Legionella discovery forces asylum seekers off Bibby Stockholm days after arrival

Social Media

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I really don't have time to help you with your reading. I gave up teaching 4 years ago.

What a bizarre comment!

Imo your time would be put to best use helping yourself.

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Or providing links to back up statements presented as facts.

Once again you twist to suit yourself.

I have made no statements and have certainly not tried to present them as facts.

Hence the use of the word " seem". 

Seems you could use a couple of reading lessons too.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, RayC said:

What a bizarre comment!

Imo your time would be put to best use helping yourself.

I'm fine thanks. I am the one who is able to distinguish between facts, statements and suggestions.

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Someone let you teach their kids?

No surely not.

Your comment speaks volumes. 

Just because someone disagrees with you, you have to question their abilities.

What was it you were saying about personal attacks?

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well an aversion to verifiable sources seems a pretty good reason.

Not at all.

During my teaching career I used students' real life experiences to help them to think for themselves and solve issues they had with their English proficiency.

As we already know, varifiable sources can be biased or incorrect. To use them would be unfair to the students. 

• Haha 1

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

Not at all.

During my teaching career I used students' real life experiences to help them to think for themselves and solve issues they had with their English proficiency.

As we already know, varifiable sources can be biased or incorrect. To use them would be unfair to the students. 

I rest my case.

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I rest my case.

So quickly. Let me give you an example.

Q. Did you study hard for the exam?

A. No, I'm not.    B. Yes, I have lessons.

C. Yes, I do it.      D. No, I went to Bangkok.

This is a question from a varifiable source in Thai education. Used to prepare students for ONET. Which answer do you think the varifiable source gives as the correct one?

Before you go off on your usual off topic rant, this is to show that not all varifiable sources are useful.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

So quickly. Let me give you an example.

Q. Did you study hard for the exam?

A. No, I'm not.    B. Yes, I have lessons.

C. Yes, I do it.      D. No, I went to Bangkok.

This is a question from a varifiable source in Thai education. Used to prepare students for ONET. Which answer do you think the varifiable source gives as the correct one?

Before you go off on your usual off topic rant, this is to show that not all varifiable sources are useful.

“World News

Interesting, thought provoking and topical news stories from around the world. Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source.”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

“World News

Interesting, thought provoking and topical news stories from around the world. Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source.”

Thanks for your (non) answer.

Predictable and confirmation of what was expected. I would give you 10/10 but you failed on the major point.

I have not posted anything that was said to be to be a factual claim. It was a suggestion. Your failure to recognize that took away your opportunity to discuss it. Shame but your loss.

5/10.

Edited by youreavinalaff

3 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I'm fine thanks. I am the one who is able to distinguish between facts, statements and suggestions.

Many of your statements would suggest otherwise. People would be hard pushed to construe them as facts.

Edited by RayC
Grammar!

6 minutes ago, RayC said:

Many of your statements would suggest otherwise. People would be hard pushed to construe them as facts.

On this occasion, you are correct.

If you'd care to read my posts on this thread, I have explained many times that my comment with regards to safe countries that immigrants travel through to get to the UK not being that concerned about the immigrants' plight was a suggestion. Not a fact. 

It's a shame it's taken you so long to actually realise that. Better late than never, I guess.

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

On this occasion, you are correct.

If you'd care to read my posts on this thread, I have explained many times that my comment with regards to safe countries that immigrants travel through to get to the UK not being that concerned about the immigrants' plight was a suggestion. Not a fact. 

It's a shame it's taken you so long to actually realise that. Better late than never, I guess.

So you just threw the suggestion out there as a 'Discussion Point'? You have no opinion on the matter, and were simply encouraging the rest of us to engage in discourse? You - as became patently obvious - would offer nothing of substance to further the debate?

If you decide to do this in future, could I please ask you to make it clear. I have no interest in engaging in a discussion revolving around pedantry, semantics and obfuscation, which is what you have turned this into. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

If you decide to do this in future, could I please ask you to make it clear. I have no interest in engaging in a discussion revolving around pedantry, semantics and obfuscation, which is what you have turned this into. Thanks.

It was clear and you did engage.

You turned it into something more that it was.

Take a leaf out of your own book.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

It was clear and you did engage.

You turned it into something more that it was.

Take a leaf out of your own book.

Obviously I engaged. That is a fact.

Unfortunately, I worked on the assumption that you might have something of interest/ substance to offer on the subject. Clearly, my assumption was incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1