Just imagine if you were Thai...

bob smith

On 7/29/2023 at 4:05 PM, BangkokReady said:

Not really.  Thais don't really view things that way.  They would feel there is nothing they can do about it, and would not expect direct criticism leading to loss of face anyway.

good post

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2023 at 1:05 PM, bob smith said:

I would be ashamed to call myself a Thai at the moment.

The word 'thai' means free apparently.

They cant even get democracy right for god sake.

Just how free are these people really???

I am proud to call myself Thai, regardless of the politics. 

I was proud to call myself Scottish, regardless of Margaret Thatcher.

'Thai' does not mean 'free'. However, I can see why some think that. 

'Thai' comes from the word 'Tai', a group of people who migrated from Southern China. 

If you read Thai, you can see Phad Tai stalls have different spellings. Of course Phad Thai doesn't mean 'fried freedom' but it is very relevant in the change from Siam to Thai. Paw Piboonsongkhram the dictator in the 20's had friends in Nationalistic Europe in the late 1920s and copied Volkswagen, the car of the people, by inventing a dish for the people, partly to stop the Siamese from buying Chinese noodles(Protectionism) and partly Nationalism. 

56 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Is it OK to have a Brit of Indian descent as an MP if they are voted for?

It would be interesting to know how many people who are 100% British and have no emigrants in their family voted for this PM, as it would be interesting to know the same about Scottish people voting for a Muslim FM.

51 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

It would be interesting to know how many people who are 100% British and have no emigrants in their family voted for this PM, as it would be interesting to know the same about Scottish people voting for a Muslim FM.

I t would be interesting. My thoughts on immigrants have changed since being an immigrant myself.  Out of interest, what do you think of Thai/Chinese prime ministers?

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Who 100% British in UK ? Is Irishperson ( PC description !) from Belfast superior to UK born of Indian ? Or many MP of UK parliment with very much greater European name?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RanongCat said:

Who 100% British in UK ? Is Irishperson ( PC description !) from Belfast superior to UK born of Indian ? Or many MP of UK parliment with very much greater European name?

Yeah ya right I had a grandfather from Ireland fathers side,  a grandfather from France mother's side, both grandma's were of English decent. 

I guess I'm a mongral.

1 hour ago, RanongCat said:

Their cricket captain is Kiwi, PM is Indian.

Where are the English these days?