British TikToker praises Thai gas man’s effort to master the English language

webfact

On 8/18/2023 at 3:10 PM, Neeranam said:

Personally, I find this type of attendant extremely annoying. I speak Thai and they often can't figure that out. 

Most likely in Chiang Mai, it's because they are maybe from Myanmar or that the "Thai" you are speaking has a completely different accent to thiers. Maybe try to understand the subtlties of the language and be extremely annoyed at your own lack of empathy,

On 8/18/2023 at 7:15 PM, Neeranam said:

Last week, a beggar approached me outside 7/11 and wanted to practice her English. She said, 'you you money me'. As I was a teacher here for 25 years, I corrected her bad grammar.  Don't know why, but she wasn't very appreciative. 

The fact that you were a teacher for 25 years explains your inability to comprehend anything that requires some listening and empathy. Too used to imparting your superior views on to the poor uneducated wretches, I suspect.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, V8M8 said:

The fact that you were a teacher for 25 years explains your inability to comprehend anything that requires some listening and empathy. Too used to imparting your superior views on to the poor uneducated wretches, I suspect.

But at least the people he taught would have understood his "perfect" Thai!

(no matter what language they were used to!)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

personal observation makes it clear to me that the that the 'eyes not believing the ears' thing is very real...

THat's just  conformation bias

Edited by kwilco

On 8/18/2023 at 3:27 PM, Red Forever said:

I always praise a Thai person when they try out their English on me and I help them.

Judging by some posts here on this subject there are some miserable, anti-social farang who are like the Brits who moved to Spain and are proud of the fact that they don't speak Spanish and only eat egg and chips.

Sad.

Spanish talk like a running race. 3 sentences in 3 seconds. Hareeba hareeba.

• 10 months later...
On 8/18/2023 at 8:03 AM, jacko45k said:

Too right.....

My nearby Shell station, they totally ignore my efforts to speak Thai and it seems most of them manage a bit of English. Usually young kids... dare I suspect the schools are getting better?

If you spoke more Thai and conversed with them, you'd learn a lot - like they are not Thai they are often Burmese, Cambodian or Laotian. You find out where they are from what family they have ertc etc....

• Sad 1

Ha,

Good on the lad. Well done.

A lot of them can speak English, they just pretend they can't.

But I never asked for applause when I learnt Thai and Lao., and No, they are not the same.

Contrary to popular belief on this board.

Going on 30 years in, I would be ashamed of myself if I had not made the effort to speak the language, and it has many benefits, especially regarding their friendliness towards me.

A common remark is,' you are one of us ', and you speak Thai clearly '

That's a heck of a compliment.

But it took years to gain the trust.

Edited by Scouse123