EV's and that continuing question of public safety..

transam

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

Presumably all the ones you see in Thailand with a "Morris Garages since 1924" sticker on the back.

Yes you are right, though the "since 1924" on the Chinese rides, relates to MG, which was the performance side of William Morris, Morris Garages...Though the MG thing was created by Cecil Kimber...

The Union Jack on the back of Chinese MG rides is a bit of a cheek......????

A short read here...

https://www.paulrigbygroup.co.uk/mg/about-us/about-mg/#:~:text=MG is a British automotive,that made the marque famous.

38 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes you are right, though the "since 1924" on the Chinese rides, relates to MG, which was the performance side of William Morris, Morris Garages...Though the MG thing was created by Cecil Kimber...

The Union Jack on the back of Chinese MG rides is a bit of a cheek......????

A short read here...

https://www.paulrigbygroup.co.uk/mg/about-us/about-mg/#:~:text=MG is a British automotive,that made the marque famous.

It is dishonest marketing as far as I am concerned.

Just now, In the jungle said:

It is dishonest marketing as far as I am concerned.

You are right, but the MG owners on here think it's OK, though I think most of them are not British, or they bought within their budget.....  ????

Yes, lithium batteries contain a high energy load and any fire will likely destroy the vehicle, anyone still in it, and anything next to it. Luckily the fire usually takes a few minutes to reach catostrophic levels and anyone not injured should have time to leave the vehicle.

A study in the UK looked at deaths associated with EV versus petrol/gas cars. This showed incineration was more likely in a petrol/gas car compared to an EV.

So, yes, the risk is there, but is less than a petrol/gas car. A diesel car is probably safest if someone is worried about being incinerated if their car catches fire.

I used to fly radio-controlled planes. On high fire risk days, you couldn't fly lithium battery powered planes becasue of the risk of fire from a crash away in the thick grasslands. You could still fly nitro/petrol powered planes because the risk of fire in the event of a crash was negligible.

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2023 at 12:17 PM, Kwasaki said:

They became known as grannies favourite car. ????

The morris minor van was one of the vehicles we had for roofing all over England it never let us down.

Yes i owns that van too, but on holiday in Austria it gives me a broken head gasket....

Just now, Peterphuket said:

Yes i owns that van too, but on holiday in Austria it gives me a broken head gasket....

I was in a Morris 1000 van when the right front suspension collapsed going round a corner........ ????

But to be fair, the bloke had never serviced the thing, no grease in the spindle, just water, it rusted away......????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, transam said:

I was in a Morris 1000 van when the right front suspension collapsed going round a corner........ ????

But to be fair, the bloke had never serviced the thing, no grease in the spindle, just water, it rusted away......????

Yeah you know buddy look after a morry thou it wouldn't let you down.