Washing Machine Recommendation?

ricklev

The washing machine in my rented condo needs replacement and the owner asked me to buy a new one, up to 20,000 baht and deduct it from my rent.  I was happy with my old one, which was a Siemens front loader with temperature settings up to 90 degrees.

Any suggestions for a new one?  The Siemens is no longer available and the few other Siemens models I see online are quite expensive.  I would be happy to spend closer to 10,000 baht to keep the owner happy.  She has been good about everything over the years.  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, carlyai said:

If it hasn't actually rusted out and there is a old dingy shop in a nearby soi that fixed washing machines ++, take it there and see what magic they can do. ????

I'm sure it could be fixed. All it needs is drum bearings I think but she wants to keep life simple and buy a new one. 

Edited by ricklev
  • Like 1

The owner would probably be pleased to see a new Siemens front loader.? There's a 7 kg model for about 15k baht on lazada. That's the latest version of the one we have that was around 10k baht new maybe 7 years ago. Still going strong and big enough for a 4-piece family.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/siemens-wm08e261th-i976212452-s2094656971.html

To answer the question about water temp from another member, the 90 degree option is great and more hygeinic for towels and bed linens and not just for heavily soiled stuff.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The owner would probably be pleased to see a new Siemens front loader.? There's a 7 kg model for about 15k baht on lazada. That's the latest version of the one we have that was around 10k baht new maybe 7 years ago. Still going strong and big enough for a 4-piece family.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/siemens-wm08e261th-i976212452-s2094656971.html

To answer the question about water temp from another member, the 90 degree option is great and more hygeinic for towels and bed linens and not just for heavily soiled stuff.

Thanks. That will work fine. I just have to find it at one of the stores that will install it. 

53 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Not much of an issue with sun dried laundry here.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, ricklev said:

Thanks. That will work fine. I just have to find it at one of the stores that will install it. 

Just make sure they level it propely when they install it! I had one delivered in our appartment, and they did not even bring a leveler. 

Edited by Hummin

10 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Just make sure they level it propely when they install it! I had one delivered in our appartment, and they did not even bring a leveler. 

Last several Japanese brand top loaders we have bought had built in level.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Can not help as use top loaders to soak and avoid bending (wife will not consider front loader).  But do you really need 90c temp?  We have bought top loader with heater but heater has never, ever, been used.  There just is no need with Thai water temps. 

Believe there are many Korea/Japanese brand front loaders on market now so would take a look at them as probably better priced and good quality.

never seen a top loader with a heater, what make is it?

33 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Take a look at Homepro online. They have a good range and will deliver, install, and take away your old machine.

https://www.homepro.co.th/c/APP1303

Edit: Just spoke to the wife. She says she paid extra to have the old machine taken away.

Powerbuy is also good, deliver, install and remove old one, can't remember if that was free or not.

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/

Over the last 20 years we've had 3 front loaders; an LG that lasted 8 years, a Samsung that only survived 6, and for the last 6 years another LG which is still going strong.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thought I would give Siemens service center a try based on the high quality of their website https://www.siemens-home.bsh-group.in.th/repair The customer service rep I spoke with was quite helpful and ultimately offered me a similar Bosch washer for 12,500 baht which seemed reasonable.  So I am set and thanks for your suggestions. Bosch WAJ20170TH - An older model, I think, but that is OK.

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Don't do what I did buy a new machine with hot and cold fill only to find out waiting for it to heat up and wash  there is no heater in it ???? 

If it had separate hot and cold fill, it doesn't (never had) a heater installed and the trick is to connect the hot inlet to a heated water supply (and the cold inlet to a cold water supply). The key here is the word 'fill'.

I bought a US- style Whirlpool top loader about 16 years ago. Still works and that is out the back of the house for floor mats, dog blankets, work clothes and the like. It has separate hot and cold inlets with the former plumbed to the Ariston hot water heater in the kitchen. Otherwise it would be a cold/cold washing machine like you bought.

39 minutes ago, proton said:

never seen a top loader with a heater, what make is it?

Panasonic NA-FS16V7 in Nov 2019 at 17,750 baht from HomePro.  Has since been discontinued.  Probably because of the detergent dispenser/air mixer sounding like a jet engine (spins very high speed).

https://www.panasonic.com/my/support/product-archives/consumer/home-appliances/washers-dryer/top-load-washer/na-fs16v7srt.specs.html

https://home.abenson.com/panasonic-na-fs16v7srm.html

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Thought I would give Siemens service center a try based on the high quality of their website https://www.siemens-home.bsh-group.in.th/repair The customer service rep I spoke with was quite helpful and ultimately offered me a similar Bosch washer for 12,500 baht which seemed reasonable.  So I am set and thanks for your suggestions. Bosch WAJ20170TH - An older model, I think, but that is OK.

All good choices IMHO. Ours has been through three house moves and has needed attention from the moobahn appliance man maybe three or four times for drainage problems. Usually someone has been overfilling the detergent and after a year or so, the pipes get narrowed and once or twice it's becsause nobody has bothered to clean the filters.

They have something like a 10-year warranty on the motor but moobahn appliance man says he's never had to change one. They usually rust out or have other issues first, like your existing one.

For info, our new main machine is a 14 kg Haier cold wash top loader that I got from Makro for 8000 baht about 6 months ago. Bought that as a money-saver as the bulk of the family wash does not need heating. Those front loaders that heat the water use electricity and we know how that's gone through the roof this year. Sure the Siemens has a temperature selector but 'old habits die hard' with some of the users at my place.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Make sure the dials lettering on the Bosch machine are in Thai.

I bought one once where the labels were all in English. 

19 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Cold wash and hang in the sun works for you but Mrs NL would beg to differ. Especially in the rainy season.

Understand you can't win that - but we seem to have plenty of sun even in the rainy season as only takes an hour or so - we installed a dryer about 45 years ago but was only used a couple of times a year (and the ants liked to short out the electric panel).  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Make sure the dials lettering on the Bosch machine are in Thai.

I bought one once where the labels were all in English. 

Oh damn.  I didn't even think about that and I just payed them.  OK.  It is in Thai and English!

Edited by ricklev
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ricklev said:

The washing machine in my rented condo needs replacement and the owner asked me to buy a new one, up to 20,000 baht and deduct it from my rent.  I was happy with my old one, which was a Siemens front loader with temperature settings up to 90 degrees.

Any suggestions for a new one?  The Siemens is no longer available and the few other Siemens models I see online are quite expensive.  I would be happy to spend closer to 10,000 baht to keep the owner happy.  She has been good about everything over the years.  Thanks.

BSH discontinued domestic appliances under Siemens name but now sell them under Bosch brandname.

Personally I prefer Hitachi and LG, with Bosch close 3rd. Not impressed with longevity or yellow bleaching on Electrolux, Samsung and Whirlpool. Our condo has Beko and I don't hear complaints but I've never owned one. The rest no idea. That's all for 10 kg front-loaders (wash or wash+dry combo). My favourite was Hitachi BD-S5500 but I had to leave it behind as it can't mount under the counter. That was the only proper combo wash+dry machine I've ever seen.

17 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

BSH discontinued domestic appliances under Siemens name but now sell them under Bosch brandname.

Personally I prefer Hitachi and LG, with Bosch close 3rd. Not impressed with longevity or yellow bleaching on Electrolux, Samsung and Whirlpool. Our condo has Beko and I don't hear complaints but I've never owned one. The rest no idea. That's all for 10 kg front-loaders (wash or wash+dry combo). My favourite was Hitachi BD-S5500 but I had to leave it behind as it can't mount under the counter. That was the only proper combo wash+dry machine I've ever seen.

I stayed in an Airbnb recently that had a Samsung washer/dryer all in one.  My hopes were low as my previous experience was hours long cycles yielding damp clothes, but the Samsung worked perfectly and quickly.   I was pleasantly surprised.  

Edited by ricklev
  • Like 2