Jump to content

Painting & Decorating my house exterior - Have we got any BM's with experience in this trade ?


Recommended Posts

Now i'm shortly gonna need my house exterior painted, its the Thai traditional rendered walls. I'm no painter/Dec and never do myself so i have no experience. When painting should a primer/undercoat be first applied then 1 or 2 coats of top coat ? I previously have had done by way of a recco from friends but i'm not convinced the correct process is followed as i'm seeing signs of wear ie not enough paint being applied.

Many thanks guys for any help.

P1000670.JPG

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Rumpelstilskin said:

If you skimp on primer the top coat peels off. Preparation, cleaning B4 any paint is applied. Time of 24 hours between coats. Cant recommend a painter, good luck.

Thankyou, i'd hazzard a guess that the required preparation work is not being carried out to the necessary standard TIT and probaly the rest of the world lol

''If you skimp on primer the top coat peels off'' and that is what is happening to an area i lean on, its wearing off and i'm thinking there's not enough paint on here.

 

I'm not one for standing over workmen but perhaps i should take more interest in what they are doing from time to time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I send the wife up the ladders for any painting or repairs ,get dizzy 

when only 3 steps up , I have explained it to her and she's OK with it.

 

One thing you need to do is buy the paint you want ,yourself ,or

they could get any rubbish for you , and keep an eye on the number

of paint tins , paints expensive now.

 

regards worgeordie

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Almost nobody will recommend workmen here for a good reason, they think they will get the blame if the job is poorly done, as it often is. BIL had his house painted, there was almost as much paint on the surrounding areas as on the walls!

  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Easier to do it yourself, in the long run.

Normally I would agree. If you want a job done properly , do it yourself....especially in Thailand.

 

However, if I were doing a two storey house i would not want to work from a ladder.  A scaffold would make things a lot easier and be a lot safer. Plenty of room to put your paint and brushes down on.  Then again , when its hot outside , the heat can be hard to deal with over several hours so might be easier to get a local to do it. Just make sure you don't employ a cowboy with a bamboo ladder and no dust sheets.

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Denim said:

Normally I would agree. If you want a job done properly , do it yourself....especially in Thailand.

 

However, if I were doing a two storey house i would not want to work from a ladder.  A scaffold would make things a lot easier and be a lot safer. Plenty of room to put your paint and brushes down on.  Then again , when its hot outside , the heat can be hard to deal with over several hours so might be easier to get a local to do it. Just make sure you don't employ a cowboy with a bamboo ladder and no dust sheets.

I used a roller on a bamboo pole

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, RayWright said:

If you live near the sea and have green mold, then a spray / wash with sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl)  first before the primer. 

I prefer copper sulphate. Hypochlorite works on bacteria, it is not as effective on biomass.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, proton said:

I used a roller on a bamboo pole

Yes , thats the common way but when you want to cut in along the edge where it meets the roof a roller can't quite get in there. We have a bungalow so a lot easier to access all points with roller and brush.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, RayWright said:

If you live near the sea and have green mold, then a spray / wash with sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl)  first before the primer. 

 

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I prefer copper sulphate. Hypochlorite works on bacteria, it is not as effective on biomass.

Fortunately i don't live near the sea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, proton said:

I used a roller on a bamboo pole

I was very lucky I had a good decorator, 3 coats inside and out barely a drop spilt. He had an off-sider and i kid you not only had the use of one arm/hand, bamboo pole with roller was his forte pole tucked under the armpit of his bad arm.:thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You only need to apply a primer/undercoat if it is a  new or bare wall, to repaint you need to wash down the walls to remove the oxidized surface which is very prevalent in Thailand then apply 2 coats of the new colour. Looking at the pic the paint looks to be in good condition and provided you are not going to change the shade too much 2 coats of a quality exterior paint should be fine but if the colour is very different/lighter a 3rd coat may be needed. Oxidization is the paint breaking down  on the surface due to sunlight leaving a powdered surface, this needs to be removed or it will cause the new top coats to start lift as they will not bond to the old surface, any lose or flaking paint needs to be removed and if a bare wall remains this needs to be sealed before applying the top coats. Make sure if you use thai workers they do not water down the paint, even in Australia you could find shonky painters that would add too much water causing the paint to break down a lot faster, good qality paint should give at least 15 to 20 years of life provided you wash down the surface every 3 or so years. I brought all my gear with me when I moved here many years ago so had my metal extension poles, high quality rollers/sleeves and top of the line brushes plus all my drop sheets, being a tradesman I am very fussy.

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, seajae said:

Looking at the pic the paint looks to be in good condition and provided you are not going to change the shade too much 2 coats of a quality exterior paint should be fine but if the colour is very different/lighter a 3rd coat may be needed.

Many thanks for your detailed post. I intend having the same Dulux colour so will heed your advice and get wifey to convey to the painter.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My father swore by Dulux paint and used to spend hours in England cleaning and preparing the surface, he said it is the most important part of painting.

 

After many years painting the house and perimeter walls in Thailand I don't think that applies here, the paint they make here covers everything under it with no preparation, mold, dirt, discoloring, it covers everything and does not come through later even after many years.

 

We have three rai of land and painting the outside wall is like paining the forth bridge, on our first attempt at painting we jet washed and wire brushed all the dirt and mold off, but as we moved on didn't bother, result after many years later absolutely no difference at all.  I have a theory that Thai paint is made specially to cover everything,

I usually use TOA, sometimes I thin it with a little water other times I don't bother. Buying paint at the home depot shops is more expensive than buying it at a specialized paint shop

 

Picture attached is of wife and sister painting outside wall after fifteen years, as it was a lite color originally and trees and grass grew up against it, it did not wear well.

No need for undercoat on existing paint, just match it and paint over it after removing any loose bits.

Its is easier if you use a roller on a proper steel pole, not one of the plastic ones, they bend and you cant get the pressure on the roller.

 

Match and buy the paint yourself, make a note of the paint number, date and get a blob of paint on the label, check  the base they used A B or C  this is the variable,  then find someone to do the job for you if you want, we have the big climbing frames and the little frames also ladders, trucks and dozens of brushes and rollers etc so we always do it ourselves.

 

 

 

20230708_101532.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Rimmer said:

My father swore by Dulux paint and used to spend hours in England cleaning and preparing the surface, he said it is the most important part of painting.

 

After many years painting the house and perimeter walls in Thailand I don't think that applies here, the paint they make here covers everything under it with no preparation, mold, dirt, discoloring, it covers everything and does not come through later even after many years.

 

We have three rai of land and painting the outside wall is like paining the forth bridge, on our first attempt at painting we jet washed and wire brushed all the dirt and mold off, but as we moved on didn't bother, result after many years later absolutely no difference at all.  I have a theory that Thai paint is made specially to cover everything,

I usually use TOA, sometimes I thin it with a little water other times I don't bother. Buying paint at the home depot shops is more expensive than buying it at a specialized paint shop

 

Picture attached is of wife and sister painting outside wall after fifteen years, as it was a lite color originally and trees and grass grew up against it, it did not wear well.

No need for undercoat on existing paint, just match it and paint over it after removing any loose bits.

Its is easier if you use a roller on a proper steel pole, not one of the plastic ones, they bend and you cant get the pressure on the roller.

 

Match and buy the paint yourself, make a note of the paint number, date and get a blob of paint on the label, check  the base they used A B or C  this is the variable,  then find someone to do the job for you if you want, we have the big climbing frames and the little frames also ladders, trucks and dozens of brushes and rollers etc so we always do it ourselves.

 

 

 

20230708_101532.jpg

Where did you buy that table thingy? looks like it could be very handy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Where did you buy that table thingy? looks like it could be very handy.

 

I have two of those in different heights, they are very handy, forget where I bought them but saw one in Mega Home a few days back dont remember if it was the tall one or the shorter one, I think Hardware House also have them now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

 

I have two of those in different heights, they are very handy, forget where I bought them but saw one in Mega Home a few days back dont remember if it was the tall one or the shorter one, I think Hardware House also have them now.

Nice one - thanks for that.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2023 at 6:04 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

I previously have had done by way of a recco from friends but i'm not convinced the correct process is followed as i'm seeing signs of wear ie not enough paint being applied.

Many thanks guys for any help.

When repainting, it's important that all loose paint is removed and the walls are flushed.

 

Always use a good primer and make sure it covers well. I normally make two layer of primer with one day between.

 

For color coat use a high quality paint, otherwise you might need to redo the job too often. A semi gloss is best for outdoor, the glossy look will quickly disappear.

 

I've use TOA products to paint my house. For outdoor two layer of Quick Primer – you can use same primer for re-painting – and three layers of SuperShield. TOA is today recommending SuperShield Acrylic Akali Resisting Primer for new concrete. My outdoor painting has so far lasted for 13 years.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...