EV and parkings

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps CF won't be so welcoming after their first EV fire, given their inside parking layout it could get very interesting.

Like everything in LOS, something big has to happen before anything is done, deaths on pedestrian crossings come to mind.....????

• Confused 2

ICEV parked and decided ... flame on ... 

'Lincoln City Fire Inspector, Brad Hasenjaeger' ...

"The exact cause of the fire was unknown, although Hasenjaeger speculated a mechanical malfunction in the car, which had been parked for around a half-hour prior to the incident. 

“It had only been driven 2 miles, it’s not like it had been driven hard and hot,” Hasenjaeger said. “Something in the electrical didn’t shut off and it kept churning, shorted and caused a fire.”

https://www.dailynebraskan.com/news/breaking-news-academy-lincoln-parking-garage-fire-triggered-by-car/article_3603ddf6-6525-11ed-9bf3-83b620aec2db.html

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Yes, absolutely.  

Laughing in silence with no Noise, Vibration & Harshness, laughing all the way to the bank and making such a wise decision purchasing 3 of them.

Once there are enough of them to reduce petrol tax income governments will most likely introduce a road tax on EVs to make them comparable to ICE cars. I doubt you'll be laughing to the  bank anymore.

BTW enjoy trying to sell an EV when anywhere near battery change date, and I understand that EVs depreciate rapidly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Once there are enough of them to reduce petrol tax income governments will most likely introduce a road tax on EVs to make them comparable to ICE cars. I doubt you'll be laughing to the  bank anymore.

BTW enjoy trying to sell an EV when anywhere near battery change date, and I understand that EVs depreciate rapidly.

anywhere near battery change date ... that is a good one ...

since when has an ev car a battery change date? can you tell us more please?

you seems to know a lot about ev's ...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Is 500k - 900k kms considered rapidly, and that's only down to 70-80% capacity.

LFP Battery cycle.png

Battery degradation is tricky and full of pitfalls. Only charge to 70%, don't rapid charge, don't live in a hot climate,  etc.

https://www.chargedfuture.com/electric-car-battery-degradation/

This Tesla didn't make it as far as your dream prediction.

Tesloop’s fleet of Teslas travel hundreds of miles a day. In fact, they have most of the highest mileage Tesla Model S and X with several over 250,000 miles. 

Their highest mile EV is known as eHawk with over 440,000 miles. This particular electric car has had two battery replacements–both under warranty. The first replacement was just under 200,000 miles and the second was just under 400,000 total miles (200,000 miles if restarting the mileage clock from the 3rd battery install).

screen-shot-2018-04-14-at-2-54-02-pm-1-1.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Think of the annual 'safety inspection' to renew tax for vehicles aged 7 years or more. "Does it start, Somchai?"; "Yes"; "Okay, pass".

Took mine yesterday, and first they checked the VIN matched the papers, blue book. THEN he started it, revved it looking in the mirror for smoke. THEN he kicked the tyres. DONE!

Bht 200 for the check, Bht 3500 for the year's tax.

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, motdaeng said:

anywhere near battery change date ... that is a good one ...

since when has an ev car a battery change date? can you tell us more please?

you seems to know a lot about ev's ...

Mind boggling isn't it.  We keep posting real info, and others keep posting BS.

Surprised TBL posted that, as he's usually more rational. 

Expect the others to pull info out of the orifices.  Would hope just showing their ignorance, but obviously their bias, since so much accurate info has been posted, and yet, they continue with their silliness.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Wasn't there a ship full of EV's burning recently?

do you know the investigation results of the outbreak of the fire?

could you please provide us with some information?

to the best of my knowledge, the cause of the fire outbreak remains unclear!

by the way, there was also a plane crash recently ...

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Wasn't there a ship full of EV's burning recently?

Another ship full of bananas sank ...

... them damn bananas ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Another ship full of bananas sank ...

... them damn bananas ????

That was caused by an EV

Butterfly effect.  Fan came on whilst EV battery being charged causing ripples in the fabric of space-time and a typhoon on the other side of the world sank that banana boat.

+1 to the Anti EV'ers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

That was caused by an EV

Butterfly effect.  Fan came on whilst EV battery being charged causing ripples in the fabric of space-time and a typhoon on the other side of the world sank that banana boat.

+1 to the Anti EV'ers.

I am not anti-EV. I acknowledge their advantages. In fact, I was one of the first people in Australia to have rooftop solar on my house, and it paid off handsomely.

My ICE will probably outlast me. It makes no sense for me to buy an EV, except perhaps as a status symbol. I have never wanted to impress friends, neighbors and relatives with possessions. I tread my own path.

Having said that, I am anti the spurious virtue signalling that goes on with EV owners who are recharging their pride and joy from fossil-fuelled power stations. Unless they are recharging from a renewable source, their virtue signalling is egregious stupidity.

I am also anti EV owners who refuse to admit the technology has unresolved problems, and seek to ridicule those who point them out.

It's as if EV has become a religion, AFAIK most religions reject dissent.

Religions also rely heavily on belief, and are well known for discarding fact if it does not fit the narrative.

BTW, do you know who originated the term "butterfly effect"?

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

That was caused by an EV

+1 to the Anti EV'ers.

It is not a plus one to anti-EV'ers, it is a fact pointed out by folk who have concerns about EV's..........????

It is folk like you that dismiss "points", as a "nothing", but then again, we have folk on here who don't get their kids vaccinated for kid diseases, because they don't believe in them.......????

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, motdaeng said:

do you know the investigation results of the outbreak of the fire?

could you please provide us with some information?

to the best of my knowledge, the cause of the fire outbreak remains unclear!

by the way, there was also a plane crash recently ...

The Dutch coast guard said Thursday the cause of the blaze was unknown, while Dutch media reported that the battery of an electric care started the fire.

https://www.dw.com/en/burning-ship-off-dutch-coast-has-more-e-cars-than-thought/a-66375203#:~:text=A spokesperson for the company,Japanese manufacturers were on board.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

Folk like me? Do you mean people with EV's who defend them against the same old nonsensical arguments from the same old luddites who repeat themselves like broken records?

It's probably true to say that for the members here who bought EV's, it was an epiphany about how excellent they really are and we like to share our good fortune and help others tread the same path.

No, folk like you that dismiss the "obvious" concern points put forward.....????

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, transam said:

No, folk like you that dismiss the "obvious" concern points put forward.....????

I prefer to refute them with statistics (eg prevalence of EV fires), where valid points are made, I accept them, you can see what I say about Hydrogen vehicles possibly being superior to BEV's, but H2 is just too little too late.

There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that BEV's are far superior to ICE vehicles, by almost every measure.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

In it's exact phrase, Edward Lorenz but in it's meaning it goes back to the 1800's and the German Philosopher Johann Fichte.

Friedrich Schiller ( 1759 - 1805 ) originated the concept in one of his short stories, appropriately doom-laden. It's quite possible Fichte either borrowed it, or alternatively came up with it contemporaneously. Much like Darwin and Wallace with evolution theory.

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Me - EV & parking vs ICE version of same

Can leave it running w/dog inside (AC on)

... no pollution (ICEV pollutes)

... no worry of fire w/LFP battery (60X fire risk)

Cost nothing w/excess solar

Uses minimal energy

Quiet, disturbs nobody with noise or fumes

I can't think of 1 negative, owning the EV vs ICE version of same car, MG ZS.

... better performance

... lower operating & maintenance cost

... expect much longer life, 500-900k kms vs <500 kms at substantial savings.

... and, staying on topic, I can park it anywhere, leave running, without disturbing anyone.  At curbside at a restaurant, and nobody is going to ask me to 'turn that smelly think off'

No, they just stand well clear....................????

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

The Dutch coast guard said Thursday the cause of the blaze was unknown, while Dutch media reported that the battery of an electric care started the fire.

https://www.dw.com/en/burning-ship-off-dutch-coast-has-more-e-cars-than-thought/a-66375203#:~:text=A spokesperson for the company,Japanese manufacturers were on board.

Does not matter where the fire started as once EV's containing 500 slabs of self oxidizing fuel joined the party it was game over.

I hear the ship will enter salvage with a new name Dutch Oven.

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

You raise an interesting theory that we can easily test by looking at the Thailand Motor Discussion Forum.

If you are correct,  anybody starting a discussion on let's say the Toyota Fortuner, would be swamped by EV zealots calling on the OP to repent and see the light of EVs (easy to see if this is true)

If in fact the reserve is true,  then someone starting a discussion about EVs would have to fend off a hoard of ultracrepidarians and constantly have to fact check every post. To use your own words it is tiring to constantly have to deal with 

Ultracrepidarian is a new word for me, thanks.

Your hypothesis depends on whether EV zealots have any interest in ICE threads. Maybe they prefer the cachet of exclusivity, plenty of cults in America to attest to that.

"reserve is true'? tut tut.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I prefer Ne supra crepidam. Then again that applies to 98.8% of posters on here. Grist for the mill.????

I've always been fond of nil illegitime carborundum, although si tacuisse, philosophus mansisses gets the gold medal.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I prefer Ne supra crepidam. Then again that applies to 98.8% of posters on here. Grist for the mill.????

I keep it simple, even though having 2 yrs of Latin and simply go with:  Bye Bye, place 'em on ignore list.

If I had broken record, I wouldn't try to listen to it again ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1