Washing Machine integrated in Kitchen with cabinets left and right - how much space should it have left and right for vibrations?

OneMoreFarang

I will soon build my IKEA Method kitchen.

I have a washing machine which will be between two cabinets. The standard cabinet width is 600mm.

The washing machine width is, according to the manual, 596.5mm.

It's some time ago that I used a washing machine myself, but as far as I remember they vibrate, especially spin-drying.

How much space should I leave left and right between the washing machine and the cabinets?

If I use the standard cabinet size, then that would leave me only 1.75mm on each side. Is that enough?

Thanks

This is just a sample picture from the web. My installation will be similar. 

Integrated-washing-machine-in-kitchen.jp

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Thumbs Up 1

It looks really nice, well done.

I would be of little help, but why not mount the cabinets in 2 phases ?

What I mean is to mount the grey cabinets only till the left part of the WM,  then run it on full spin and see the movements then accordingly you can finish having the right part cabinets mounted ?

Another idea that comes to mind is to jam the sides with a shock absorbent high resilience foam plate such as the machine won't be able to move when shaking ?

I have a 3 yr old Bosch and I could practically mix cocktails on the top as it really starts so shake and move on 1200 round spin dry.

Edited by observer90210
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I would be of little help, but why not mount the cabinets in 2 phases ?

What I mean is to mount the grey cabinets only till the left part of the WM,  then run it on full spin and see the movements then accordingly you can finish having the right part cabinets mounted ?

I have a 3 yr old Bosch and I could practically mix cocktails on the top as it really starts so shake and move on 1200 round spin dry.

Thanks, I could do that. And maybe I will do it.

But I try to learn also from other peoples' experiences. Maybe some people in this forum found out too late that they should have left more space left and right. That's why I ask. 

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have a washing machine which will be between two cabinets. The standard cabinet width is 600mm.

It's some time ago that I used a washing machine myself, but as far as I remember they vibrate, especially spin-drying.

How much space should I leave left and right between the washing machine and the cabinets?

If I use the standard cabinet size, then that would leave me only 1.75mm on each side. Is that enough?

Thanks

Difficult to answer, as many different factors can make your machine dance - uneven load usually, which even exact balancing or intelligent software will not mitigate.

I would allow at least 1 inch gaps all around (including top), or better still, add the machine on to the end of the run of your cupboards. 

If it goes off unattended, it could wreck your adjacent cupboards.

Most domestic front loading machines here come with a supplied plinth, aswell as a built in worktop, that will bring it upto standard Western worktop height.

If you're set on built in - check depth of machine, plus minimum recommended clearance behind machine, aswell as plumbing.

Good luck.

54 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have left IMG_6439.thumb.jpeg.c3ced122673714b69564044520a46638.jpeg

this on the left and back

this on the right

IMG_6440.thumb.jpeg.37e636aeee752517a1f43f5e83c444bd.jpeg

The reason for the larger gap on the right is for the used clothes baskets under 

IMG_6441.thumb.jpeg.11a01b1ea21c5a8defe7df259f83d0c4.jpegIMG_6442.thumb.jpeg.4cc7d26b7c93f652480df1f8f27eee4f.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pla Simon said:

I would allow at least 1 inch gaps all around (including top), or better still, add the machine on to the end of the run of your cupboards. 

Any washing machine that needs that much clearance needs to be junked as it will certainly be disintegrating in the near future.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, novacova said:

Some of those front loaders walk during spin cycle, first id consider anchoring the machine somehow so it doesn’t eventually wear into the cabinets 

I never had trouble with my front loader, buy a good one.

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Any washing machine that needs that much clearance needs to be junked as it will certainly be disintegrating in the near future.

That's absolutely not true.

Centrifugal force is to be reckoned with.

You put bedding or large towels in a small domestic front load machine, let it tangle together and watch it go - even with intelligent micro control it could still rip through an enclosing cabinet before it cuts out..

Obviously law of averages stops it from happening often, but it is an eventuality that needs to be accounted for.

My advice and opinion is based on previous 9 Years experience of owning a contract laundry - building it up from nothing, using highest quality domestic and professional equipment, in Thailand.

I have had more machines than I care to count, of all varieties.

Even my 25kg washers, which needed a poured 8 inch steel reinforced plinth for the sub frame to be expansion bolted to before installation, would need at least an inch around them for safety - these are machines that weigh a couple of hundred kilos.

I personally, would not have a built in washer - but each to their own - just trying to give advice.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

Why have the washing machine as the 'focal point' of the kitchen? Stick it at the end of a cabinet run, with one side open so only one gap needed.

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Washing machine in the kitchen?  Hmmm....I have my washer/dryer in a different room altogether.  Maybe a dishwasher would be more appropriate in that spot.  But if that's your preference....

37 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why have the washing machine as the 'focal point' of the kitchen? Stick it at the end of a cabinet run, with one side open so only one gap needed.

It's in a condominium with limited options.

My gf wants it, and she is often enough in the kitchen. We have enough space in the kitchen and little (extra) space in the bathroom. 

The kitchen is a room with a door. That will allow her to cook "smelly" Thai food without me complaining. I am not a fan of a kitchen as part of a living room.

There will be a kitchen work top (probably some stone) over the washing machine. For that reason, it makes sense to have cabinets left and right.

I can have up to about 2cm space left and right and then the cabinets still fit on the wall.

If I use only 0.5 or 1cm left and right around the washing machine, then I will use the remaining space as extra space around the fridge. Currently I plan for the fridge the minimum recommended space (including air gaps left and right).

If a small gap is good enough for the washing machine, then I will use that. Big gaps won't look nice.

But let's see. 

Thanks for all your answers. 

Well @Pla Simon in my experience it is only the kinds of washing machines that have ever had vibration issues are ones in laundrettes so it would explain why you are making that recommendation, all the domestic machines I have had and used have been relatively vibration, free (yes they vibrate but not much) certainty not a single one has ever needed the clearance the clearance you suggested.

FWIW it is actually centripetal force in the washing machine.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Frankly your making a big thing out of nothing.

Thanks. If that is the case, then all is fine.

I just want to avoid thinking something is a small issue and then later maybe I find out it is a bigger issue. This is why I asked.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Washing machine in the kitchen?  Hmmm....I have my washer/dryer in a different room altogether.  Maybe a dishwasher would be more appropriate in that spot.  But if that's your preference....

Why not?... you prefer the bedroom ?

We have two kitchens....   the larger of the two is somewhat more 'utility based' and houses the drier, washing machine oven etc...  

Some Condo's don't have the 'space' luxury having a utility room, which is what I think you mean.

OMF is renovating his condo, thus I doubt it has the 'extra' room you would consider. 

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks. If that is the case, then all is fine.

I just want to avoid thinking something is a small issue and then later maybe I find out it is a bigger issue. This is why I asked.

Fair call I can see you want it to look super duper. ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Fair call I can see you want it to look super duper. ????

I like quality products and quality work. And that makes my renovation pretty expensive.

And when it is anyhow expensive then why not make it look nice?

Probably a few decades ago I would have called it super-duper. ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I never had trouble with my front loader, buy a good one.

I’ve had front loaders, good ones like speed queen and prefer top loader anymore, again speed queen. Personally depending on the dwelling I would put the washer in a utility room, bathroom, balcony or outside. Just my personal preference.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, novacova said:

I’ve had front loaders, good ones like speed queen and prefer top loader anymore, again speed queen. Personally depending on the dwelling I would put the washer in a utility room, bathroom, balcony or outside. Just my personal preference.

I agree with having a seperate room for washing, ironing and a drying area next an outside space to hang out in sun.

Bit difficult in a condo. ????

Had front loaders in UK, here in Thailand we have always had a top loader washing machine.

Our new 12kg capacity Samsung it's brilliant.

• Like 2

Well @sometimewoodworker

Not here for a urinating contest, m8.

There is nothing you can teach me about laundry equipment - full stop.

FWIW -  If you're relying on google for ballast - check for the difference between centrifugal and centripetal force.

While you're at it, why not ask about recommended clearance around a built-in washing machine.

• Haha 1