Gout

mrbeerguy

Colcacine, available at most pharmacies. Google the dosage recommendations carefully. Works fine for me.

Or of course, quit whatever is causing Uric Acid crystals to build up in your joints (bones. not spliffs!)

Edited by KannikaP

I had an attack recently, realised I had been drinking too much beer and went teetotal. The pain went away after a week or so, but apparently as the crystals of uric acid start to dissolve, they take the form of tiny splinters which cause additional pain until they have disappeared. You might invest in a uric acid meter (Lazada) and take a look at that aspect. 

I had somethibg resembling gout toes and wrists but is probably more old age arthy.  Anywy have you tried strengthening exercises.  Keeping affected areas motionless i dont think helps. Not enough emphasis on the exercising part.  Mild at first.  Work through the pain and increase if helping and stop if not after a few weeks. 

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I take daily 500 mg vitamin C. Have way less attacks, less pain and they last a couple of days compared to weeks before. 

Colcacine for one day is better than a couple of days/weeks. Worked for me.

Vit C staves off colds & flu!

Edited by KannikaP

I have had high levels of uric acid (gout) forever. But none of the pain. At 26 doc recommended a special diet. (Yes - no alcohol for 6 months.)

After 6 months, no change so I ditched the diet and also started drinking again.

Then in my early 60's I started to have painful attacks - frequently.

A doctor friend recommended that I start to take allopurinol on a daily basis. Have to start when there is no pain.

Since then, no pain, no attacks for the last 12 years.

See your doc to get advise on the correct dosage.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thumbs Up 1

The best treatment for acute gout attack is Naproxen (NSAID) and Colchicine, google for correct dosage of each. Then if attacks become frequent you can look at taking a life long drug every day called Allopurinol, there are many drugs used to help gout but this one is by far the most common.. This is a long term treatment for chronic gout and not a cure for acute attacks plus it can make an attack worse initially. Allopurinol takes about 3 to 6 weeks to have any real affect and the correct way to start taking it is to have your Uric Acid levels checked weekly so the dosage can be adjusted to suit you. If you're strong willed then life style changes can have the same affect as Allopurinol. Dehydration makes attacks more likely as the Kidney is the organ that dispels Uric Acid so the more you pee the more you dispel, but as we get older our kidneys are not so proficient at producing the enzyme needed to dispel the Uric Acid. 

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

The Mayo Clinic suggests that although vitamin C supplements may reduce the levels of uric acid in your blood, no studies have demonstrated that the severity or frequency of gout flares are affected by vitamin C.

16 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Colcacine for one day is better than a couple of days/weeks. Worked for me.

Vit C staves off colds & flu!

Vit C has been proven to help the body dispel Uric Acid. Colchicine is an excellent treatment for Gout attacks but best taken with a NSAID that is handled by the Liver, such as Naproxen. The NSAID reduces the swelling, the cause of the pain, and the Colchicine discourages the white blood cells from repeating the swelling. You should also drink plenty of water so you urinate regularly and dispel the Uric Acid.

3 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

Vit C has been proven to help the body dispel Uric Acid. Colchicine is an excellent treatment for Gout attacks but best taken with a NSAID that is handled by the Liver, such as Naproxen. The NSAID reduces the swelling, the cause of the pain, and the Colchicine discourages the white blood cells from repeating the swelling. You should also drink plenty of water so you urinate regularly and dispel the Uric Acid.

That's good to know, but how can I prove it.

If it is true I shall convert to drinking Screwdrivers instead of Singha!  555

+1 Colchicine - works for me

If I get a gout flare up then 1.2 mg followed by 0.6 mg an hour later does the trick - the earlier you do so the better. But I find one 0.6mg tablet once a fortnight seems to keep my uric acid under control.

Edited by Stocky

32 minutes ago, Stocky said:

+1 Colchicine - works for me

If I get a gout flare up then 1.2 mg followed by 0.6 mg an hour later does the trick - the earlier you do so the better. But I find one 0.6mg tablet once a fortnight seems to keep my uric acid under control.

Exactly as the dosage instructions say. Worked for me a few times, without orange juice.

Have you been diagnosed by a doctor as having gout, based on elevated uric acid levels and physical exam?

As this is first step . Otherwise may be confused with arthritis and other conditions. 

Gout attacks seldom last much more than 2 weeks even without treatment. 

• Like 1

I used to get Gout as early as my mid 30's. Seems to run in the family. I used to treat painful initial attacks with Colchicine and Voltaren anti-inflammable meds. The doctor prescribed Allopurinol as a long-term treatment, but I got side effects (nausea, and skin problems) from it.

I basically beat Gout by changing my diet. I stopped eating a lot of the food and drinks high in acidic properties (stuff like organ and processed meats, soda; especially cola, etc). I also use occasional doses of alkaline baking soda and milk of magnesia if I'd had a large meal, or drunk a lot of alcohol, etc. Works an absolute treat. (Please note that baking soda does contain a lot of sodium though).

A lot of info here: I cured my Gout

And comprehensive list of food pH properties: Acid-Alkaline

I had excruciatingly painful debillitating gout.  Lasting weeks on end.  It felt like broken shards of glass in all my joints

The remedy I used to cure gout was to transition to a more natural diet and take natural medicine.  Drinking distilled, pure water, more fruits and vegetables.  Less fast food and alcohol.

The natural medicine I turned to was urine therapy.  Which worked exceedingly well.  It cured all my other ailments too.  Diagnosis not required.

On 8/22/2023 at 12:43 PM, Jaggg88 said:

The best treatment for acute gout attack is Naproxen (NSAID) and Colchicine

Depends on the individual. That stuff stopped working for me after a while so I resorted to quackery from the internet, namely lemon juice and baking soda which worked a treat.

After the last attack subsided I went on to the Allopurinol and haven't had another attack in years.

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/22/2023 at 11:54 AM, TimeMachine said:

I had somethibg resembling gout toes and wrists but is probably more old age arthy.  Anywy have you tried strengthening exercises.  Keeping affected areas motionless i dont think helps. Not enough emphasis on the exercising part.  Mild at first.  Work through the pain and increase if helping and stop if not after a few weeks. 

If it's gout then you won't get rid of an accumulation of uric acid in the joint through exercise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cooked said:

If it's gout then you won't get rid of an accumulation of uric acid in the joint through exercise. 

You gotta try exercise though.  You are right but what benefit to the joint until you try?  Dont give up on exercise. Its far too easy to dismiss it. 

• Confused 1

Woke up Sunday morning with Gout in my left foot, big toe.

Extremally painful, just lightly touching the area caused huge pain.

Went to the doctor Monday morning and he prescribed 0.6mg Colchicine, take 2 immediately and 2 more as needed.

Also prescribed 25mg of Teva-Indomethacin, a NSAID anti inflammatory to be taken if needed later

Tuesday, still in extreme pain after taking only Colchicine so added the NSAID and within 4 hours I could walk again relatively pain free. 

Wednesday, am pain free, one more round of two pills and that's it.

Am 65, exercise, eat a healthy diet and am not overweight, but do have a family history of gout.

YMMV