Retirement visa from an agent

I have been using the same company for 3 years to do my retirement visa.  The initial cost was around 18000 baht and the following year I was told it would cost 14,000 but when it came up for renewal they asked for 16,000 baht.  I bit the bullet then but this year they are now asking 18,000 baht for the renewal.  I also have to pay another 500 baht every 3 months for a 90 days notification renewal to be sent to me

What are the going prices for these services nowaday?  Are their prices reasonable or am I being held hostage??  Feel free to message me with any personal recommendations

Thanks guys

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NoDisplayName said:

Do you have 800K in the bank, or are you able to show monthly transfers?

Where was your visa/extension stamped?  In which province is the agent doing your 90-day reports?

I have been living here for umpteen years, was married and i do have the money but not in the bank.  Im in the south but the visa is stamped in Chainat

1 minute ago, NoDisplayName said:

You're a hostage to your current agent.  Your visa and extension are technically valid, but not legal according to regulations as written.  You won't be able to renew yourself as you're not registered with immigration where you live, and you haven't maintained the required bank balance.  Only options are continue with agent, or exit the country and get a new visa in a neighboring country, or come back with a waiver and apply for a visa at immigration.

If you try to move to a different agent, you'll be starting out as a new customer paying full price and will have the same problem.  You'll just be hostage to the new agent.

cheers for your reply - much appreciated and I agree, its simply a case of better the devil I know than the devil I dont.  The agency has been reputable and well known for offering Thai Visa (.com) and they told me that the costs have increased due to shennanigans of the chinese who have arrived on illegal visas and that they must charge more to ensure my visa.  As you said, they are now holding me hostage but at least others will learn a lesson from my tale.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

they told me that the costs have increased due to shennanigans of the chinese who have arrived on illegal visas and that they must charge more to ensure my visa.

sounds like the bent IOs have pumped the price following the Chinese visa debacle, as expected. so why are you blaming the agency and making false claims about them holding you hostage? you're free to use a different agent any time you like.

18,000 is a reasonable price given the circumstances. in Pattaya it'll cost you 12,500 + 1,600 if your Bangkok Bank branch is not in Patts/Chonburi.

if you don't have a BBL account then it'll cost another 3,700 or 5,000-odd depending on your age to open a new account. I forget the age ranges, maybe up to 60 for the cheaper price (because bank insurance).

90 day reports are 100 baht.

of course you've got to physically present yourself in Pattaya for the renewal and you'll have to mail your passport to the agent for the TM47.

If you're in the south then obviously there are travel costs, so all up you probably won't be better off by using a Pattaya agent rather than your current one.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

sounds like the bent IOs have pumped the price following the Chinese visa debacle, as expected. so why are you blaming the agency and making false claims about them holding you hostage? you're free to use a different agent any time you like.

18,000 is a reasonable price given the circumstances. in Pattaya it'll cost you 12,500 + 1,600 if your Bangkok Bank branch is not in Patts/Chonburi.

if you don't have a BBL account then it'll cost another 3,700 or 5,000-odd depending on your age to open a new account. I forget the age ranges, maybe up to 60 for the cheaper price (because bank insurance).

90 day reports are 100 baht.

of course you've got to physically present yourself in Pattaya for the renewal and you'll have to mail your passport to the agent for the TM47.

If you're in the south then obviously there are travel costs, so all up you probably won't be better off by using a Pattaya agent rather than your current one.

thank you for that informative reply and you are probably right, Im better sticking with the devil I know than the devil I dont know residing in Pattaya ????

Edited by JustAnotherFarang
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

I have been using the same company for 3 years to do my retirement visa.  The initial cost was around 18000 baht and the following year I was told it would cost 14,000 but when it came up for renewal they asked for 16,000 baht.  I bit the bullet then but this year they are now asking 18,000 baht for the renewal.  I also have to pay another 500 baht every 3 months for a 90 days notification renewal to be sent to me

What are the going prices for these services nowaday?  Are their prices reasonable or am I being held hostage??  Feel free to message me with any personal recommendations

Thanks guys

Are you joking or what? You are whining and looking around for a fee of only 18,000 on renewal? Up to 30,000 is 2023 standard, maybe even more in some places. Below 25k is a steal.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Are you joking or what? You are whining and looking around for a fee of only 18,000 on renewal? Up to 30,000 is 2023 standard, maybe even more in some places. Below 25k is a steal.

EXACTLY! 

This is why, upon reading through this thread, I became utterly confused... 

Because, the relevant fees he is quoting seem to be about half the going rate... or LESS. 

Something seem to be amiss here, because these fees just don't ring true... 

Let's wait for further clarification... 

5 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

12 month extensions for retirement?

1,900 Baht if you do it yourself.

90 Days reports? Free.

It really is not difficult.

Extension or new passport, depends on which Immigration Office, which Immigration Officer and which day of the week it is.

I have been asked for a dozen different forms, copies of bank books etc over my 10+ years.

Immigration Officers love flipping through bank books.

90 days always a breeze.????????

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

You're a hostage to your current agent.  Your visa and extension are technically valid, but not legal according to regulations as written.  You won't be able to renew yourself as you're not registered with immigration where you live, and you haven't maintained the required bank balance.  Only options are continue with agent, or exit the country and get a new visa in a neighboring country, or come back with a waiver and apply for a visa at immigration.

If you try to move to a different agent, you'll be starting out as a new customer paying full price and will have the same problem.  You'll just be hostage to the new agent.

There's no problem changing from one agent to another, in fact I did that this year. I got a better price. The "full price" you speak of is the cost of getting a new O-visa after entering on a visa exempt stamp if you left Thailand without a re-entry permit. Who would do that?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Only options are continue with agent, or exit the country and get a new visa in a neighboring country, or come back with a waiver and apply for a visa at immigration.

Your post correctly outlines the options.

Some folk think that can flick a switch to meeting the financials requirements.

I suggest the OP just goes with the flow bit the same as when rents are increased.

Indeed he can do as you suggest perhaps at some point exit Thailand reenter visa exempt and start over obtaining a new non O and subsequent extensions meeting the financials. 

I would even open a new bank account.

• Like 1

Your question is of great interest to me. I am on a 90 day visa scheduled to return to United States middle of next week, I am scheduled to meet with an agent on Monday at bank in Bangkok and then immigration 35000 thb.Don’t really mind the price but I am tied to the agent for all further renewals???? TIA

I use an agent who, charges less and my local immigation officer told me to pop in register my original address when done, He stated it wasn't a problem, then he stated I can do 90 day on line or just pop in, no charges, when the agent did my 90 day, there was no charge included in the first and one time fee each year. There are agency around who will milk you. My friend went to one in BKK who had all these add on fees. The agent I use is very good and operates from Khong kaen area, but will do anywhere. You can mesage me if you would like to know them. By the way, he applied for retirement with BKK agent, but, really to teach he needed to change after a few months , went to my agent who arranged to cancel retirement and got him a married extension, with out any problems. so, yes just go to a new agent whenever you wish, just remember to change back your address with local immigation office, if you are not a wanderer and have a home somewhere. and then you can do your 90 days yourself free.

Edited by phetpeter
  • Love It 1

15 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Last week I met a Swiss guy, completely clueless about visas who told me he paid 23k for a 3 month TV...

No such thing as a 3 month TV.

Was probably a non O that gives a 90day permit.

Agents cannot obtain a tourist visa from inside Thailand 

• Thanks 1