Chaiyaphum Road crash leaves three women dead and three injured

snoop1130

Screenshot-2023-08-16-143726.jpg

The quiet community of Chaiyaphum province was shattered yesterday by a horrific road accident involving an Isuzu pickup truck and an E-tan, a local transport vehicle. The unfortunate Chaiyaphum Road crash resulted in the tragic death of three women and injured three others.

Emergency responders were notified of the Chaiyaphum Road crash at 10am, according to Deputy Inspector Keratiphoom Puphalinin, an investigating officer at Nong Bua Khok Police Station. Immediate efforts were made to reach the scene of the accident to administer assistance.

The team arrived at the location around the watermelon Stand, Ban Nontako, Nong Bua Khok Subdistrict, Chathara District, Chaiyaphum. The road, referred to as number 201, connects Chaiyaphum with the Sikhiew route.

On arrival, the scene was nothing short of distressing, with injured individuals and fatalities strewn across the highway in the aftermath of the collision between the Isuzu pickup truck and the E-tan. Immediate first aid was administered, and the survivors, three in total, all with severe trauma, were rushed to Square District Hospital.

Adding to the grief, the tragic Chaiyaphum road crash claimed the lives of three women, discovered on the shoulder of the road. They had been passengers in the E-tan, bearing the Nakhon Ratchasima license plate, number KJ510. The Isuzu pickup, a pastry delivery vehicle, bore the license plate 3K4900, Bangkok. Jerasak, a 41 year old individual, was identified as the driver of the pickup and was also injured in the accident.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/horrific-road-crash-in-chaiyaphum-leaves-three-women-dead-and-three-injured-2

--Thaiger 2023-08-16

-- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4

Long straight road, daylight, good weather, and still too difficult for some to negotiate safely. And then come the excuses - it wasn't my fault, it was someone else's.
Jerasak claimed he was en route from Chaiyaphum to Nakhon Ratchasima when he collided with the E-tan vehicle at a declining slope. He alleged another vehicle was driving recklessly, which he barely avoided.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Long straight road, daylight, good weather, and still too difficult for some to negotiate safely. And then come the excuses - it wasn't my fault, it was someone else's.
Jerasak claimed he was en route from Chaiyaphum to Nakhon Ratchasima when he collided with the E-tan vehicle at a declining slope. He alleged another vehicle was driving recklessly, which he barely avoided.

Check his phone log!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Unfortunately, it’s no surprise when rural, unsafe and unroadworthy vehicles mix with fast, modern ones.  I’m not apportioning blame, but these tragedies will continue unabated unless something is done. 

so what does one do ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

When on rural roads in any country expect slow moving farm-type vehicles to be moving around.

Drive with caution.

THe ;point is that human error is a constant and accidents will happen - we can't all be a smugly careful as you. 

The etans are primitive agricultural vehicles and w=once involved in an accident there is no protection at all for those riding on the machine. Mix this with high speed b=-vehicles on roads whose design encourages high speed and you have a recipe for disaster.

5 hours ago, Wiggy said:

'One' cannot do anything as Thailand is a lost cause when it comes to road safety and/or education.

Nonsense - as you clearly haven't identified the root of the problem any conclusions you come to will be erroneous....there's a lot to be done.

3 minutes ago, kwilco said:

THe ;point is that human error is a constant and accidents will happen - we can't all be a smugly careful as you. 

The etans are primitive agricultural vehicles and w=once involved in an accident there is no protection at all for those riding on the machine. Mix this with high speed b=-vehicles on roads whose design encourages high speed and you have a recipe for disaster.

Apologies for being a smug yet accident free driver of many rural roads,

I bow to your superior words of wisdom.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Apologies for being a smug yet accident free driver of many rural roads,

I bow to your superior words of wisdom.

You see, the claim of being "accident free" as some kind of evidence shows you don't understand the fundamentals of road safety. 

• Confused 3

From this clip on Thai Rath TV this morning, it looks like the pickup just ploughed into the song-theow.

In my experience van drivers are amongst the most dangerous on Thai roads, hurtling from lane to lane and tailgating in their bid to deliver and earn their commission as quickly as possible.

The cries and wailing of grief of relatives or friends of the dead were unbearable to listen to ( on another channel).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kwilco said:

You see, the claim of being "accident free" as some kind of evidence shows you don't understand the fundamentals of road safety. 

I fully understand the fundamentals of road safety, having been tutored at the age of 17, passing my test and driving for 50 years without a single incident.. in many different countries
if that's not evidence I don't know what is?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, kwilco said:

Nonsense - as you clearly haven't identified the root of the problem any conclusions you come to will be erroneous....there's a lot to be done.

And the root of the problem is?

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I fully understand the fundamentals of road safety, having been tutored at the age of 17, passing my test and driving for 50 years without a single incident.. in many different countries
if that's not evidence I don't know what is?

Sadly I'd disagree

Why do people think they are experts on things they know nothing about. Certainly passing a driving test - of any kind is grossly overrated.....

I also worry about the use of that word expert - do people really understand what that means? Is it an automatic proof that and argument is correct or validated?

…… If they drive a car they think they are "experts" on driving,

….. because they went to school they are "experts" on education

……. and because they have been in hospital they think they are "experts" on health care?

Many people mistake their personal experience with these topics as way more informative than it really is. They mistake the significance of personal experience (of bad habits) as a general overview of a topic far more complex than they ever conceive.

It is important to be aware of the cognitive biases that can lead people to overestimate their knowledge and abilities. If you find yourself thinking that you are an "expert" on something you know little about, it is important to take a step back and assess your knowledge critically. You may be surprised at how little you actually know.

Here are examples of the cognitive biases that lead to the nonsense promulgated on this thread.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is when people with limited knowledge in a particular area overestimate their abilities in that area. Because they lack the knowledge and experience to actually understand how much they don't know. For instance they may think they can’t be a backseat driver because they have a driving licence

Confirmation bias is when people  seek out only information that confirms their existing beliefs, and ignore or dismiss information that contradicts those beliefs.

These people to believe that they are "experts" on a topic even if they have only superficial knowledge of it.. They are often “one quote wonders” – e,g,, someone who believes that vaccines cause autism will only seek out information that supports that belief, and they might ignore or dismiss any evidence to the contrary.

The “availability heuristic” is a mental shortcut that we use to make judgments about the likelihood of something happening based on how easily examples of it come to mind. Or how often they see them on youtube etc….. This leads people to overestimate their own expertise and they don’t realise the relative insignificance of the few examples or the  times when they appeared to get it right. For example, someone who has successfully driven a car a few times might think they are an expert driver, even all they have done is driven a lot of miles or never had an accident themselves. They are like someone who backs a winner in the Derby horse race and then claims they are an expert on horse racing.

Road safety isn't really to do with driving - it's understanding the science....

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/18/2023 at 9:42 AM, Wiggy said:

22 hours ago, kwilco said:

Sadly I'd disagree

Why do people think they are experts on things they know nothing about. Certainly passing a driving test - of any kind is grossly overrated.....

I also worry about the use of that word expert - do people really understand what that means? Is it an automatic proof that and argument is correct or validated?

…… If they drive a car they think they are "experts" on driving,

….. because they went to school they are "experts" on education

……. and because they have been in hospital they think they are "experts" on health care?

Many people mistake their personal experience with these topics as way more informative than it really is. They mistake the significance of personal experience (of bad habits) as a general overview of a topic far more complex than they ever conceive.

It is important to be aware of the cognitive biases that can lead people to overestimate their knowledge and abilities. If you find yourself thinking that you are an "expert" on something you know little about, it is important to take a step back and assess your knowledge critically. You may be surprised at how little you actually know.

Here are examples of the cognitive biases that lead to the nonsense promulgated on this thread.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is when people with limited knowledge in a particular area overestimate their abilities in that area. Because they lack the knowledge and experience to actually understand how much they don't know. For instance they may think they can’t be a backseat driver because they have a driving licence

Confirmation bias is when people  seek out only information that confirms their existing beliefs, and ignore or dismiss information that contradicts those beliefs.

These people to believe that they are "experts" on a topic even if they have only superficial knowledge of it.. They are often “one quote wonders” – e,g,, someone who believes that vaccines cause autism will only seek out information that supports that belief, and they might ignore or dismiss any evidence to the contrary.

The “availability heuristic” is a mental shortcut that we use to make judgments about the likelihood of something happening based on how easily examples of it come to mind. Or how often they see them on youtube etc….. This leads people to overestimate their own expertise and they don’t realise the relative insignificance of the few examples or the  times when they appeared to get it right. For example, someone who has successfully driven a car a few times might think they are an expert driver, even all they have done is driven a lot of miles or never had an accident themselves. They are like someone who backs a winner in the Derby horse race and then claims they are an expert on horse racing.

Road safety isn't really to do with driving - it's understanding the science....

You need to get out more ????

Edited by Wiggy

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

But you seem to think you do?

What makes you say that? In what way am I an expert?

I seldom use the word expert myself – except when illustrating other people’s use of the word which I think is usually meaningless and has no bearing on the discussion.

Misuse of the word “expert” is a well-known logical fallacy – a false  “Appeal to authority” – it implies the argument is wrong or invalid because of claims of an “expert” or because the person is NOT an “expert” – without defining why this qualification itself is valid.

Mostly people use the word to insist that a claim is true/false simply because an authority or expert on the issue said it was true, without any other supporting evidence offered

It seems that in using the word “Expert” - people are actually attacking the messenger rather than the message. It’s an attempt discredit anyone who says something they don’t agree with or didn’t know. By suggesting they are an “expert” is a deliberate misuse of the concept.

You need to bear in mind that the information I use is not MINE – it is that of motoring organisations, WHO, Road safety papers etc. etc. – it is the information of people who have studied road safety in depth and published their findings – most of it is there for all to see, if they bother to look.

Edited by kwilco

6 minutes ago, kwilco said:

What makes you say that? In what way am I an expert?

I seldom use the word expert myself – except when illustrating other people’s use of the word which I think is usually meaningless and has no bearing on the discussion.

Misuse of the word “expert” is a well-known logical fallacy – a false  “Appeal to authority” – it implies the argument is wrong or invalid because of claims of an “expert” or because the person is NOT an “expert” – without defining why this qualification itself is valid.

Mostly people use the word to insist that a claim is true/false simply because an authority or expert on the issue said it was true, without any other supporting evidence offered

It seems that in using the word “Expert” - people are actually attacking the messenger rather than the message. It’s an attempt discredit anyone who says something they don’t agree with or didn’t know. By suggesting they are an “expert” is a deliberate misuse of the concept.

You need to bear in mind that the information I use is not MINE – it is that of motoring organisations, WHO, Road safety papers etc. etc. – it is the information of people who have studied road safety in depth and published their findings – most of it is there for all to see, if they bother to look.

Rant over is it?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/17/2023 at 8:39 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

This reminds me of a pickup that landed in a ditch outside my house at 10.30 one night, and the driver claimed he had swerved to avoid a pedestrian. I live in the countryside where I doubt more than five or six people walk past all day, and no-one ever walks at night. But you've got ta save face haven't you, and blame your poor driving on someone else - even if it's a ghost.

7 hours ago, kwilco said:

Getting out is how I learn about this sort of stuff.

A winking emoji suggests I was joking, so no need for a serious reply. Besides, you still haven’t identified the root of the problem (see my earlier post and you’ll see). 

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

A winking emoji suggests I was joking, so no need for a serious reply. Besides, you still haven’t identified the root of the problem (see my earlier post and you’ll see). 

I have in fact pointed several root causes of the problem in my earlier posts - It is a problem with many who don't understand road safety or any other issue that they consider it in terms of black and white, simple dichotomies and resorting to sealioning.

In fact it is far more complex than that and one needs to educate oneself on the matter - at least that's what I did.

If you want to make a start a good starting place is always wiki.

Of course you'll need to find out what to look up so again I'd suggest you start with "road Safety" or better still "The Safe System"

THat will at least put you on the right road.

BTW _i've been reading up on Thai road safety for about 20 years - so don't exper=ct to find all the answers in one go.

Edited by kwilco