Am I S.O.L.?

Unless you can physically trace the visa agent, SOL.

Do you have any documents from the agent, such as a receipt for what you paid, or an agreement? Without those, it is difficult to establish a case of fraud.

During COVID, several Thais I know switched occupations.

1 hour ago, watgate said:

, is their any government agency we can contact to possibly assist us? I also realize this is a common occurrence

The best way for a Thai person to leave for holiday in another country is to go to the countries embassy in question themselves.

The UK embassy was helpful to my Wife but she had to travel a long way backwards and forwards a couple of times but got her holiday visa for UK and after that a 2 year visa, all I to do was sponsor her.

• Like 1

It is actually usually fairly easy to trace down thais as they all have ID cards. 

If you have his name you can go to the police and ask them to look it up on their computer.

If you have a freindly copper you know he can easily do this. If not just slide over a 500 baht note discreetly and they will do it.

Then you will have his home address.

Then if you are not up for a bit of biffo yourself you need to contact a freindly local mafia debt collector. 

He will want 30-50% to get your money back.

Which isnt ideal, but better than the bloke who scammed you keeping it.

In most cases the mafia will have the police contact anyway and save you step 1.

Dont give up.

Revenge must be paid.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

What kind of visa were you trying to get? Tourist?  I did mine for my wife. no agency needed.

Now working on a "green card" visa, it's complicated but still easy to jump through the hoops.

I'm guessing you can kiss that 93k good-bye.

• Like 2

Unfortunately in most cases like these to pursue it requires a police report.  Getting an attorney costs money.  If you track down the staff.  You would need to get the police involved anyway to get your money back. 

You don’t specify the type of visa.  If it’s tourist visa.  They are extremely difficult to get.  I knew one person in Bangkok who worked for a large company.  She makes a substantial salary.  She has no problem getting tourist visas to 

visit her sister in USA.  I know another person that has a government job in Bangkok.  She has been rejected  twice lately for a tourist visa to USA.

93000 baht for what type of visa?  What type of promises did they make for that amount of money?

Watgate ....   sorry to hear your bad news,  it was bad timing with COVID starting obviously. 

The agency won't answer the phone

The office is just a closed gate

It's obvious he's done a runner

Getting a police report won't solve or do anything unless your looking to take the agency to court,  which going down that road will just cost you thousands more and could take 12 months or even longer,   to me that's pointless.

If it was me,  I would find a Thai debt collector / fix it guy / enforcer  ....  offer him 20,000 if he can recover your 93k or as much as possible, pro-rata the offer.    ( these guys are around, you just have to know who to ask )

sadly,  that's about all you can do ....  but I wouldn't hold to much hope on getting your money back.

hope you can get through this terrible ordeal.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't understand the op nor all the replies to the topic.

The op - if you're a us citizen, why pay an agent 93k for a tourist visa for your wife? Why not apply yourself? The actual cost for visa fee and getting all the required documents would have been a fraction of this amount. Another point is when COVID started and ask restrictions came about - why didn't you contact the agent and ask for a partial refund as the process couldn't proceed?

Now, after 4 years you want to continue what was started back then? Doesn't make any sense IMO.

As for all those who say the agent did a runner - with all the restrictions of travel during the COVID era I would assume he had no business going and probably either just closed the business and went on to do something else or maybe even went bankrupt like so many other business in those bad times. Accepecting the agent to refund any of the money 4 years after its just stupid. And suggesting the op to engage in a criminal activity? For less than 93k? Come on....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tough luck and $hit out of it. While that does suck, I'll take your "Covidiocy" lock out/shut down loss over mine, which ended tragically with the death of my 32 y.o. gf of 10 years, any time. Just for a bit of perspective. Be glad you still have her. ????

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Goat said:

It is actually usually fairly easy to trace down thais as they all have ID cards. 

If you have his name you can go to the police and ask them to look it up on their computer.

If you have a freindly copper you know he can easily do this. If not just slide over a 500 baht note discreetly and they will do it.

Then you will have his home address.

Then if you are not up for a bit of biffo yourself you need to contact a freindly local mafia debt collector. 

He will want 30-50% to get your money back.

Which isnt ideal, but better than the bloke who scammed you keeping it.

In most cases the mafia will have the police contact anyway and save you step 1.

Dont give up.

Revenge must be paid.

and then potentially owing a "favor" to the local heros?? rather not id say

19 minutes ago, Zapitapi said:

and then potentially owing a "favor" to the local heros?? rather not id say

They do have to be managed but TIT. It is better to have them on your side than not.

i have never seen the point of visa agents........  if you need to apply for a visa, who is likely to try harder to get the visa, you and your wife, or the agent (who has already been paid)

i have had three UK visas for three seperate thai ladies

(i am good at visas applications, but rubbish at relationships ???? )

i am always gonna apply myself, as i know i will give it 100% effort to obtain the visa