EV's and that continuing question of public safety..

transam

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

So what you are saying is offering's by other brit companies were even worse and in turn drove up the morris sales !

Where did you get your fanciful numbers from... seems to me production totals was just over 1.6 million for the lifespan of the Morris Minor.

Glad to see you investigate British car stuff, I really thought you didn't like them, and especially not owning one............:clap2:

Are you Australian, by any chance.........?  :cowboy:

• Haha 1

Just now, transam said:

Glad to see you investigate British car stuff, I really thought you didn't like them, and especially not owning one............:clap2:

will always fact check numbers posted and in this case those from kwakasaki are coming up bogus.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, transam said:

Well he can't read otherwise he'd know of BMC's 349 million cars.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

They became known as grannies favourite car. ????

The morris minor van was one of the vehicles we had for roofing all over England it never let us down.

We used to call the Morris traveler , The Shed. :thumbsup:

Edited by rocketboy2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well he can't read otherwise he'd know of BMC's 349 million cars.

BMC may have built 349 million vehicles but it is a fact that 349 million is not the amount Morris Minors built as your previous post alluded to.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:

It was a great car. welded many up in a former life.

But do a check on it's history on design/ tooling

as the bonnet has a weld down it for some reason !!!! :giggle:

For the expert, of the confused face left on my post.

Have a look at this vid start at 350, it will become clear to you,  and maybe others will not know this as well enjoy.

it was a great car, welding them up 20 years latter, was about the norm for a car then. :jap:

There was a much better vid for this but can't find it.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

In this case the school is  a College of Technology and it was a teacher

While the teacher was teaching about charging the electric car battery. It was found that a group of smoke flew out of the battery.

Said that there was a fire on the 1st floor of the school building 5 at 10:20 a.m. when the mechanic department had to charge the electric car battery. which is a type of lithium phosphate, 72 volts, 100 amps, used in teaching and learning Which was plugged in to charge at about 9:30 a.m. 

https://mgronline.com/local/detail/9660000071560

Reading that poses more questions than answers, along with contradicting the news-blips from the echo box reports.

Clear as mud translation.  Possible 'user error' ... or not.  

"And the fire was under control by 10.45 am, no one was injured. Teachers and students are safe. ???? It is currently in the process of investigating the cause."

Cause-still unknown ... "The college has set up a committee to investigate the cause of the fire."

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

My American neighbor here in Chiang mai recently bought a compact 5 door Volvo EV/hybrid for his wife (Hybrid = Electric and Hydrogen).

He's an engineer, he  did a lot of research into the safety aspects and was very impressed by the Volvo stats etc.

So he paid a much bigger price and bought Volvo and got what he believed was the best / safest for his Thai wife. 

He says globally there's never been a vehicle fire with Volvo EVs.

That's good to hear....:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

My American neighbor here in Chiang mai recently bought a compact 5 door Volvo EV/hybrid for his wife (Hybrid = Electric and Hydrogen).

He's an engineer, he  did a lot of research into the safety aspects and was very impressed by the Volvo stats etc.

So he paid a much bigger price and bought Volvo and got what he believed was the best / safest for his Thai wife. 

Awesome, did not know Volvo had a Hydrogen vehicle on the market. Which model did your neighbour buy, am looking to upgrade to a hybrid.

40 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Reading that poses more questions than answers, along with contradicting the news-blips from the echo box reports.

Clear as mud translation.  Possible 'user error' ... or not.  

"And the fire was under control by 10.45 am, no one was injured. Teachers and students are safe. ???? It is currently in the process of investigating the cause."

Cause-still unknown ... "The college has set up a committee to investigate the cause of the fire."

My old uni bought a 'Golf cart' style 6 seat people mover a few years back. Nobody was assigned to check for maintenane needs and nothing was ever checked. The batteries died late afternoon most days but if there was extra usage the vehicle would suddenly die and have to be towed back to the faculty building with a rope and a motor cycle. 

It was parked close to the building and across the double main entrance doors, causing a headache for the dean, students and staff to get into the building. (Day dreaming Dean never reacted to anything, ever!)

Plugged in late afternoon it took until about 9:30 am next morning to be fully charged, meaning that the vehicle couldn't be used to take students/faculty to class rooms on the other side of the campus about 7.30 am. We walked or boys with motorcycles did numerous trips to get everyone to the distant classrom (about 1.5 km from admin. / sign in building).

Then it happened, 2:00 am in the morning roving security guards naticed the vehicle was on fire and they managed to get it under control / prevent spread of fire with buckets of water. Vehicle totally ruined. Fire station (on campus) only operates 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. No investigation whatever.

Dean had received a renewal notice for insurance and told staff to immediately pay for renew of the policy.

But dragon lady accountant didn't process the payment; she doesn't believe in insurance. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Where does he/she top up the Hydrogen at in TH ?

Do they live at Phi Suea House project ?

Quick edit, scratch that thought, as that project is closed:

image.png.8c22c9b6bdba7aa741f4429edcc7b408.png

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

What reliable cars did Morris Garages make ?

Morris Garages was spun off of Morris Motors to make performance models and later sports cars.  Back in the day safety was in the hands of the driver.

4 hours ago, transam said:

Read this today, and it happened in Thailand, I am not totally against EV's, as we will all be driving them, but the public safety thing is quite concerning, as a lithium battery fire is difficult to deal with, and ferocious.......:whistling:

Perhaps the new battery compounds technology will address the problem, will have to wait and see.....????

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/massive-electric-car-battery-explosion-160000135.html

We won't all be driving them. There is simply not enough lithium, cobalt and nickel available to meet EV demand.

Rio Tinto is one of the world's biggest miners. At a recent Minerals and Metals conference in Australia, the head of Rio's lithium division said lithium mining would need to produce 10 times what is being mined currently, to meet current demand alone. Governments that decree complete replacement of EV's by whatever time frame are indulging in fantasy.

We won't be driving EV's that require carrying capacity either. Batteries are heavy, there's no point to a semi-trailer where half the payload is the battery it has to lug around.

My apologies if this post derails the topic.

58 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I don't believe such a car exists.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

Which British cars did you own to come to that conclusion.....?  ????

I remember the statement about Jaguar -  one needed to own two, because one of them would always be in the service shop.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah all that wood look seems so weird these days.

Great little engine and gearbox.

Yes , it got me a jump as well.

At a party in the early 80s, a young lady I knew, went to go home, in her Morris Minor, but she come back in to party saying her car wont go, will start but wont go. !!!!!!!!!!

ok,  i go have a look, bonnet up cigarette lighter for light !@! :cheesy:

throttle cable broke, so jammed, my Benson and Hedges fag pack under the throttle .

got it to work about quarter throttle, and followed her home, very slow.

Got invited in for clean up and coffee, with benefits, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:

Yes , it got me a jump as well.

At a party in the early 80s, a young lady I knew, went to go home, in her Morris Minor, but she come back in to party saying her car wont go, will start but wont go. !!!!!!!!!!

ok,  i go have a look, bonnet up cigarette lighter for light !@! :cheesy:

throttle cable broke, so jammed, my Benson and Hedges fag pack under the throttle .

got it to work about quarter throttle, and followed her home, very slow.

Got invited in for clean up and coffee, with benefits, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 

Plenty of room in the back to lay down because used as a tent. ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Or every kitchen, restaurant & house fire started by fossil fuel; gas cylinders, BBQ grills, etc.  

Not just Satan's EV fires, that may or not been caused by the battery ????

Those fires are started by stupid people. Li battery fires can be caused by themselves.

• Thanks 2