Alternative to Fortuner

Hey, looking for a safe SUV easily affordable and available here.

Fortuner would be my first choice but ideally I'd like something accessible 

to shorter people as well(my wife). Not sure if any SUVs would fit that but some

cars like the Nissan Kick(first google result) would.

What do you think?

If sticking with ICEV, then that Toyota Cross is looking good.  I haven't researched the spece, so ignorant on that aspect.

If EV, my wife's choice was MG ZS, she's all of 150ish cm.  I'm 175cm and works great for both of us.

Both start @ <1M baht

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

My wife is 1.52 meters  and has no problem whatsoever driving a 2022 CRV. I am 1.82  and  when sitting behind the wheel of a Fortuner I thought I couldn't see the road. Hence the CRV.

Did you try raising and/or pushing back the seat when YOU drive?

I am 176 tall with a Vigo, which is a Fortuna with a back bed. No problem seeing the road.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BugJackBaron said:

to shorter people as well(my wife). Not sure if any SUVs would fit that but some

What do you think?

a fortuner is a large, heavy car, but personally, I wouldn't consider it as a really safe vehicle ...

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

11 minutes ago, transam said:

Are you on an MG retainer......................????

I try not to recommend things I know nothing about, hence the 'haven't researched' the Cross comment, but they do look nice, and I see a lot of them when out & about.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Mrs Woof is a smurf (4 feet 12 in heels). She finds the Fortuner fine to drive. Personally I find it a little awkward to get into because of the seat bolsters.

Lack of memory seat function (position of the driving seat between me and the Mrs is rather different to say the least) is one of my biggest moans though. Forever having to manually (electronic, but still manual) change the seat position, mirrors etc.

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Did you try raising and/or pushing back the seat when YOU drive?

I am 176 tall with a Vigo, which is a Fortuna with a back bed. No problem seeing the road.

Yes, of course, the Toyota gave me  that distinct truck feeling while the CRV has the feeling of a sedan, with a more elevated driver position. Before  moving to Thailand I had been zipping around Tel Aviv in a small Renault  Modus and when I got the  CRV didn't need any adjustment at all.

2 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Mrs Woof is a smurf (4 feet 12 in heels). She finds the Fortuner fine to drive. Personally I find it a little awkward to get into because of the seat bolsters.

Lack of memory seat function (position of the driving seat between me and the Mrs is rather different to say the least) is one of my biggest moans though. Forever having to manually (electronic, but still manual) change the seat position, mirrors etc.

Sounds like you need a BMW....????

• Love It 1

48 minutes ago, BugJackBaron said:

What do you think?

I'd go for a Honda CRV

If you like a smaller crossover better, like the Nissan Kick, there's the Honda WRV

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Surely a CRV has a LOWER driver position than a Vigo/Fortuner. No?

Sure, and yet you don't have a truck bonnet in your face as in the [2015] Fortuner. BTW my post was saying that the CRV driving position is more elevated than that of a sedan.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, the Fortuner is not a rally car or to be driven like one............????

As for inferior braking, I have never had a problem stopping one, unless you have dodgy legs..........????

Yep, I used to drive this in my younger years, wasn't a rally car and I managed to stop it, most of the time.

And, some may say it is more advance than the Fortuner as it was a front wheel drive.

C2CV.jpeg

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BugJackBaron said:

Thanks for all the replies. I have some homework to do.

As long as I can get a car/SUV second hand in the 7000 dollar range(I am told that is the minimum u should consider for safety)

I'll be happy.

The price is nothing to do with the safety of a second hand car @ Bht 240,000. It's the maintenance and the quality thereof, looking after, lack of accidents etc which matter