EV and parkings

10 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Those statistics are available for ICE cars (maybe not broken down into fuel type), if you google, you’ll find them, the American government keeps statistics and so do many insurance companies.

Generally, ICE cars are 60 times more likely to catch fire than battery EV’s.

But you are right, a major EV fire in a multi-storey car park is going to be very bad news. However, they have been around for 10 years, and it’s not been a major issue yet.

“The study found that electric car fires occur in 3 out of every 1,000 starts, while internal combustion car fires occur in 1 out of every 10,000 starts.

https://vedaing.com.mk/blog/statistics-vehicle-fire-causes

FV-Fires-Situations.jpg

2 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

“The study found that electric car fires occur in 3 out of every 1,000 starts, while internal combustion car fires occur in 1 out of every 10,000 starts.

https://vedaing.com.mk/blog/statistics-vehicle-fire-causes

FV-Fires-Situations.jpg

This has been posted before, Vedaing are a small company in Macedonia who produce and sell Lithium Battery Suppression Systems. It's biased and contradicts real life statistics gathered by the US NTSB and Insurance Companies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Have owned and used plenty of lithium batteries, different chemistries, abused during use & charging, and not 1 has had an oops yet.

Now with 3 EVs and better made batteries, and smarter use & charging, I expect me record of no oops to continue.

Especially with the car, since using LFP, which I yet to read about any, anywhere, having an oops.

Can't say the same about fossil fuel using machines.   Though myself, never had a problem, but I maintain my machines, and keep all those moving parts and fuel lines in good shape.

With few exceptions, I suspect most oops to be 'user error'... from experience & IMHO

Parking and EV next to your house is the equivalent of Oppenheimer in September 1945 asking if he can store a box with the label #3 in your garage ???? ????. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Thanks for the chuckles.  

So older buildings in TH shouldn't allow fat people inside, since built when average weight of Thai adult was 40-50kg, and now many are overweight.

You're a funny guy.

When I bought a new Honda Civic in 1974, it weighed 680 kg. In 2023, over 1400 kg. That's an ICE, the engines weigh about 120 kg.

EV battery weights start at about 450 kg, and can be up to 900 kg for the cars with maximum range.

Any road engineer will tell you the heavier a vehicle is, the more damage it causes to the road surface.

Perhaps the government should taxing EV's more for that reason.

Still feel like laughing?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

Yes, absolutely.  

Laughing in silence with no Noise, Vibration & Harshness, laughing all the way to the bank and making such a wise decision purchasing 3 of them.

Do you park them side by side as well?

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Do you park them side by side as well?

When my daughters come home from University in Chiang Mai or I stay with them for occasional weekends, yes we park side by side.

I have another EV open top sports on order (deposit paid) for middle of next year, first one in Chiang Rai comes to me, and I told them today I will have an MG4 X-Power as soon as they are released here, sales manager told me they are coming.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Yes, absolutely.  

Laughing in silence with no Noise, Vibration & Harshness, laughing all the way to the bank and making such a wise decision purchasing 3 of them.

I don't think you will be laughing if you are one of the unlucky ones whose ride burns...

You have admitted it happens too........:whistling:

A bit like those who don't get vaccinated, then laugh that they never caught what the vax was for....????.....they forget that others did the same and did catch it....????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Yes, absolutely.  

Guess L forgot the roads are built for 6-10-18 wheelers.  

Incentives for EVs, get 'em while they're hot ????

MG ZS 1570 kg vs big boy @ 55.5 tons

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

When my daughters come home from University in Chiang Mai or I stay with them for occasional weekends, yes we park side by side.

I have another EV open top sports on order (deposit paid) for middle of next year, first one in Chiang Rai comes to me, and I told them today I will have an MG4 X-Power as soon as they are released here, sales manager told me they are coming.

Enjoy...  

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto/news/fire-at-ev-parking-in-delhi-nearly-hundred-cars-and-e-rickshaws-gutted-41654666813987.html

Screenshot_20230808_182450_Chrome.jpg

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

Note to self:

Don't park my EV at CS in Delhi

I appreciate the tip.

Note to yourself, make sure your insurance covers ALL damages caused by your EV........................????...........................:stoner:

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

A good point, apparently some insurance policies don't cover the battery.

I am referring to damage you cause damaging other cars, buildings etc via your EV battery fire.

If it does, what is the premium, and what are the limits....?

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I am referring to damage you cause damaging other cars, buildings etc via your EV battery fire.

If it does, what is the premium, and what are the limits....?

I don't know, what are the limits on your ICE car?  it's 60 times more likely than mine to catch fire.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know, what are the limits on your ICE car?  it's 60 times more likely than mine to catch fire.

Normal, I want to know about your EV that could destroy a car park, a house, etc............:whistling:

If you don't know, I would suggest you park in a field until you do....????

18 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Note to self:

Don't park my EV at CS in Delhi

I appreciate the tip.

Don't park your EV inside at Central Festival or Big C in Chiang Rai either.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

But I've owned 2 (or more) ICE vehicles for the past 50 years and not one ever burst into flame while parked in my driveway/garage/carport.

Average Americans own 6-cars in their lifetime. If they were bursting into flames while parked, it would have been a major events and we would have plenty of data. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

During the burning season, it might be hard to distinguish Chiang Rai from Delhi through the toxic pollution. 

It can get bad here, I guess I am lucky it doesn’t bother me too much.

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Don't park your EV inside at Central Festival or Big C in Chiang Rai either.

Central Festival welcomes EV’s, they even have Charging Stations, they used to be free. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Central Festival welcomes EV’s, they even have Charging Stations, they used to be free. 

.............for WELL INSURED EV's...............????

1 minute ago, transam said:

.............for WELL INSURED EV's...............????

Sorry, I must’ve missed those warnings at the entrance to central, I’m sure there is a sign there somewhere telling you you’re EV has to be well insured.

Sorry, I must’ve missed those warnings at the entrance to central, I’m sure there is a sign there somewhere telling you you’re EV has to be well insured.

You reckon, in Thailand, where you can drive a car with NO insurance, just the gov. thingy......................????

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Perhaps CF won't be so welcoming after their first EV fire, given their inside parking layout it could get very interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1