45 days I think. 

do a google search online for schools that provide ED visas in the city you are living in. 

44 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Thanks guys ...

Is it possible if my child then gets an education visa in Thailand, enrolls in the school. Could i then possibly return back to the UK, and apply for an O visa ? 

If you really want to make a trip back to England to apply for the Non O visa, there is nothing to stop you. It would be easier to do it at Immigration in Thailand, or at a consulate in a nearby country.

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you really want to make a trip back to England to apply for the Non O visa, there is nothing to stop you. It would be easier to do it at Immigration in Thailand, or at a consulate in a nearby country.

I won't be returning specifically for the visa. But if i was to return home, and my child had an education visa. Could i then obtain the O visa here in the UK ?

10 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I won't be returning specifically for the visa. But if i was to return home, and my child had an education visa. Could i then obtain the O visa here in the UK ?

If you have all the right documents, yes.

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Can both foreign parents be added to a child's Ed visa for attending school?

My recollection is that only one can, though the regulations do not make this clear. If you have two children, each parent can use a different child for the process. It is fairly unusual for two foreign parents (neither working) and their child to decide on a long stay in Thailand. I would not be surprised if the way this is handled is inconsistent.

9 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

One only.

If you have 2 kids then both parents can be added.

Exactly.

So what happens when a farang couple have 3 kids non Thai.

In my understanding it's one child per parent.

Edited by DrJack54