British TikToker praises Thai gas man’s effort to master the English language

webfact

44 minutes ago, malathione said:

For your edification, the point is that it is hardly a big thing if it is something that occurs all over the country countless times.

Who said that it was "a big thing"?  For your edification, no one did.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Too right.....

My nearby Shell station, they totally ignore my efforts to speak Thai and it seems most of them manage a bit of English. USUALLY young kids... dare I suspect the schools are getting better?

And there was you just ready to announce yourself on the forum as a ' fluent Thai speaker ' and the Shell station kids stole your thunder! ????????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

FWIW,

I found him a pleasant, interesting, chatty little kid.

Hell, I'd have bought him an ice cream, little bugger looked warm. Good on him wanting to practice his English.

I love Thai kids with a bit of personality of their own and he had bags of it telling him about the expansion plans for his college etc

Cheer up on here some miserable buggers today.

I'll second that.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, malathione said:
19 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Who said that it was "a big thing"?  No one, perhaps?

Then why is it news, pray tell?

Who said that it is "news"?  It's just an item on a forum, taken from <deleted> TikTok!

Edited by metisdead
Profanity removed.
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Last week, a beggar approached me outside 7/11 and wanted to practice her English. She said, 'you you money me'. As I was a teacher here for 25 years, I corrected her bad grammar.  Don't know why, but she wasn't very appreciative. 

It's making her endure a sermon or two before ,,, were you ever in the Salvation Army?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, malathione said:

So he ran across one of perhaps millions who practice speaking English with foreigners everyday.

Or the absolute opposite...... He ran into NOT the 69,900.000 million others who cant even farth in english....

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Last week, a beggar approached me outside 7/11 and wanted to practice her English. She said, 'you you money me'. As I was a teacher here for 25 years, I corrected her bad grammar.  Don't know why, but she wasn't very appreciative. 

I don't waste my time with beggars. I just ignore them like Thais do.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, JemJem said:

Gosh. So much negativity in this thread ????

Personally, in Bangkok, I talk mostly in Thai. I am not fluent, but my Thai is sort of intermediate/upper intermediate, and when most Thais hear me speak Thai, they answer back in Thai and so it goes . But, there are some Thais who answer back in English, and if their Thai is at least at an understandable level, I don't make a fuss and revert to English. Initially (many many years ago, I mean), I also got a bit upset if a Thai answered back to me in English, but, I don't mind now. It is nice to know that they are happy practicing their English.

I'm offended when that happens given I'm fluent in the language. In the past due to my lack of Thai, it was the opposite - I wanted people to speak English with me, because I didn't know enough Thai.

The issue is not that Thais don't want to speak in their language (they do) but there's a mental block, that they have to overcome because they're not used to foreigners speaking Thai (although it is getting more common). The other aspect is - how good one's Thai is. If one's accent is really strong (such as is often the case with American speakers of Thai) that might cause a Thai who speaks reasonable English to switch to English.

The only types who can get quite arrogant and even racist and who you may struggle to speak Thai to are the educated elite, often university professors, doctors and the like, who quite often aren't that good at English, or not as good as they think they are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

Maybe you should leave your "bad attitude" at home, probably in England, and be nice and communicate with people around you, use your mouth and smile from time to time, and the world will be a better place for all of us, maybe???

Lol, England again. I've never even been to England. Also, how many British people say "gas station"? You Brits use another word altogether. It's called "petrol".

I don't have time to have conversations with menial workers ive never met before. I tell them what I want and that's it.

You'll be the one people hate (mostly Thais) if you hold up the queue at a gas station by having a pointless conversation with someone who's employed to serve you and move you along as quickly as possible.

Edited by Highlandman
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 2