I am a uk citizen with thai wife i am over 50 and i want to settle in thai now. what type of visa can i apply for so i dont have to keep renewing all the time??/ i would have trouble proving income but have sufficient money in bank. I also aim to start a business do i need work permit etc, sorry for my ignorance but hope someone can help.

Hi there,

You can apply for a 12 month multiple entry non immigrant 'O' visa and apply for an annual extension of stay from any immigration office in Thailand based on retirement. as you are over 50. You will need to deposit 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account.....No visa runs.

Forget trying to stay on the basis of being married to a Thai unless you can show at least 40k Baht/month income.

Hi there,

You can apply for a 12 month multiple entry non immigrant 'O' visa and apply for an annual extension of stay from any immigration office in Thailand based on retirement. as you are over 50. You will need to deposit 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account.....No visa runs.

Forget trying to stay on the basis of being married to a Thai unless you can show at least 40k Baht/month income.

Thanks geoff

can you tell me how much this will cost and how can i apply for thai bank account.

All the Visa info' you need can be found from the consulate in Birmingham, including the new fees: http://www.thailand-visa.com/

You shouldn't have any difficulty opening a bank account at any of the High St banks here. They'll need a copy of you passport and visa and it would probably smooth the process if your wife was with you at the time.

Good luck

geoffphuket

You seem to be changing your plans rather quickly. A few weeks ago you were taking the wife's kids to live in the Uk...and then opening a shoe shop. Are you sure you want to live here?

Well spotted !

Another poster that can,t be bothered to search the forum for Visa info. :o

You would think at over 50 years of age you would have a definate plan in mind.

Edited by stevemiddie

1. If you intend to work in this shop ownership you need a work permit and that is not available from retirement - x-out retirement extension

2. If you have no way to show 40k family income you can not obtain a family extension - x-out family

3. Next best is multi entry non immigrant O visa - this will require exit/entry of country every 90 days and not available everywhere.

If you do not work you can obtain retirement visa that allows a one year stay upon police check/medical and proof of 800k baht or more in a home bank and then extend on a yearly basis with proof of the money in a Thai located bank for 3 months prior to application.

You seem to be changing your plans rather quickly. A few weeks ago you were taking the wife's kids to live in the Uk...and then opening a shoe shop. Are you sure you want to live here?

yes well spotted geoff, we are keeping our options open because what i want to do at the end of the day is make sure i am doing the best for my wife and her family and also mine, so there is lots for me to ponder. she is happy either way i am 55 now so i want to make sure i do the right thing because as you know if i do decide to live in Thai then there is no going back bcause financially for me it would very difficult. I want to make sure i use the money i have to the best effect and here in the uk they make it so hard to make a decent living and i guess thats why some of you are there now.the shoe shop was my idea cos i have a daughter here who can run it and maybe make some money for me while i am there?? ok so all of you have lived there for some time now please tell me would you ever come back????

yes well spotted geoff, we are keeping our options open because what i want to do at the end of the day is make sure i am doing the best for my wife and her family and also mine, so there is lots for me to ponder. she is happy either way i am 55 now so i want to make sure i do the right thing because as you know if i do decide to live in Thai then there is no going back bcause financially for me it would very difficult. I want to make sure i use the money i have to the best effect and here in the uk they make it so hard to make a decent living and i guess thats why some of you are there now.the shoe shop was my idea cos i have a daughter here who can run it and maybe make some money for me while i am there?? ok so all of you have lived there for some time now please tell me would you ever come back????

Similar situation to you before. Had to decide whether to sell my UK home or not as i realised it would not be easy to get back onto the housing market once i left.......due to increasing prices etc.

The first year was tough here in Thailand............new culture etc. Trying to get used to the " no problem " culture as nothing happens fast here. Now into my 3 rd year...............very happily settled, nice home , car, lovely wife.

I went back to the uk 6 months ago for a 2 week holiday. I changed my flight plans after 4 days as i was missing Thailand so much and being back in the UK reminded me of my reasons for leaving in the first place.

I made the best move and i,m not returning ( touch wood )

Hope everything pans out for you.

Well spotted !

buy

come on stevie dont be hard on me..lol i am making plans thats why i am asking you experienced people for views etc i have looked at visa section but want to be sure before i make wrong choice. please tell me do i need work permit if i want to buy some apartments and let them out????

Well spotted !

buy

come on stevie dont be hard on me..lol

I,m not being hard............just realistic. :D See my other post previous giving my point of view to your question. :D