Gout

mrbeerguy

18 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

You gotta try exercise though.  You are right but what benefit to the joint until you try?  Dont give up on exercise. Its far too easy to dismiss it. 

I run marathons and I still got gout. 

Gout is due to formation of uric acid crystals in the tissue and will not be in any way helped by exercise, in fact it may worsen the inflammation.

Osteoarthritis on the other hand benefits from targeted exercises to strengthen the relevant muscle groups and  thus reduce strain on the  joint.

Very important to distinguish between these  conditions hence my (unanswered) question to the OP. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 2:22 PM, Lemsta69 said:

Depends on the individual. That stuff stopped working for me after a while so I resorted to quackery from the internet, namely lemon juice and baking soda which worked a treat.

After the last attack subsided I went on to the Allopurinol and haven't had another attack in years.

It's not quackery. Very acidic food like lemons are metabolized by our stomachs as an alkaline and baking soda is also an alkaline so this raises the PH slightly and reduces the amount of uric acid your body produces from the purines in the food. Apple cider vinegar has the same effect for me. 

• Thanks 1

I've been a gout sufferer for decades.  Inherited from my dad.  I've been on allopurinol for decades as well.  100 mg daily.  I have not read in this thread that anyone has used INDOMETHACIN (INDOCIN) for pain relief.  For me, it has been the best, by far, for reducing or eliminating the pain and swelling caused by gout.  It is available over the counter at most pharmacies.  It is a very strong NSAID but works fast.

Good luck to all you fellow gout sufferers. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

It's not quackery. Very acidic food like lemons are metabolized by our stomachs as an alkaline and baking soda is also an alkaline so this raises the PH slightly and reduces the amount of uric acid your body produces from the purines in the food. Apple cider vinegar has the same effect for me. 

Spot on. Just a few tweaks to diet and gout becomes a thing of the past. Ditto toxic meds.

5 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Relax guy, I was having a laugh.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 1:07 PM, Seppius said:

I take 300mg of allopurinol daily, never had another attack, zero side effects in my case, eat and drink what ever I want. I used to get gout bad.

Sounds similar to my experience. I was prescribed allopurinol 300mg by my doctor in the UK about 25 years ago for frequent severe gout attacks, likely due to excessive beer consumption. After living in Thailand for a few years, I gradually decreased my beer intake and eventually stopped taking the allopurinol. I still drink every day but not as much as I used to and never had a gout attack for at least 10 years.

• Like 1