Does Your 20-Year Refrigerator Warranty Keep You UP at Night?

31 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

You're thinking way too much...

Yes.

And now, I am thinking of The New Yorker, and Cheever's Swimmer.

I cannot help but feel that Cheever might have worried about refrigerators, too, in the wee hours, when he was alive.

image.png.b7ae10757f2599eb276817e58dbf3927.png

The story is here, and for free: 

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1964/07/18/the-swimmer

• Love It 1

56 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I lie awake at night wondering what nutty new tangential thread the OP will compose.

I remember not so fondly a refrigerator I was married to.

Tangential. 

Good! 

Anyone wishing to have another eureka moment should never attack a problem head on. 

• Love It 1

I would hope that readers would understand that the refrigerator is not just a refrigerator, but also a metaphor for the accumulated material wealth we needlessly worry over, as we approach our happy ending. As we age, many of us become overly concerned with preservation of the physical possessions which truly become quite meaningless, in the end.

And I mentioned Cheever and his short story The Swimmer, which is one of his masterpieces. Cheever's The Swimmer is full of symbolism, and it is haunting.

It is the "winter" that is the focus, and also the loss.

In Cheever's story, the protagonist looses EVERYTHING, his house, his wealthy suburban lifestyle, his high society friends, and even his family. He is left cold and shivering, completely lost in the world.

Here is what one critic wrote of The Swimmer:

image.png.0fdefb336808b51039ccbcaea7612d7e.png

I have found this short story most thought provoking over the years.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I would hope that readers would understand that the refrigerator is not just a refrigerator, but also a metaphor for the accumulated material wealth we needlessly worry over, as we approach our happy ending. As we age, many of us become overly concerned with preservation of the physical possessions which truly become quite meaningless, in the end.

And I mentioned Cheever and his short story The Swimmer, which is one of his masterpieces. Cheever's The Swimmer is full of symbolism, and it is haunting.

It is the "winter" that is the focus, and also the loss.

In Cheever's story, the protagonist looses EVERYTHING, his house, his wealthy suburban lifestyle, his high society friends, and even his family. He is left cold and shivering, completely lost in the world.

Here is what one critic wrote of The Swimmer:

image.png.0fdefb336808b51039ccbcaea7612d7e.png

I have found this short story most thought provoking over the years.

Golf is a metaphor for life as well. Although not a popular one, because it tests character just as life does.

I am a minimalist, if a physical possession of mine did not have a function useful to me, I would not be buying it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Golf is a metaphor for life as well. Although not a popular one, because it tests character just as life does.

I am a minimalist, if a physical possession of mine did not have a function useful to me, I would not be buying it.

I believe in the philosophy of minimalism.

But my philosophy of minimalism may not be the same as yours.

I do not mindlessly follow my belief as do some robotic-style minimalists.

Therefore, my purchase of two refrigerators does not contradict my belief.

My minimalist code of behavior involves a. buying only what is needed, b. buying only what will be used and thoroughly appreciated every day, or almost every day, for a period of at least 10 years, c. being able to look back from five years in the future while being able to also say I am really thankful I bought that.

• Love It 1

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I believe in the philosophy of minimalism.

But my philosophy of minimalism may not be the same as yours.

I do not mindlessly follow my belief as do some robotic-style minimalists.

Therefore, my purchase of two refrigerators does not contradict my belief.

My minimalist code of behavior involves a. buying only what is needed, b. buying only what will be used and thoroughly appreciated every day, or almost every day, for a period of at least 10 years, c. being able to look back from five years in the future while being able to also say I am really thankful I bought that.

I have to wonder why people still wear watches, when their smartphone tells the time just as well. With a display which is much easier to read without glasses.

12 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I even bought a freezer thermometer which told me that the freezer compartment stayed below negative-25 degrees C, which is what I require.

Are you serious -25c are you storing sperm? is it even possible for a domestic freezer to get that low? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I have to wonder why people still wear watches, when their smartphone tells the time just as well. With a display which is much easier to read without glasses.

At even a DEEPER level, and being the minimalist that I AM, I have to wonder why people replace their perfectly good smartphones with a newer version, just about every year, when there is not that much advantage to doing so...

And also, I need not wonder too long, because... I know a bit about conspicuous consumption driven by increasing population density. There definitely IS a correlation between higher population density and increased conspicuous consumption.

I have a NOTE4 which is perfectly adequate for my needs, just because I have a phone for one reason: function

By the way, this will be the Topic of my next OP.

I just wanted to tell you in advance, in order that you will have no need to lay awake this evening wondering about what my next nutty tangential OP might be.

(By the way: During the past few decades, I have been bugged by the common usage of the words LAY and LIE...  I believe that hens LAY and humans LIE...  What say you?)

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Are you serious -25c are you storing sperm? is it even possible for a domestic freezer to get that low? 

Yes, it is. My domestic freezer fluctuates from negative-40 degrees C, to just a bit over negative-25 degrees C. (Also, I keep my 500-liter fridge in my air conditioned office, which is kept cool 24/7.  The reason is that I am trying to preserve the compressor's low noise attributes. I keep my other Hitachi fridge in the kitchen.  But the kitchen is so hot that, now, the noise level of the compressor on that machine has doubled or tripled, since it works hard to maintain my freezer at the lowest design temperature, which, for that machine, is about negative-18 degrees C.)

Also, if you are storing ice cream, then it is necessary, in order to make ice cream taste better, to store it at an even lower temperature in a commercial freezer, which I, alas, do not possess.

In addition:  At this point in my life, there is no need for me to store sperm of any kind.  If I had such a need, then I would probably have to buy another freezer, one which was based on a liquid nitrogen cooling system that could achieve a constant balmy negative-196 degrees C.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

"Does Your 20-Year Refrigerator Warranty Keep You UP at Night?".......

No, but the noise emitting from the fridge did so I got another. Problem solved. I never get warranties on anything. Total scam. As I tell the salespeople every time the try to sell me a warranty.... "if I need a warranty then you're telling me this thing isn't built very well". That shuts them up.

Edited by HuskerDo2
  • Like 1

Just get a new fridge. I bitched to my landlord about the noise from my old fridge and he paid 10,000 baht for a new BEKO inverter fridge. Dead silent with adjustable temps in both compartments and LED temp meters on the front door. I don't remember what the warranty was but it seemed pretty decent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

By the way:  I use silicone ice trays which remain perfectly flexible at negative-40 degrees C.

And, it's fun (at least for me) when the ice cubes are so cold that they stick to my fingers, even when I give my finger a good shake.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

At even a DEEPER level, and being the minimalist that I AM, I have to wonder why people replace their perfectly good smartphones with a newer version, just about every year, when there is not that much advantage to doing so...

And also, I need not wonder too long, because... I know a bit about conspicuous consumption driven by increasing population density. There definitely IS a correlation between higher population density and increased conspicuous consumption.

I have a NOTE4 which is perfectly adequate for my needs, just because I have a phone for one reason: function

By the way, this will be the Topic of my next OP.

I just wanted to tell you in advance, in order that you will have no need to lay awake this evening wondering about what my next nutty tangential OP might be.

(By the way: During the past few decades, I have been bugged by the common usage of the words LAY and LIE...  I believe that hens LAY and humans LIE...  What say you?)

Now I lay me down to sleep, I cannot tell a lie. Although I could lie down for a short nap, before watching a lay preacher on Youtube lay down the law.

I have had to replace my venerable OPPO A37 because the battery life was getting very short. It is still functional on a trickle charge.

I drive a 17 year old Vios in Thailand, and an even older vehicle in Australia. Conspicuous I am not. Solvent I am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I would not blame you for doubting my word about the freezer temperature.

However, as you can see from the photo here, I actually understated the low temperature by a few degrees C.

This domestic-use freezer (top compartment of my fridge) maintains negative-30 degrees C...IF I don't keep opening the door, for example to take photos of the freezer thermometer.

IF I use a digital thermometer with a remote sensor connected by a wire (so that the freezer door can remain shut while monitoring the inside temperature), then the air temperature will sometimes go down to negative-50 while the freezer blower is operating.

I am very happy with the low temperature because I like to keep my meat fresh.

image.thumb.jpeg.ff9914f2a961023e0ef55a8fd9846fa9.jpeg

Note:  I don't consider minus-30 degrees C to be especially cold. I have driven around in colder temperatures while in Quebec in the winter. Minus-48 degrees C is cold when driving around on the roads of Canada, and the snow is no longer slippery at this temperature. Sound changes, too, when it gets that cold, just due to the change in the density of the air.  Cars were not made to operate in those temperatures, and even the behavior of tires changes. Driving around in those temps in Quebec, in 1972, was a real blast!

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Simplicity. I wear my Casio Edifice solar-powered on my left wrist. My carry my phone is in my left back pants pocket. If I want to check the time it's easier and quicker too just look at my watch on my wrist, than taking my phone out of my pocket and powering up the screen to read the time. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 3:53 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

what will happen if the compressor fails in 18 or 19 years? If I am not around, will anyone force the company to replace the compressor?

Simple. Ask to be buried in the fridge and if the compressor stops working after 18-19 years you could take care of it yourself

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

Simplicity. I wear my Casio Edifice solar-powered on my left wrist. My carry my phone is in my left back pants pocket. If I want to check the time it's easier and quicker too just look at my watch on my wrist, than taking my phone out of my pocket and powering up the screen to read the time. 

You are so time-poor you need to do that?