Non-O Based on Marriage to Retirement?

So I entered Thailand on the 90 Day Non-O based on marriage only to find out that our marriage overseas (in the US) isn't recognized here in the Kingdom, not without obtaining the US State Dept's Authentication, then sending it on to the Royal Thai Consulate in LA etc... US Embassy doesn't authenticate these documents. Oddly, anyone can easily pull it up to see if it's valid at the County Level online.. But I digress.  

My 90 day Visa expires Oct 8th, my b-day is the 10th and I hit the big 5-0. I was thinking I could exit the country and apply for the Retirement Visa (would need to be based on my monthly pension). I have the Thai bank already but will fall short of the 800k in there, so based on what I'm reading the monthly income/pension >65k thb per month would be my only possible option. 

Also, what is an income certificate? 

Anyone here know if this is possible to do without too much drama? I'm guessing I'd need to exit Thailand Oct 7th regardless...

Thanks in advance for any information. 

53 minutes ago, ajs73 said:

So I entered Thailand on the 90 Day Non-O based on marriage only to find out that our marriage overseas (in the US) isn't recognized here in the Kingdom, not without obtaining the US State Dept's Authentication, then sending it on to the Royal Thai Consulate in LA etc... US Embassy doesn't authenticate these documents. Oddly, anyone can easily pull it up to see if it's valid at the County Level online.. But I digress.  

My 90 day Visa expires Oct 8th, my b-day is the 10th and I hit the big 5-0. I was thinking I could exit the country and apply for the Retirement Visa (would need to be based on my monthly pension). I have the Thai bank already but will fall short of the 800k in there, so based on what I'm reading the monthly income/pension >65k thb per month would be my only possible option. 

Anyone here know if this is possible to do without too much drama? I'm guessing I'd need to exit Thailand Oct 7th regardless...

I think your easiest solution (for the moment) is probably a multiple entry Non O visa from Savannakhet. The border bounces might be inconvenient, but you are going to have difficulty (unless you want to go the agent route) getting in country extensions.

As you are a US citizen, you cannot get an income letter from your embassy. A retirement extension, based on income at almost all immigration offices, would require a minimum of 12 monthly deposits of 65k+ baht into your Thai bank account. You could switch to a retirement extension after building up 800k baht in your bank account.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, ajs73 said:

I have the Thai bank already but will fall short of the 800k in there, so based on what I'm reading the monthly income/pension >65k thb per month would be my only possible option.

Not possible as you would require 12 month of 65k transfers per month. 

You could exit Thailand prior to October 8 reenter Thailand visa exempt (border bounce) and apply for a non O retirement.

Even if you could place 800k in Thai bank account doubt if you could obtain extension based on retirement with your  existing non O based on marriage as your first extension would need to be based on marriage.

You would need 800k+ on the day you apply. 

That gives you another 90 day stamp and in last 30 days obtain 12 month extension.

For next extension you could changed to based on marriage. 

Can't afford that ? Use an agent. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

I think your easiest solution (for the moment) is probably a multiple entry Non O visa from Savannakhet. The border bounces might be inconvenient, but you are going to have difficulty (unless you want to go the agent route) getting in country extensions.

As you are a US citizen, you cannot get an income letter from your embassy. A retirement extension, based on income at almost all immigration offices, would require a minimum of 12 monthly deposits of 65k+ baht into your Thai bank account. You could switch to a retirement extension after building up 800k baht in your bank account.

Thanks for your reply and the info, yeah it's my own damn fault... Live n' learn.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not possible as you would require 12 month of 65k transfers per month. 

You could exit Thailand prior to October 8 reenter Thailand visa exempt (border bounce) and apply for a non O retirement.

Even if you could place 800k in Thai bank account doubt if you could obtain extension based on retirement with your  existing non O based on marriage as your first extension would need to be based on marriage.

You would need 800k+ on the day you apply. 

That gives you another 90 day stamp and in last 30 days obtain 12 month extension.

For next extension you could changed to based on marriage. 

Can't afford that ? Use an agent. 

I've noticed the "Use an agent" comment here and in other forums. Will look into that for sure. Thanks for the info!

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Do not believe he would have any issue extending any non immigrant O visa entry for retirement if he can provide financials.

But it is possible to do the marriage extension of stay by following the rules.  Believe this starts with State marriage recorded in paperwork to State Department in DC and then to Thai authorities but should be able to search procedure for details.  I would avoid agents with a ten-foot pole.

Edited by lopburi3

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Do not believe he would have any issue extending any non immigrant O visa entry for retirement if he can provide financials.

But it is possible to do the marriage extension of stay by following the rules.  Believe this starts with State marriage recorded in paperwork to State Department in DC and then to Thai authorities but should be able to search procedure for details.  I would avoid agents with a ten-foot pole.

You're correct, the only issue I'm up against is the time-line. Process is actually strait forward. Sec of State in NV Apostilles, then goes to US State Dept. for "Authentication", then goes to Thai Embassy LA for their "Authentication", then goes to me back here in Thailand... Tax man sure is pervasive.. 

I'm looking into that extension now actually. Thanks for your reply! 

• Like 1

as others have posted you need to have 12 x 65,000thb showing as received from abroad, so this method is good for the 2nd year in Thailand.

you would need 800,00thb in a bank account in your name only to obtain your 1st yearly extension, you could obtain a one off 60 day visit Thai wife extension to give you more time to raise the 800,000thb.

as others have posted you could obtain multi entry non 'O' married to a Thai visa  from savannakhet to cover your 1st year, then use the monthly income route for the 2nd years 'retirement' yearly extension.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ajs73 said:

You're correct, the only issue I'm up against is the time-line. Process is actually strait forward. Sec of State in NV Apostilles, then goes to US State Dept. for "Authentication", then goes to Thai Embassy LA for their "Authentication", then goes to me back here in Thailand... Tax man sure is pervasive.. 

I'm looking into that extension now actually. Thanks for your reply! 

Believe you can extend your 90 day stay for 60 days on basis of visiting wife if need more time.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Happy to be corrected however don't agree.

There are many threads re changing from based on retirement to marriage etc....

However for the very FIRST extension it must be done on the what the non O is based on.

The OP entered with a non O based on marriage.

It's my understanding that he cannot obtain an extension based on retirement for his first extension. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

If the Non Imm O Visa was provided for reason of marriage, the first 1-year extension has to be based on the same reason, i.e. marriage.  According to immigration regulations you can only change the reason for your 1-year extension application when you are already on a 1-year extension. 

45 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe you can extend your 90 day stay for 60 days on basis of visiting wife if need more time.

Unfortunately, such 60-day extension of stay application requires a Khor-Ror-2 (marriage certification statement) that his marriage is still registered in the Thai national marriage register.  And that's the same requirement that is holding him back to apply for the 1-year extension of his 90-day Non Imm O (marriage) Visa.

In his case the easiest way to get more time is to exit Thailand and apply for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O (marriage) Visa at the Thai consulate in Savannakhet (just over the Friendship bridge from Mukdahan). 

That ME Non Imm O (marriage) Visa ONLY requires the official Marriage certificate - if it is in english language - and the Visa will be delivered next day (cost 5.000,- THB).

This thread spells out the requirements: https://aseannow.com/topic/1302289-savannakhet-non-imm-o-visa-application-requirements-some-questions/ making it clear that he would not have any probem applying there with his US Marriage certificate. 

Note that once he got his US marriage certificate registered in the Thai national marriage register, that he would be able to apply at his local Imm Office for the 1-year extension based on that Savannakhet acquired ME Non Imm O (marriage) Visa.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Happy to be corrected however don't agree.

There are many threads re changing from based on retirement to marriage etc....

However for the very FIRST extension it must be done on the what the non O is based on.

The OP entered with a non O based on marriage.

It's my understanding that he cannot obtain an extension based on retirement for his first extension. 

My experience is totally opposite your understanding. I entered Thailand with a non O based on marriage and my local immigration did their best to convince me to extend based on retirement and not marriage. So I don't think that how you obtained the non O is relevant. If the OP applies for a 30 day extension then this will take him past his 50th birthday and he qualifies for a retirement extension as long as he has the 800k seasoned for the correct amount of  time.

• Like 1

How things have change in the 32 years. We were mairred in the USA for 10 before we moved here. All we needed then was US Embassy to stmp the letter of auth and translated the document into Thai. Then to the Thai MFA to stamp it and the to the local Umper for registered in the Thai national marriage register.  Used that to exten stay up to one base on marriage. Late change to retirement as it was so much easyer for yearly extensions.

On 8/3/2023 at 3:23 AM, ajs73 said:

I found that hard to believe as my Thai wife and I were married in Canada 17 years ago 2006, and I got a one year multi Non O Visa from the Thai consulate in Vancouver as I was traveling back and forth for the first 4 years, then when I moved permanently to Thailand in 2010, I applied and received an Non O extension. 

The Process I had to do in Thailand was to go to the Canadian Embassy, get a statement that I am able to be married, went to MFA and got our Marriage License translated to Thai, the went to our local Amphur (Thong Lo) and registered our marriage, then I had no problem getting a Non O based on marriage extension.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dsj said:

The Process I had to do in Thailand was to go to the Canadian Embassy, get a statement that I am able to be married,

You were officially married in Canada and claimed you were single in Thailand to got married again?  Or did your Consulate just confirm already married paperwork?   USA requires State of marriage confirm first and then it is made official for foreign use by Dept. of State.  Consulate can not do that due to privacy laws.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2023 at 7:48 AM, lopburi3 said:

Thanks for this, in fact I was literally wondering about that!

9 hours ago, dsj said:

I found that hard to believe as my Thai wife and I were married in Canada 17 years ago 2006, and I got a one year multi Non O Visa from the Thai consulate in Vancouver as I was traveling back and forth for the first 4 years, then when I moved permanently to Thailand in 2010, I applied and received an Non O extension. 

The Process I had to do in Thailand was to go to the Canadian Embassy, get a statement that I am able to be married, went to MFA and got our Marriage License translated to Thai, the went to our local Amphur (Thong Lo) and registered our marriage, then I had no problem getting a Non O based on marriage extension.

"US Embassy" doesn't validate anything non-Federal anymore apparently... I think they used to but from what I can tell this practice was stopped earlier this year or maybe last year. I tried to get them to Authenticate my Marriage Certificate when I went in to have my Passport Copy Notarized last week and they basically told me to pound-sand... lol

3 minutes ago, ajs73 said:

Thanks for this, in fact I was literally wondering about that!

Another poster says 60 days requires local marriage KR2 form so if true would not be available - but believe it is up to official discretion rather than specific paperwork and designed for providing extra time as you might need so would give it a try if you need.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

There is no 30 day extension on a single entry Non-O

Wrong. A provisional extension of up to 60 days can be granted to a Non O visa holder if that visa was issued on the basis of being married to a Thai national or it was issued based on having a Thai child. The extension is completely discretionary but so are all extensions.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Poster did not say a 60 day extension was not available.  Only that the 30 day tourist entry extension was not available on non immigrant O visa entry.

Thanks ????

15 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Wrong. A provisional extension of up to 60 days can be granted to a Non O visa holder if that visa was issued on the basis of being married to a Thai national or it was issued based on having a Thai child. The extension is completely discretionary but so are all extensions.

I refer you to your first word - because that is what you are  ???? There is no 30 day extension for a Non-O (I am well aware of the 60 day extension).