Toxic boss in Khao Yai hotel – Where is the empathy?

webfact

Sending a message asking for a leave is definitely not the right approach. A call and a vocal explanation might have given the situation a different outcome. But Thais are  obsessed with using Line, Messenger, etc. for everything. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The hotel also gained one-star reviews, which affected 65 hotels, located in other countries, in the same hotel chain.

That's gonna really hurt... the offending employee might be asked to send in their resignation.

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Big problem in Thailand is the lack of staff training

Agree but I reckon a bigger problem is staff and at times their lazy attitude, lack of commitment and job dedication. 

I've known my gf for 12 months. 

She's worked for an electronics factory, Makro, Tesco, Pet supermarket and now she's got a new job make up factory. 

She's always taking time off work for this and that. 

If I was her boss, I'd be ripping my hair out. 

It wasn't mentioned the work history of the woman that was refused leave, she may have a work history similar to my gf, her employer is fed up 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

5 hours ago, Deli said:

Sending a message asking for a leave is definitely not the right approach. A call and a vocal explanation might have given the situation a different outcome. But Thais are  obsessed with using Line, Messenger, etc. for everything. 

Sometimes you need things in writing... Just sayin'

• Like 2

4 hours ago, new2here said:

In my mind, this is one of those cases that really only has one outcome - you, the employer, approve it …. 

true, maybe the employee didn’t have the necessary time “banked” to take leave (if they operate on that type of system), perhaps the hotel was always short-staffed… there could be lots of good, solid, factually verifiable circumstances for a denial.

But… in the court of public opinion, there’s only one possible and acceptable answer - yes. 

The reality is that for cases like this (i am assuming it is as presented) you just can’t say no.. even if it leaves you short staffed… even if the employee didn’t follow all of the request protocols or didn’t have the necessary time banked/earned… you just can’t say no to a request to be with a dying parent, spouse or child… you just can’t.

Yes, I think it’s the morally right thing to do - to say yes.. but EVEN IF someone thought otherwise, even if they had good cause… the optics in saying no, would be so horrendously bad that you just can’t say no. 

Surely just as it should be?  Denying a child access to their soon to be/ recently departed parent should not be on the whims of a corporate supervisor.  Such is a life changing moment and profit shouldn't hold sway.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 4:49 PM, off road pat said:

Hm,...But it leaves a written trace of the event and can not be denied !!

I would say send the message immediately followed by a phone call of explanation!! But as said here by many we dont know all the facts, she may have a reputation for taking time off or the Hotel supervisor could be a thoughtless person!!