Painting & Decorating my house exterior - Have we got any BM's with experience in this trade ?

19 hours ago, rwill said:

Most of the Thai painters I have seen love to thin the heck out of the paint first.  To the point of it looking watery.

7 hours ago, jcmj said:

I find that most of the time they add water to the paint to get more out of it, and that is why the paint doesn’t last long. 

Yes indeed they do and of course watering the paint down would make it easier to apply but without the thickness its no surprise it does'nt last long. I actually had the carport ceiling redone as i had a leak and the guy did'nt water down the paint, i watched him applying and it was more difficult to cover but only marginally.

I'd imagine watering down means you don't use as much paint and consequently it does'nt cost so much so homeowners don't mind.

Now is it recommended by the paint manufacturers to water it down ?

2 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Why so often?  Last time I painted the house was 22 years ago and it still looks fine.

I think the answer to your question is the last time ''I painted the house''. You obviously did it to a high standard and know what you're doing. The pic of my house is after it was painted 4 years ago and now its not looking the same in lots of areas for whatever reasons, i'm no painter. 

• Thumbs Up 1

expensive primer and cheap top coat
is better than
cheap primer with expensive top coat
thing is the walls have already been painted so the paint you apply now is only as good as the coats underneath
one thing you should do if concerned about what is already up is jetwash the walls
not saying get everything back to bare but get rid of any paint that may peel later or is already peeling
of course you could get back to bare and make sure all is done properly
but this would likely mean doing it yourself
preparation is key, but i am yet to see a decent local painter that preps everything
most do as little as possible to get paid (like everywhere)
and once a fresh coat of paint is up, the house will look lovely for a while

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I think the answer to your question is the last time ''I painted the house''. You obviously did it to a high standard and know what you're doing. The pic of my house is after it was painted 4 years ago and now its not looking the same in lots of areas for whatever reasons, i'm no painter. 

mosts houses do need repainting every 3-5 years, especially when not done great to start
also stuff like house design, location comes into play with how much is exposed etc
you should be good to budget for every 5 years imo
and if you use the same colours, it is not so expensive, as less coats will likely be required

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Yes indeed they do and of course watering the paint down would make it easier to apply but without the thickness its no surprise it does'nt last long. I actually had the carport ceiling redone as i had a leak and the guy did'nt water down the paint, i watched him applying and it was more difficult to cover but only marginally.

I'd imagine watering down means you don't use as much paint and consequently it does'nt cost so much so homeowners don't mind.

Here in Thailand you need to water down/thin the paint
yes manufacturers usually state CAN water down 5-10%
the issue in here is evaporation, the problem with painters is they may water the paint down a lot just once before they begin
and many just assume 2 coats is enough without standing back to check
ideally the paint should have a touch of water/thinner as paint is being used when its exposed to the warm air
when painting you can literally feel the paint has thickened over 10-20 mins or so
even when using small amounts taken from the tub/tin

• Thanks 1

No need to paint concrete if you do it right from the start.

Don't know what this is called, but there's 3 colors plus a glossy finish.  They did this on various indoor and outdoor walls.  Some walls are painted a solid color.  You need to mix it up to make it look more interesting. 

Painting the entire house the same color is the mark of amateurs.

This style looks good. 

If you want to paint this it's not because it "needs it" it's only because of your "feelings". ????

IMG_20230814_081732.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Idk if this is worthwhile, but it seems a good idea to me.

We were driving past a TOA place the other day, and popped in to see if we could get a discount over the big stores. It turned out they were the local distributors, they immediately dispatched two sales reps out, they made a few calls, took pictures of the plans and gave us a BOQ. One thing we have “learned” is that no tradesman in this country can assess quantity, It’s either way over or you are returning to a shop multiple times to buy small quantities negating any discount you have made by buying bulk in advance. At least a sales rep may give a good starting point, over some local who has no real technical knowledge other than over diluting the paint makes it faster to apply.

I need to contact Kaptain and Berger. Does anyone have any other suggestions of reliable manufacturers? I have used dulux in the past on interior walls, but I don’t have the budget on the exterior of this build. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/12/2023 at 8:36 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Yes, I read a fb comment - the commenter was a rep for a paint company and gave some % figures, was interesting. I forget now, but more than x% will be over dilution but is often done by Thai painters because it makes their job easier,

We have kept our eyes on things like this during our build .. builders cutting corners to save a few baht, I guess it all adds up and Thai people on the whole don’t mind it. It’s quite a battle with the builders to get them to understand some concepts like spending a little bit of time and money now, doing things right saves a lot of time and work in the future.

29 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Don't know what this is called, but there's 3 colors plus a glossy finish.  They did this on various indoor and outdoor walls.  Some walls are painted a solid color.  You need to mix it up to make it look more interesting. 

This style looks good. 

If you want to paint this it's not because it "needs it" it's only because of your "feelings". ????

IMG_20230814_081732.jpg

I hate this finish, sorry. I find it rather tacky. It’s often found on blue houses with accompanying orange stripes.

I have always loved simple white house’s of the Mediterranean, the color is for a reason, they reflect the sun. Each to their own, tho’

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/7/2023 at 11:57 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Thankyou, i'd hazzard a guess that the required preparation work is not being carried out to the necessary standard TIT and probaly the rest of the world lol

''If you skimp on primer the top coat peels off'' and that is what is happening to an area i lean on, its wearing off and i'm thinking there's not enough paint on here.

I'm not one for standing over workmen but perhaps i should take more interest in what they are doing from time to time.

New house builds,  preparation is never carried out, then they use the cheapest  Emulsion paint they can  find,    then water that  down, if you  wipe the painted surface with a damp   sponge  you will probably find  the  sponge is the same color as the wall.. Spend some money on a good quality paint,  it will look good and it will last a lot  longer

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

This style looks good. 

IMG_20230814_081732.jpg

This type of finish is called "Loft" style and comes in a variety of colours, for both inside & out and is available  from all major retailers as well as online from the usual suspects.

IMG_20230814_091626.thumb.jpg.f79b03c8382569395aa3bf289da4e868.jpg

Edited by Yeah rightio
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, actonion said:

New house builds,  preparation is never carried out, then they use the cheapest  Emulsion paint they can  find,    then water that  down, if you  wipe the painted surface with a damp   sponge  you will probably find  the  sponge is the same color as the wall.. Spend some money on a good quality paint,  it will look good and it will last a lot  longer

I always use Dulux, its not cheap but quality 'anything' never is ime.