Do you need 6 months validity on your Passport beyond your yearly visa extension(Non-O, marriage or retirement)?

To clarify, Lets' say you renew your yearly extension on January 1st 2024, would you need to have a Passport valid until June 2025 or would you be able to apply without any isues? I know you need to travel with a passport with nothing less than 6 months before expiration. Does this apply to marriage or retirement extensions? The passport would be valid during the whole period of the visa extension but does it need to have six months validity beyond that? Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

No, because his passport has about 18 months validity, he will just recieve the normal 1 year extension.

From the OP ....

"Lets' say you renew your..." 

He was asking hypothetical question.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

He would receive the regular one-year extension. However, even with a re-entry permit, it might be difficult to travel once the passport has less than six months remaining validity. This is mainly because of the immigration rules of other countries, and sometimes because of airline policy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, pluto_manibo said:

To clarify, Lets' say you renew your yearly extension on January 1st 2024, would you need to have a Passport valid until June 2025 or would you be able to apply without any isues?

No, but your extension of stay will never be longer than for the validity of your passport; i.e., in your example an extension for one year, when applying in January 2024, your permitted stay will be for one year to a January-date in 2025. If you re-apply for an extension in January 2025 with the same passport, you will only be permitted a stay until June 2025.

• Thumbs Up 2

I had this at Jomtien.

My retirement extension renewed last November, but my passport expired early October of this year.

So the extension expires on the old passport expiry date. When I obtained a new passport and transferred details, the expiry date stayed the same ie October, so in effect I lost a month.

This is a problem that I have.

When I did my 90 day report last Friday the IO at Kamphaeng Phet, told my wife that I needed a new passport. She didn't tell me until we were well past the halfway mark on the way home

My extension expires on October 31st 2023 and my passport expires on 16 June 2024.

I normally do my extension in the middle of October, and that would give me 8 months validity on my passport and plenty of blank pages.

I had planned to go yesterday (Monday) but my wife (who is also my driver and translator) is sick and cannot drive the 70 km each way to KPP IO.

Whilst I am sure that the IO is wrong in this case, I am not 100% certain, hence the trip to KPP IO.

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

My extension expires on October 31st 2023 and my passport expires on 16 June 2024.

Means that your extension stamp will have and expiry date 16 June..

You can decide to do that but silly idea.

Obtain a new pp now.

Probably don't have enough time. 

You do realize that many countries have a 6 month validity rule. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Means that your extension stamp will have and expiry date 16 June..

You can decide to do that but silly idea.

Obtain a new pp now.

Probably don't have enough time. 

You do realize that many countries have a 6 month validity rule. 

That is what I thought was correct, but I want to get the word from the horse's mouth as it were.

There is an agent in Bangkok/Samut Prakan that will do it, but at a cost of 11,000 thb. They emailed the forms yesterday. It is a form fillable PDF document.

Having been in hospital a couple of times this year I would like to stretch the application out until he start of November to get some money back into my bank account.

A line from his email to me.

Uk passports are only taking 4 weeks to process now 

On 8/21/2023 at 7:09 AM, pluto_manibo said:

To clarify, Lets' say you renew your yearly extension on January 1st 2024, would you need to have a Passport valid until June 2025 or would you be able to apply without any isues? I know you need to travel with a passport with nothing less than 6 months before expiration. Does this apply to marriage or retirement extensions? The passport would be valid during the whole period of the visa extension but does it need to have six months validity beyond that? Thank you.

I suppose that you could look at it in the same way as a visa application. You will need at least 6 months validity on your passport and empty pages as well.

I would however like to get the word from Immigration if possible.