EV's and that continuing question of public safety..

transam

Read this today, and it happened in Thailand, I am not totally against EV's, as we will all be driving them, but the public safety thing is quite concerning, as a lithium battery fire is difficult to deal with, and ferocious.......:whistling:

Perhaps the new battery compounds technology will address the problem, will have to wait and see.....????

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/massive-electric-car-battery-explosion-160000135.html

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, transam said:

Read this today, and it happened in Thailand, I am not totally against EV's, as we will all be driving them, but the public safety thing is quite concerning, as a lithium battery fire is difficult to deal with, and ferocious.......:whistling:

Perhaps the new battery compounds technology will address the problem, will have to wait and see.....????

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/massive-electric-car-battery-explosion-160000135.html

How many times are you going to post it ?  There's a few more EV thread you can post it on.

A 5 day old story, and the echo box news-blips seem to be leaving out these to little tidbits, possibly from the original story, 5 days ago ...

.... "All 12 individuals are safe and taken to the Sri Rayong Hospital for check-ups"

... "The university said an investigative committee was formed to determine the cause of the fire." 

Taken to hospital for smoke inhalation, not burns or flying bits & pieces.  

https://www.newsflare.com/video/582899/twelve-people-injured-when-car-battery-explodes-at-school-in-thailand

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5
  • Thanks 2

Watching the vid, it was a larger golf cart type of EV, and I may be wrong, but that squarish, rectangular box thingy, sure does look like where the batteries would be placed, and surprisingly, looking intact.  

Was it really a lithium battery, as if that is the battery compartment, it's way bigger than needed for a 72v lithium battery.  Or could simply be support for the seat, and battery bay was elsewhere.  Was it being charged at the time of the fire.  A few question that need to be addressed, such as 'the cause'.

Extinguishing the fire in 20 minutes, counter to the reports of how hard it is to extinguish lithium battery fires.  Just a thought.  I'll await the follow up, which will never arrive.

All safe, and that's all that matters ????

image.png.9caa308e0d5b3a38b5c0c32ce7663b89.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, motdaeng said:

how many combustion engine vehicles catch fire per day here in thailand? 

is every fire hyped up by the media (and by you)? of course not, because it is daily business ...

@transam 

you are not totally against EV's (do you believe yourself?),

can you please publish also every ICE vehicle fire? thank you so much!

Or every kitchen, restaurant & house fire started by fossil fuel; gas cylinders, BBQ grills, etc.  

Not just Satan's EV fires, that may or not been caused by the battery ????

• Sad 3
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Or every kitchen, restaurant & house fire started by fossil fuel; gas cylinders, BBQ grills, etc.  

Not just Satan's EV fires, that may or not been caused by the battery ????

Motoring forum, ol' chap.......????

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

I am referring to Lithium batteries and "unexpected" catastrophes, now if you don't like it, or you bought an EV, keep away.

May I suggest you open a car petrol fire thread...........:clap2:

We don't want to take up all the bandwidth of the forum ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Motoring forum, ol' chap.......????

From what I read battery fires happen for a number of reasons and being taken care of by a school caretaker probably given no training on how to maintain an EV vehicle wouldn't surprise me in Thailand. 

18 minutes ago, transam said:

A few EV-ers here all think the same, could be those sleepless nights just  wondering.......????..................????

Nice ???? ... I keep them parked outside under the carport.  Newer tech & chemistry, and no worries or sleepless nights.  Just low cost & high performance transport ????

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

From what I read battery fires happen for a number of reasons and being taken care of by a school caretaker probably given no training on how to maintain an EV vehicle wouldn't surprise me in Thailand. 

Or Somchai falling asleep while smoking ????

... oops

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

HSE Motors SEV-14...

Are they china made junk ?

https://www.hsemmotor.com/sev-14/

Nice find, and I don't think that would be the specs of a lithium battery (6v225Ah(12 ball ?).  6v X 12 lead acid, dry or gel cell batteries, would equal the 72v battery reported.  Also explain the quick extinguishing of the fire.

Edited by KhunLA

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Nice find, and I don't think that would be the specs of a lithium battery (6v225Ah).

Forklift type lead acid battery.

Thats what that big battery looking container is in the crisy pics.

Would also explain why they were able to put the fire out so quickly.... you aint doing that with a lithium pack.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Nice find, and I don't think that would be the specs of a lithium battery (6v225Ah).

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Forklift type lead acid battery.

Thats what that big battery looking container is in the crisy pics.

My thoughts also

Edited by KhunLA

In my home country every fire department has a container and crane truck on standby. Some EV fires demands a full submersion in water and that is what they do now.
This was never a problem with petrol/diesel/gas fueled cars.

I am not against EVs and looking forward to get one - but that is not what the topic is about.

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Well this just shows you know nothing of the MG story, or BMC in general, but was expected....????

I thought he was spot on.  How many BMCs are still producing and how many have gone belly up, taken over, because intelligent people stopped buying their crap.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I thought he was spot on.  How many BMCs are still producing and how many have gone belly up, taken over, because intelligent people stopped buying their crap.

Since this thread is about "safety" it is well documented that the new Thai made MGs are much safer than the old MGs that handled terribly and with not much more protection in an accident than being on a scooter.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Goat said:

I went for a spin in a new MG last week.

What an improvement over the old Made in England sh..boxes which were terrible.

The company used to go broke every few years. And the cars would break down every few months. 

Feel like they are well built and very quick off the mark.

I wouldnt worry about the battery fires, likely it will never happen to you personally.

I am doubtful this story is even accurate.

The old made in England as you remark about Morris Garages is unfair they made some very reliable cars in there history.