Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport Prepares to Open New Satellite Terminal in September

webfact

image.jpeg

Caretaker Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has conducted a thorough inspection of the new Satellite Airport Terminal 1 (SAT-1) at Suvarnabhumi Airport, ahead of its anticipated soft launch next month. He was accompanied by prominent caretaker cabinet members, including Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and Interior Minister Gen Anupong Paojinda.

During the visit, Gen Prayut took a ride on the Automated People Mover (APM) train, which conveniently connects the new terminal with the primary passenger terminal.

The premier said his visit aimed to provide an update on the progress of Phase 2 construction within the Suvarnabhumi Airport development plan, concentrating particularly on the upcoming SAT-1 terminal. The terminal, poised for a soft opening in September, is set to significantly enhance the airport’s passenger handling capacity.

The facility is projected to accommodate approximately 15 million passengers annually, thereby elevating the airport’s overall capacity to handle a total of 60 million passengers per year.

By Adam Judd

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/08/13/bangkoks-suvarnabhumi-airport-prepares-to-open-new-satellite-terminal-in-september/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-08-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter. Click to subscribe

The new terminal may be ready to go but I doubt if they have enough people to handle an increase in passengers.  They definitely need to add people at the check-in counters, immigration and baggage handlers.

it will be nice if they eliminate the bus gates.  I fly between Chiang Rai and Bangkok every month and 30-40% of the time I end up at a bus gate either upon arrival or departure.

Edited by statman78
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bluejets said:

So what is it supposed to do...???

Apart from the meaningless political hype ............

I suggest you wait until the APM's report on his thorough inspection is released. Somewhere in the thousand pages of text above his signature will be the information you seek. Me? I'm waiting for details on the moving walkway people-eaters.

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What do you base that bizarre speculation on?

Based on experience.  When the country started to open up after Covid the airport was understaffed.  There were hugh lines at immigration, extremely long lines to check in and at times over a hour wait to claim luggage.

After living in Thailand for a number of years I see that the officials in Thailand are reactionary not proactive.  Just look at how they handle the annual flooding and extreme air pollution.  The government does star addressing issues until the start to happen.

I hope this is not the case this time since I fly on a monthly basis.  I always hope for the best but plan for the worst.

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where has that been stated?

More to the point, where has the opposite been stated, in this land where the caretaker government would never miss an opportunity to boast about some grand new operation for which they could claim credit?

Obviously you're trolling - and rather aggressively - but if you've been to Suvarnabhumi any time in the last year, you will have seen the entry/exit for the train to the satellite gates in the middle of Concourse D, right across from immigration (the current immigration, not a new one).

If you'd like to hear from the companies that designed and built the satellite, you can take a look at the articles below. If they really did include a complete new terminal facility in addition to the new gates, it's odd that they're keeping it secret.

https://www.otcpd.com/projects/airports/suvarnabhumi-satellite

https://www.hok.com/projects/view/suvarnabhumi-international-airport-midfield-satellite-concourse/