What's so good about Thailand?

bob smith

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

1 out of 6 isn't a majority. Illegal immigrants are here also, as many as 8 million and counting. Trafficking in children and women coming from other countries is high. Suicide percentage in USA is 1.7% in 2018, Thailand is 8.8% in 2019.

?

14.2 was the suicide rate in USA in 2018

https://www.shadac.org/news/US-Suicide-Death-Rate-Reached-Record-High

where did you get 8 million from lol, just make it up?

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

?

14.2 was the suicide rate in USA in 2018

https://www.shadac.org/news/US-Suicide-Death-Rate-Reached-Record-High

where did you get 8 million from lol, just make it up?

It was a typo, in 2005 it was 5 million, which actually means much more by now...................https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_immigration_to_Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

USA supermarket

image.png.5d252a7b8f20ea27c3d54c000d228427.png

image.png.2c8c82b6525f683b9e1a218aed82fdf6.png

Thailand

image.png.10ab652e9b16ea7afe1baee9173f773d.png

While this is true in many places, obesity in

Thailand has climbed dramatically in the last 10 years and will continue without abating for a long time to come. Western food imported. I used to, before I came here, and a month while first staying here, that there were millions of slim ,pretty women here. After living here for almost 6 years, I see that has changed for the worse. Every day I see many very big locals, although America still is higher.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

I am not impressed with the food in Thailand. I can’t eat fire.  The women are certainly a plus, very attractive. Their motives are another matter. I am here for the cost of living, but Immigration is hard at work to drive out foreigners of only modest means. 65 thousand baht a month is considered too low. Fortunately, my next COLA increase in my pension will lift me to 100 thousand baht a month. Even THAT figure is too low for “Big Joke”.  Racism has simply replaced common sense in Thailand.

Cambodia is just across the line.

they actually want expats there and are grateful for our money.

I see Cambodia really doing well in the next 10 years or so.

People have had enough of Thailand constantly changing their goal posts due to ethnocentrism and xenophobia. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, fredwiggy said:

You think it has decreased??? Just from news reports I get from worldwide sources, and also local, it has increased steadily.

It's easy to find out - first you say 8 million then change to 5, when the reality is more like 1-2 million.

https://thailand.iom.int/migration-context#:~:text=Of the 4 - 5 million,in Thailand through legal routes.

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It's easy to find out - first you say 8 million then change to 5, when the reality is more like 1-2 million.

https://thailand.iom.int/migration-context#:~:text=Of the 4 - 5 million,in Thailand through legal routes.

I said it was a typo and changed it. And that number isn't near what's actually here. There are sources besides one, and most have said it is increasing. I've heard it on various local and US news stations since I've lived here. One source stated more than 42,000 caught this year.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thumbs Up 1

i grew a bit weary of life in Bangkok, then i visited my home for the first time in 18 years and after 1 hour, i realized why I preferred Thailand. miserable weather and miserable people, the women looked awfull and the prices were shocking. i did enjoy a return to good ol' english sausage rolls though. Sorely missed.

1 minute ago, nikmar said:

i grew a bit weary of life in Bangkok, then i visited my home for the first time in 18 years and after 1 hour, i realized why I preferred Thailand. miserable weather and miserable people, the women looked awfull and the prices were shocking. i did enjoy a return to good ol' english sausage rolls though. Sorely missed.

Greggs? 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

I am very aware of the benefits of Cambodia. It is basically my “Plan B” if Thailand should continue its policy of ousting farang in favor of the high dollar.

TH doesn't 'oust' anyone.  That people plan poorly and can't afford to meet the minimum requirement, is not TH's fault.

IF you can't muster up a mere 400k or 800k a year, you probably shouldn't leave the safety net of your home country.

Nobody forced anyone to come or stay in TH.

Not happy ... PLEASE LEAVE

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nikmar said:

i did enjoy a return to good ol' english sausage rolls though. Sorely missed.

Too easy to make, as I've done more than a few times, whether making your own sausage or store bought.

Wrap in store bought puff pastry, & Bob's your Uncle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Felton Jarvis said:

when Immigration decides YOU need to go, who will speak for you?

That will never be a concern of mine.   My retirement was well planned.  Intelligent, or even not so intelligent people do that, actually plan their retirement.

YMMV

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

That will never be a concern of mine.   My retirement was well planned.  Intelligent, or even not so intelligent people do that, actually plan their retirement.

YMMV

I didn't plan to retire to Thailand, never crossed my mind.............:stoner:

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

in your opinion, whats so good about living in Thailand?

for me i struggle to find the positives. lets take a deep dive into the facts for a minute, shall we?

Thailand doesnt have democracy.

This means there is no right to freedom of expression and human rights are not important.

bureaucracy reigns supreme. it affects almost every aspect of daily life here.

90 day reporting. treated like a common criminal the minute we get off the plane.

healthcare only good if you have money. if you are poor forget it.

its either hot or wet most of the year. 

pollution is a serious issue and will kill you eventually. 

alcohol prices rising fast. soon it will be comparable to the UK/US.

institutional racism.

cant own land. etc etc etc

off the top of my head i can only think of two things that are good about Thailand, they are;

The food.

The women.

if Thailand didnt have those above it would be hell on earth.

how about you lot? what do you find so good about living in Thailand?

A heck of a lot:

Good cheap food

Friendly, polite population

Stunning seasides and countrysides

Superb roads

Cheap accommodation 

Cheap hotels with far, far higher standards for the price than in Europe

Decent, effective and reasonably priced healthcare

Outstanding service in shops, offices and service outlets

'Can do' attitudes - always finding some way to solve a problem

Very hardworking

And as for bureaucracy yes - but it's a real doddle compared to what immigrants have to go through in Britain.

Ok, not perfect - what country is; but coming here for the first time in 1974 and living here since 2015 I'm not tempted to try anywhere else.