War of words erupts over Britain’s plea for post-Brexit migrant return deal

Social Media

On 8/16/2023 at 12:39 PM, RayC said:

Of course it is.

The whole strategic vision of the EU is nowadays focussed on making the UK pay for having the temerity to leave the bloc. It's all they ever talk about in Brussels and the 27 member state capital cities.????

If the hole "strategic vision of the EU" is focused on the UK, then that says very little for the EU.

But we knew that anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

If the hole "strategic vision of the EU" is focused on the UK, then that says very little for the EU.

But we knew that anyway.

But wasn't it to be expected?

After all, the EU need us more than we need them. Only natural therefore that they should structure their policies and strategies to match the UK's. Probably only a matter of time before the EU asks to join the UK.

Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth ......

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, RayC said:

I doubt that the French are very keen on having gangs of smugglers living and working on their territory and unauthorized immigrants living on their land.

The border forces on both sides of the Channel face a thankless task. The coastline is +/-500km long. It is impossible to police it to the extent that it becomes impenetrable. Stop the boats departing from the area around the Calais region and they will simply move to another part of Normandy. The same problem exists at France's land borders. They are simply too long to police.

Merkel's well-meaning but ill conceived 'open border' policy was a disaster and, as you rightly say, has made a bad situation, worse.

The EU are not going to abandon Schengen, so imo the problem has to be tackled at source. How to do this is another matter. 

(I don't understand your point about revising French and EU immigration policies).

There are too many sources to tackle, although I agree that would be the best way. I still do not believe that the French are doing everything they can to stop illegal crossings - they do not have the incentive to go after them seriously.

If/when the migrant situation in the EU gets out of control then Schengen will become an issue too, that is part of what I meant about French and EU immigration policy revision.

How do these thousands get to northern France? 

Edited by nauseus

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

There are too many sources to tackle, although I agree that would be the best way.

You might be right, but as I mentioned previously, it is also no easier trying to turn back the tide (no pun intended) at the Channel or en route.

The simple fact is that it is a very difficult problem to solve.

I still do not believe that the French are doing everything they can to stop illegal crossings - they do not have the incentive to go after them seriously.

I don't know whether that is true.

(The following paragraph is not directed at you)

However even allowing that it may be, I wonder what the view of those in the UK who favour unilaterally returning intercepted illegal immigrants to France would be if the boot was on the other foot i.e. crossings were made in the opposite direction (from England to France). Would they be keen to spend money on what would become a problem for France and/or accept returnees?

If/when the migrant situation in the EU gets out of control then Schengen will become an issue too, that is part of what I meant about French and EU immigration policy revision.

Imo it will take a crisis on an unprecedented scale for the EU (states) to consider amending Schengen.

Each member state is responsible for defining its' policy(ies) wrt illegal immigrants. Perhaps, an EU-wide policy would be beneficial but it's I'd suggest that it's unlikely that the likes of Hungary would cede their authority.

Postscript: I am writing this while watching the 6 o'clock news. There was a piece about the Channel crossings. Doesn't say anything new but reinforces my view that there are no easy, quick-fixes.

How do these thousands get to northern France? 

I imagine that some will make their own way; others will pay smugglers but I think that you knew this already.

12 hours ago, JonnyF said:

What mess? Our economy is outperforming Germany's. ????

https://www.farsnews.ir/en/news/14020525000481/Germany's-Ecnmy-Prjeced-Sall

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-economy-grows-by-0-2-ons-figures-show-12937676

Now the Netherlands has also entered recession.

https://www.dw.com/en/netherlands-dips-into-recession-after-strong-covid-rebound/a-66551394

It's about time you realized the "mess" was merely a prediction by Remainers. What materialized was nothing of the kind. And it's only been 3 years, during which there was Covid and war in Ukraine. Another 5 years and we'll be even stronger. Mess? Hardly.

Yet.... :biggrin:

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02784/

7a51f080-b83b-432b-92b2-e3d7a7611555.png

Edited by candide
  • Haha 1