Expat Allegiance?

NickyLouie

On 8/23/2023 at 10:06 AM, Berkshire said:
al·le·giance
/əˈlēj(ə)ns/

noun
noun: allegiance; plural noun: allegiances
  1. loyalty or commitment of a subordinate to a superior or of an individual to a group or cause.

By the above definition....not sure.  But as an American, I'd never take up arms against the US.  I'd never commit treason or conspire against the US with a foreign gov.  Etc.  There are elected officials in the US that I can't stand nor agree with, but that's the nature of democracy.  I do receive various entitlements from the US, pay taxes, have assets in America, vote, and follow US news every day.  So I'm still very interested in what goes on in my home country, although I still prefer to be in Thailand.

+1, though I mind you, there are many US citizens that have no patriotic compass, at least for now or maybe things will turn for the better after the poop hits the fan, if they are able to withstand the utter demoralization that is looming.

Edited by novacova

On 8/21/2023 at 7:38 AM, soi3eddie said:

Culturally, many here would bear allegiance to their "home" country. Once all western countries start taxing for citizenship (rather than residence), will they still hold that alegiance? Quite a few wealthy US citizens, who also hold 2nd country passports are renouncing US citizenship. Will Brits, Aussies and Europeans do same if taxation on citizenship comes to pass (and they can access 2nd passport)?

Yes, I will give up my UK passport if this happens. 

I am Scottish anyway, not British. 

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2023 at 9:14 AM, foreverlomsak said:

In UK it exists now, even if you live in Thailand all year round and only have a Thai address and are classed as "Normally Resident" in Thailand, all income generated in the UK (includes pensions) are subject to UK taxes.

Know a few who hold both Irish (Eire) and UK passports and have done for years, don't know if UK or EU taxes are more beneficial to them.

Interesting, how much tax is paid on a UK pension? I'll get one in 10 years and might pay tax here if better.

On 8/21/2023 at 7:27 AM, LaosLover said:

America has zero allegiance to me and the feeling is mutual.

Would I feel allegiance to other Americans over here?

No. And that goes double if they are Trump Trash.

(sniff)  *wipes away tear*    gently puts maga hat back on Trump Altar.......sniffs again...

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Interesting, how much tax is paid on a UK pension? I'll get one in 10 years and might pay tax here if better.

Depends on your total income, all streams are added together, if your entitled to it currently you don't pay on the Personal Allowance of 12,570 GBP after that 20%.

Check Rates and allowances for Income Tax - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

If you have income in the UK, it is subject to tax, I'm not aware that the UK supports pay tax in one country or another, if you can prove that I would like to know where to get details.

Be aware that Thai Taxation rules contained in the following link allows for it to be taxed as you bring it in.

Personal Income Tax | The Revenue Department (English Site) (rd.go.th)

There does appear to a general understanding that if you bring in your money outside the Thai tax year it was earned in, it cannot be touched, apart from an HSBC document asserting that, I've seen nothing to verify it. 

1 minute ago, foreverlomsak said:

Depends on your total income, all streams are added together, if your entitled to it currently you don't pay on the Personal Allowance of 12,570 GBP after that 20%.

Check Rates and allowances for Income Tax - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

If you have income in the UK, it is subject to tax, I'm not aware that the UK supports pay tax in one country or another, if you can prove that I would like to know where to get details.

Be aware that Thai Taxation rules contained in the following link allows for it to be taxed as you bring it in.

Personal Income Tax | The Revenue Department (English Site) (rd.go.th)

There does appear to a general understanding that if you bring in your money outside the Thai tax year it was earned in, it cannot be touched, apart from an HSBC document asserting that, I've seen nothing to verify it. 

Thanks, that's a great start to finding out! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Only "allegiance" is to a Western view of international relations rather than RU/PRC versions. Rest is just a matter of time before I'm able to renounce my primary citizenship and fall back on the secondary (have to make a living after all).

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 12:39 PM, mania said:

PS; I am not claiming allegiance to any country but I do accept the fact they do offer both patriots & ex-patriots alike many benefits

Yea, it isn't 'patriot' . . . but nicely put. ????

On 8/24/2023 at 8:16 PM, novacova said:

Nice you can come here and express your prejudices 

Come 'where'?  Thailand?   Not Merkin.

Also, when will Anglos stop saying they're expats when they've moved to another country with few plans to return?  They're immigrants.  Simple.  

Allegiance to the 'old country'?  Mentally possibly as my original nation has provided nothing but positives to my life, but I wouldn't necessarily choose to live there again. 

As was put forward earlier - sports?  Yes. 

Edited by Sing_Sling

No. I do associate with being an American. I have alot of ties back there, and enjoy frequent trips back there. And I am grateful for my American passport. But, no real sense of allegiance, and absolute no sense of patriotism, other than my hate for Russia and China. Not so much the people. But, certainly the governments. However, I hate the US govt. too. Come to think of it, I hate all governments. They all stink.

Out of being, sight & mind.

If not for FB and or news-blips, AN threads, USA would never cross my mind.  On FB, someone just posted '9-11 Never Forget' ,,, I forgot long time ago.

Along with Christian holiday, govt holidays (Labor, Veterans, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving ... etc).  They all pass me by until someone mentions it.

I know when the Thai holidays are, as know not to plan an O&A during that time ????

Only thing reminds me that I'm a Yank, is COLA, SS DD, and visa extension.  Usually think about the USA, when bill comes for nice meal, or I see a doc, and realize the savings living here.