Spaniard highly likely to be handed down a death sentence for cruel, planned and callous murder

webfact

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There have been very few death sentences carried within the past decade. So, why are they now discussing this, but only for foreigners? 

I happen to support the death sentence, when the crime is heinous, and when there are witnesses and sufficient evidence. Why keep them alive? Certain crimes are essentially a self revocation of the right to consume oxygen. But, can DNA evidence and the courts be trusted here? 

In fact, Thailand does allow the death penalty, but it is rarely applied. 

The federation said the kingdom would have achieved the status of "de facto abolitionist" had it not carried out any executions before August 24, 2019 — which would have represented 10 years after the last death sentences were carried out.

https://www.dw.com/en/thailand-carries-out-first-execution-since-2009/a-44285913

Thailand has never executed a farang anyway. It will be commuted to life imprisonment, then they serve 8 years in a Thai prison, before being transferred to a prison in their home country.

7 hours ago, Card said:

No way will the son of a famous and rich person, from wherever, be put to death in Thailand. It won't happen. The death penalty is designed and carried out on poor people. Those with no money and power.

I do believe the death penalty hasn't been carried out for near ten years now. Plus isn't the cyanide killer facing the death penalty? She is the wife of a high ranking police officer. If Spain doesn't have the death penalty, then I doute very much he will be put to death. 50 years or more would be my guess.

8 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Let's put it this way.
A Canadian criminal (Michael Karas) travelled to Thailand using "stolen" ID in 1995. A year later he murdered the woman he'd been living with, dismembered her body and threw the pieces in a local (Pattaya) swamp.

He then hopped on a plane (still using that "stolen" ID) and flew back to Canada before the authorities had identified him as the killer.
He was arrested in Canada (for violating his probation) and sent back to prison. Thailand requested his extradition. He confessed to some robberies he'd done that the police had listed as "cold cases". That added a few years to his sentence but eventually he was extradited back to Thailand.

He was tried and convicted and sent to Bang Kwan prison for life. (As per normal in Thailand, no public record of his trial or what sentence he was actually given at the time. However, if I recall from older stories, it would have been a death sentence for murdering the woman and another death sentence for mutilating her face and dismembering her body.

However, 5 years to the day later, his lawyer and some loser reporter at a Canadian newspaper (the Toronto Sun) concocted a story about how he shouldn't have been convicted of murder. They argued it should have been manslaughter at best. (They ignored that he'd mutilated her face to try and prevent identification as well as forgetting to mention he'd dismembered her body and threw it into a swamp.)
They claimed he'd been in prison for "half a decade" already - because that sounded worse than "5 years". Karas and his lawyer wanted Canada to approve his transfer back to Canada and decided that he should be released immediately upon arrival. 

The Liberal "Public Safety Minister" (Ralph Goodale) rubber-stamped the transfer, as he'd done with every single transfer that crossed his desk while in office.
Despite having been personally informed of who Karas was, his criminal record before going to Thailand and what exactly he'd been convicted of.

He had a flunkly from Corrections Canada inform me that Karas' case would be reviewed and he would be under "proper supervision" (ect ect, I still have their letter on file).

Less than 1 year later he was arrested in Winnipeg (Manitoba) for a string of bank robberies he'd done in Ontario. It seems that he was transferred (in secret) back to Canada within days of the transfer request being submitted and approved. He was then released, free and clear, within weeks of being back in Canada.

And he immediately resumed his previous career of robbing banks. (Seems he was given about 15 years in prison for those robberies. So he got more time in Canada for robbing a couple of banks than he did in Thailand for murdering, mutilating and dismembering a young woman.)

Keep in mind that whenever a foreigner receives a death penalty sentence in Thailand, it is usually immediately commuted to a Life sentence at the trial or when the next Royal Pardon is given.

So if Spain has a Prisoner Transfer agreement with Thailand, they could apply for a transfer, probably 5 years after conviction. As long as Thailand and Spain (and the prisoner) agree, he'd be sent home "to serve the remainder of his sentence". What happens after he arrives in his home country is up to the Corrections system there.

(In many cases of prisoner transfers, the felon may be released upon arrival as their crime may warrant a lighter sentence - or no conviction at all - in their home countries. As well, "home" justice systems may be more sympathetic and easier to $$$$, er, I mean, "sway" when it comes to sentences handed to one of their citizens for something they did in a foreign country.)

I often wondered what happened to that guy (Michael Karas), as there is never a thorough follow up on interesting story's in Thailand !   

Thank you for sharing this !!!

Best regards.

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There have been very few death sentences carried within the past decade. So, why are they now discussing this, but only for foreigners? 

I happen to support the death sentence, when the crime is heinous, and when there are witnesses and sufficient evidence. Why keep them alive? Certain crimes are essentially a self revocation of the right to consume oxygen. But, can DNA evidence and the courts be trusted here? 

The federation said the kingdom would have achieved the status of "de facto abolitionist" had it not carried out any executions before August 24, 2019 — which would have represented 10 years after the last death sentences were carried out.

https://www.dw.com/en/thailand-carries-out-first-execution-since-2009/a-44285913

Well a lifetime in a Thai prison is probably a death sentence but in slowmotion!

• Haha 1

second august murder and on 4 arrested, thats quick.

Probably a witness and betrayed. All effort of cutting up body for nothing.

Normal thing would be to .. run. Amazing.

Or so confident and thinking "you cant touch this"?

7 hours ago, Venom said:

I'm not into the gay scene but I imagine this guy's going to be popular with that pretty long blond hair while he's locked up.???? They will probably spoil him.????

He's an exceptionally good looking young man.

He murdered and threw his own life away at the same time.

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Give it a month and there will be a Netflix Dahmer type series in the planning.

It does have the making of some kind of series. Perhaps for Spanish Netflix.

Edited by Jingthing

8 hours ago, jvs said:

Seeking the death sentence is all part of the procedure.

If he confesses it will be automatically cut in half which

means life in jail.

So, cut in half but not dismembered.

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You're missing the point! Murder in the first degree in Thailand always gets you the death penalty, BUT if you admit your guilt and work with the authorities to solve the case, they usually convert it to 25 years, which is most likely what he will get, since he seems to be corroborating. 

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

as how I understand it is that if you commit a crime and you admit it, the court gives a  death sentence turned into lifelong!