Thailand's ex-PM Thaksin to serve 8 years in jail - court statement

webfact

23 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Thaksin will serve very little time in prison.  One of the first things that the new PM Srettha Thavisin will do is to pardon Thaksin of all convictions.  He might even state that being in exile for 17 years is "prison enough" since he couldn't be in Thailand.  

I think u are correct....make taksin an offer of a pardon in return for a deal with the devil to get the votes they need to install their new puppet...who knows maybe taksin once freed will have a few tricks up his sleeve to try out as i doubt he much likes the coup crew that disposed him and yingluck ...

what a mess it is when you ignore the will of the voters and rig the system to stay in power ...

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 8/22/2023 at 6:14 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Without serving any meaningful part of their actual sentence? I've never heard of that kind of exception in Thai law.

Do you have a source for that that you can provide a link to?

Google.Numerous articles in Thai media.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Thai-election/Thaksin-jailed-on-return-to-Thailand-after-15-years

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tom H said:

You are wrong. Left wing of the present location.

IMG_7274.jpeg

You may like to explain what that location actually is!   It looks as though it could be in a hospital judging by the woman's outfit, she's certainly not a Corrections Department officer.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You may like to explain what that location actually is!   It looks as though it could be in a hospital judging by the woman's outfit, she's certainly not a Corrections Department officer.

Its the Police hospital were T. was brought by helicopter.

Edited by Tom H
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Tom H said:

Its the Police hospital were T. was brought by helicopter.

Well, that was, obviously, not too difficult to work out, I just wanted you to admit it.

So what is your point?   You posted that photo as a response to my comment that there are no "special VIP prisons in Thailand" (there aren't) claiming that I was wrong and that the photo showed one...it doesn't, you said yourself that it shows a private room in the Police General Hospital.  The Police General Hospital is a public hospital, it is not a "special VIP prison".

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well, that was, obviously, not too difficult to work out, I just wanted you to admit it.

So what is your point?   You posted that photo as a response to my comment that there are no "special VIP prisons in Thailand" (there aren't) claiming that I was wrong and that the photo showed one...it doesn't, you said yourself that it shows a private room in the Police General Hospital.  The Police General Hospital is a public hospital, it is not a "special VIP prison".

Its a special VIP prison. Thats why the word „special“ is used for a declared prisoner, you semantic professor:). 

For you only: special „prison“.????

The rest of readers understood the context as it is visible by their comments under your pedantic semantics.

Edited by Tom H
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Tom H said:

Its a special VIP prison. Thats why the word „special“ is used for a declared prisoner, you semantic professor:). 

For you only: special „prison“.????

The rest of readers understood the context as it is visible by their comments under your pedantic semantics.

It isnt, the Police General Hospital is a hospital, it is not a "special prison".  Why would my wife and I have chosen a special prison for the birth of our first child? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It isnt, the Police General Hospital is a hospital, it is not a "special prison".  Why would my wife and I have chosen a special prison for the birth of our first child? 

Well, his doors are closed:). 

Dont worry soon he can leave his special prison????

Wikipedia:

Prison def.:

In simplest terms, a prison can be a building in which people are legally detained (against their will) as a punishment for a crime which they are believed to have committed.

Well, he is in a building detained????,

you super smart guy.

Edited by Tom H

On 8/23/2023 at 3:31 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

How would you know, personal experience?  Got anything to back up your BS "BS" such as naming the prison that shackles all the inmates?

I'm not stupid enough to blab my personal experiences on this Forum, and especially to you.

I know that inmates are shackled mostly for disciplinary reasons (and not JUST in solitary confinement) as well as to and from Court appearances and medical appointments outside the walls....   all witnessed by the 'locals' in the towns as they go about their day to day business.

4 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

I know that inmates are shackled mostly for disciplinary reasons (and not JUST in solitary confinement) as well as to and from Court appearances and medical appointments outside the walls....

Yes, I agree, they may be shackled only in those circumstances, that is what I said.   They are not shackled in any other circumstances such as in the normal course of daily prison life, that is also what I said.

You commented that it was "BS" to my comment that "no one wears ankle chains inside Thai prisons unless they are being punished for in-jail misbehaviour".  My comment was accurate, your "BS" remark was not.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, connda said:

Any bets that it will be "house-arrest" within 6 months, and a pardon within two years?  ????

Anyone in their right mind wouldn't bet on anything to do with Thai politics.... 

The problem is if he gets a royal pardon the courts don't have the power to overrule it. So they can't actually say he will serve 8 years in prison, they can only sentence him and hope he doesn't get a royal pardon or some other deal perhaps.