UK to retain EU safety mark in latest Brexit climbdown

Social Media

47 minutes ago, sandyf said:

No doubt you think they have given up selling to the EU in favour of the far east & Oz.

This is evidenced by the fact that one in eight small exporters have temporarily or permanently stopped selling to the EU and a further nine per cent are thinking about it, according to the Federation of Small Businesses' Small Business Index.

https://www.fsb.org.uk/resources-page/international-trade-how-small-firms-are-responding-to-brexit-challenges.html

A very selective bit of quoting/editing on your part!

Scroll down three clicks in it and I quote from the same source;

"Small businesses have also been disproportionately disadvantaged by the disruption that the COVID-19 pandemic caused to the global supply chain. In addition, because of their size, they don’t necessarily have the resources needed to meet the rising upfront costs of exporting.

The war in Ukraine, inflation and the energy crisis have all added to the burden. Cumulatively, they have resulted in a loss of customers and a shortage of key commodities such as wheat, driven up costs and made it harder to find suppliers and secure trade routes.

Despite these initial shocks, trade is starting to improve, with UK exports to the EU up 2.6 per cent at £16.9 billion in May 2022 from April 2022, according to the Office for National Statistics – their highest level since current records began in 1997, although part of this is down to the impact of higher prices. The bigger picture looks more promising, too, with total global exports rising 7.4 per cent over the same period."

(my emphasis added)

57 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Yes experiences differ and  yours obviously had little to with product CE certification. You really think those who breach regulations are bothered about who created the regulations. You obviously jumped to one conclusion on the breach of regulations, saving money does not equate to a reduction in quality. Changing a component for one of a similar or better quality may or may not save the company some money. Failing to update the technical file could save the company a substantial amount of money.

The UK had lower quality products before CE marking and it wasn't a good thing. Only a certain mentality would want to go back there.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it was you who said:

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

Amazing how times have changed. 

When the directives started to appear, CE marking was viewed like the plague by manufacturers and the public alike.

High level management took it as a paperwork exercise and didn't think twice about telling employees to breach the regulations in order to save money.

At no time have I advocated going back to lower quality products in the UK.

Though I suspect it is a consideration for those arguing in favour of deregulation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

I see you are having a good BREXIT day....................????

No quite.

I’m having a good day observing a BREXIT climb down.

The UK indefinitely applying the CE mark and in doing so the EU laws, regulations and standards upon which it is based.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Despite these initial shocks, trade is starting to improve, with UK exports to the EU up 2.6 per cent at £16.9 billion in May 2022 from April 2022, according to the Office for National Statistics – their highest level since current records began in 1997, although part of this is down to the impact of higher prices. The bigger picture looks more promising, too, with total global exports rising 7.4 per cent over the same period."

(my emphasis added)

Can you please provide a link to this data.

I suspect, as is normal for Government trade data, it does not account for inflation between the period since April-May 2022.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No quite.

I’m having a good day observing a BREXIT climb down.

The UK indefinitely applying the CE mark and in doing so the EU laws, regulations and standards upon which it is based.

As well as the UK mark, which all sounds sensible for all to me, after all, there are probably EU folk who are glad to see a UK mark on UK stuff, and why not...

If I were in the UK, I wouldn't give a stuff what "marks" were on anything I wanted to buy, of course you don't like UK stuff, it's against your way of thinking......:whistling:

Open your eyes, back your country for once, you will feel better for it...????

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Can you please provide a link to this data.

I suspect, as is normal for Government trade data, it does not account for inflation between the period since April-May 2022.

Read my post which is in response to a link! ????

18 minutes ago, transam said:

As well as the UK mark, which all sounds sensible for all to me, after all, there are probably EU folk who are glad to see a UK mark on UK stuff, and why not...

If I were in the UK, I wouldn't give a stuff what "marks" were on anything I wanted to buy, of course you don't like UK stuff, it's against your way of thinking......:whistling:

Really. You think businesses think it's sensible to go to the time and expense of getting their products certified. You think those that have done it are happy that it turn out their effort was wasted? Funny how the same people who complained about the EU regulatory burden have no problem when the burden comes from the UK.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Really. You think businesses think it's sensible to go to the time and expense of getting their products certified. You think those that have done it are happy that it turn out their effort was wasted? Funny how the same people who complained about the EU regulatory burden have no problem when the burden comes from the UK.

A rubber stamp..........................????

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

A rubber stamp..........................????

Inflation must be worse than I thought in the UK...

"Businesses had called on the government to extend the use of the CE mark, saying that forcing them to meet new UK rules, which would initially duplicate EU product standards, would add significant costs at a time when many have been trying to get over the disruption caused by the pandemic and stubbornly high inflation."

...if a rubber stamp can impose "significant costs".

• Like 2

Pretty clear that the powers that be (WEF, BlockRock, assorted globalists, Biden, Obama etc.) want the UK back in the EU.

This lot and their media have gotten rid of so-called Brexiter opportunists Boris Jonsbum & Liz Truss and have placed globalist puppets rItchy Nutsack & Jeremy <>unt in charge.  Next up will be globalsit puppet / CFR member Keith Stoner so it seems the UK'll be back in by 2030.

Problem is the EU is in a bit of a pickle as they''re in recession and a LOT of the European public are not happy and are voting more and more for right-wing nationalist politicians.  Will it be able to hold together?  Probably but it'll be fun watching to see if the globalists can defeat the peoples

Interesting times.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ICU Kid said:

Pretty clear that the powers that be (WEF, BlockRock, assorted globalists, Biden, Obama etc.) want the UK back in the EU.

This lot and their media have gotten rid of so-called Brexiter opportunists Boris Jonsbum & Liz Truss and have placed globalist puppets rItchy Nutsack & Jeremy <>unt in charge.  Next up will be globalsit puppet / CFR member Keith Stoner so it seems the UK'll be back in by 2030.

Problem is the EU is in a bit of a pickle as they''re in recession and a LOT of the European public are not happy and are voting more and more for right-wing nationalist politicians.  Will it be able to hold together?  Probably but it'll be fun watching to see if the globalists can defeat the peoples

Interesting times.

Which recession? Apart from Germany. The Eurozone growth rate is higher than Brexited UK.

One question (a real one). How is the Brexit project not globalist? Global Britain, web of free-trade deals, Singapore-on-Thames, a global financial market hub, less regulation, lower worker protections, etc... Is that not globalist?

18 minutes ago, candide said:

Which recession? Apart from Germany. The Eurozone growth rate is higher than Brexited UK.

One question (a real one). How is the Brexit project not globalist? Global Britain, web of free-trade deals, Singapore-on-Thames, a global financial market hub, less regulation, lower worker protections, etc... Is that not globalist?

Mate Idc about the UK either and I live here.

These EU and UK/EU (nutsak & <>unt) political sock puppets meet regularly to drone on about nonsense that only the most genuine idiots (u know who u are : ) care about:

sending more money to Ukraine, 

diversity & inclusion (aka more immigration & more idiots promoted above their abilities),

so-called climate emergency,

pandemic preparedness and other such bs

Meanwhile the general public are actually beginning to see through the gaslighting as they struggle with higher and higher prices.

Will the EU survive? Idk & tbh Idc

Let alone about what stickers go on what plugs

Edited by ICU Kid

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Remainers are not renowned for their respect of Democratic processes and principles?

Calling people they disagree with Bigots? Yes

Respecting votes? Not so much

I wasn't aware this fellow was a remainer:

Nigel Farage: Narrow Remain win may lead to second referendum

"The question of a second referendum was raised by Mr Farage in an interview with the Mirror in which he said: "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681

• Like 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

I wasn't aware this fellow was a remainer:

Nigel Farage: Narrow Remain win may lead to second referendum

"The question of a second referendum was raised by Mr Farage in an interview with the Mirror in which he said: "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681

Nigel Farage, who's he, oh, the bloke wiv money problems...????

1 minute ago, transam said:

Nigel Farage, who's he, oh, the bloke wiv money problems...????

Funny. I thought he was the guy who launched Brexit and was the most prominent leader of the movement, and after Johnson entered the fray, the second most prominent. My mistake.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Funny. I thought he was the guy who launched Brexit and was the most prominent leader of the movement, and after Johnson entered the fray, the second most prominent. My mistake.

Yes, and it seems ol' Nige bails out of everything he sticks his nose into, but not seen him talking much about his chum Donald, unless I have missed it........:whistling:

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I wasn't aware Farage was a British MP.

I wasn't aware Farage represents all Brexiteers. 

He is entitled to his opinion as any private citizen is.

On this issue I disagree with him. Fortunately the British people made it a moot point. It was a huge victory which was implemented. A victory for Democracy against left wing big state, big government, federalist authoritarianism.

Nice one Nige...

Not just Nigel, you should extend your congratulations to his boss. Putin was cock a hoop at the value for money he got there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

He is only just starting. He already brought the UK out of the corrupt EU.

He is going after the politically biased lefty virtue signalling banks now. With success again.

Store up that hate. Hold onto that anger. You're going to need it. 

Coutts, the bank of choice for capitalist tax cheats, royalty and other greedy, immoral scumbags is a bastion of virtue signalling lefties? Are you sure?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

It’s not simply a matter of what you or anyone else is happy to see, it’s more importantly a matter of what meets requirements for import/export.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Coutts, the bank of choice for capitalist tax cheats, royalty and other greedy, immoral scumbags is a bastion of virtue signalling lefties? Are you sure?

Yep.

It's not the 80's any more. Maybe time to put away that Proclaimers LP and swing a leg into 2023.

51 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yep.

It's not the 80's any more. Maybe time to put away that Proclaimers LP and swing a leg into 2023.

No, I am not convinced that Coutts is aiming for Swampy's business. I think they still prefer to cater for the more well heeled scumbags.

Could it actually be that Farage, ever the pliant puppet willing to sell anyone down the river for hard cash, having secured brexit for Russian money, was working to help his GB News boss to short Nat West?

Anti-woke billionaire nets millions from NatWest debacle

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

No, I am not convinced that Coutts is aiming for Swampy's business. I think they still prefer to cater for the more well heeled scumbags.

Could it actually be that Farage, ever the pliant puppet willing to sell anyone down the river for hard cash, having secured brexit for Russian money, was working to help his GB News boss to short Nat West?

Anti-woke billionaire nets millions from NatWest debacle

You're quite the conspiracy theorist aren't you ????.

I'm not sure how you think Farage convinced the bank to write the scathing dossier on him and then not only breach his client confidentiality but also close his account, but don't let something like logic stand in your way... 

Nope, rest assured, Coutts/NatWest brought this all on themselves with their political posturing and pathetic virtue signaling. 

Go Woke. Go Broke.

• Thumbs Up 2

Top consultant at law firm hired to investigate Nigel Farage’s account closure is ‘pro-Remain lawyer’

“The chair emeritus and senior consultant, Chris Hale, is a “pro-Remain lawyer” who said Brexit was “a tragedy”.

“He wrote about “xenophobia, racism and nostalgia” during the Brexit debate… These are the same words used against me in the secret Coutts dossier.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/07/28/chris-hale-consultant-natwest-law-firm-brexit-tragedy/

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Top consultant at law firm hired to investigate Nigel Farage’s account closure is ‘pro-Remain lawyer’

“The chair emeritus and senior consultant, Chris Hale, is a “pro-Remain lawyer” who said Brexit was “a tragedy”.

“He wrote about “xenophobia, racism and nostalgia” during the Brexit debate… These are the same words used against me in the secret Coutts dossier.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/07/28/chris-hale-consultant-natwest-law-firm-brexit-tragedy/

The majority of people across the UK recognise that Brexit was a tragedy of utter stupidity.

Is the integrity of everyone who acknowledges this to be rejected by the minority forever?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

The majority of people across the UK recognise that Brexit was a tragedy of utter stupidity.

Is the integrity of everyone who acknowledges this to be rejected by the minority forever?

Your statement remains unknown until another eu referendum is held what we have seen so far is a series of online polls , so all the people that don't have internet access or don't take part in online polls there views are unknown