Are you comfortable with being treated like a walking ATM?

bob smith

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

We are here to help you Bob. Changing within is much harder than lashing out. 

Have you ever prayed/chanted? I find this, along with the Gratitude journal massively helpful in directing my attitude. 

I think Bob is beyond help and feels he doesn't need any anyway.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, bob smith said:

nonsense.

I am a ray of shining positivity. 

every morning i get up full of a zest for life!

then i bump into a Thai and my whole world turns black. 

maybe you need your eyes checked so you won't be bumping into so many Thai's - 555

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

seems everything is based on how much money you have in the bank.

Which is strange because there are way more poor people in Thailand than there are rich.

You're on the right track there, Bob! In Thailand, the top 10% control 60% of the wealth, in Australia, for example, the top 10% control 22% of the wealth!

who paid the bills back home? your mom?

i cant speak for the monger studs, but family men have no problem paying the bills in most countries. i paid for everything when we lived in the states. i pay for everything in Thailand. at least its 70-80% cheaper to live in Thailand.

the real problem is why can't you say no?

not everything has to be a yes. they'll understand.

#

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bob smith said:

im not miserable though. Im quite the opposite. 

tell you what did make me miserable the other day tho. When i was shortchanged by 500 baht and then i was made to feel like itwas my fault by the cashier that I paid with 1,000 note. she actually said these words " next time pay smaall money" 

you couldnt make it up! 

Fair enough bob... That would get up my nose, for about 5 seconds before forgetting it. 

But... to suggest that this simple encounter can 'turn your whole world black' is seriously over egging it, or, if such a simple encounter really does upset you to such a degree that your 'world turns black' and it ruins your morning  / day etc... then you are in need of some psychological assistance. 

That said, short changing is not uncommon here... But so is 'over-changing' (returning too much change).. I've encountered both, however, as most payments are digital these days either incidence is now extremely rare. 

BUT.. IF it does happen, I point it out and move on... thats it, its the same with many things here. 

A taxi driver or someone I do not know is dismissive or impolite, do I care ?... hardly...  additionally, any negative encountered is by far outweighed by neutral and positive encounters.

Most of the situations I've encountered here I've also encountered in the presence of other Thai's or I've experienced other Thai's encountering similar negative situations.... It's obvious that when such occurs its down to the individual, not some pattern of society. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I have lent money to several Thais

one 500,000 b.  I always got paid back mostly early.  My experience is they are not all out to screw over Falang. 

If your life is hanging around bars you probably will get tainted and think they just all want your money.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough bob... That would get up my nose, for about 5 seconds before forgetting it. 

But... to suggest that this simple encounter can 'turn your whole world black' is serious over egging it, or, if such a simple encounter really does upset you to such a degree that your 'world turns black' and it ruins your morning  / day etc... then you are in need of some psychological assistance. 

That said, short changing is not uncommon here... But so is 'over-changing' (returning too much change).. I've encountered both - that said, as most payments are digital these days either incidence is now extremely rare. 

BUT.. IF it does happen, I point it out and move on... thats it, its the same with many things here. 

A taxi driver is dismissive or impolite, do I care ?... hardly.

Most of the situations I've encountered here I've also encountered in the presence of other Thai's or I've experienced other Thai's encountering similar negative situations.... It's obvious that when such occurs its down to the individual, not some pattern of society. 

I guess for the first few hundred times I let it slide.

Now we are into the realm of thousands if not 10's of thousands of sperate incidents such as what happened to me the other day.

I guess it just slowly but surely adds to my overall negative perception of Thai people.

Edited by bob smith
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

Now we are into the realm of thousands if not 10's of thousands of sperate incidents such as what happened to me the other day.

I guess it just slowly but surely adds to me overall negative perception of Thai people.

in 16 years i can't remember a time i was short changed and i usually count it with them. i'm up in Isaan tho. i wouldn't want to be down in the cities. 500 baht is a lot lol

#

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

I guess it just slowly but surely adds to me overall negative perception of Thai people.

This is perhaps the issue... You allow the negative encounters to slowly eat away at you. 

But, it is also possible you are encountering more negative encounters than many of us face, this could be for multiple reasons such as...

- Immediate environment

- Attitude

- Ego 

Based on your posts, I wonder if much of your negativity is not 'location based'...  i.e. you are in an area where Thai's are generally jaded towards foreigners - specifically, your encounters are far from positive because you live in central Pattaya. 

In Bangkok, when I am in an area of 'high tourist footfall' I have far more non-positive experiences than I do in area's that are just a few blocks away.

Outside of a the areas of high tourist footfall, the vast majority of my encounters are either neutral or positive. 

Additionally, if I'm having a bad day, I may have fewer positive encounters, simply because I look grumpy (i.e. my attitude is negative). 

OR, If I approach a neutral situation with a degree of superiority a person will pick up on this and the quality of my encounter will deteriorate. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That said, short changing is not uncommon here... But so is 'over-changing' (returning too much change).. I've encountered both,

I can't say I've encountered the latter.

When they make "a mistake" (wink wink), it is pretty much always..... always.... in they're own favor.

One would think that's a mathematical improbability.

????

Edited by FruitPudding

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

if my subjective truth through personal experience is negative then so be it! I can't help that, can I?

You do know that many people disagree with you...

I have lived here a long time and find Thais to be similar to people anywhere some good - some bad...

Who you hang out with will have a lot to do with it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I guess it just slowly but surely adds to my overall negative perception of Thai people.

It certainly does but as richard_smith above has mentioned, if you go around life looking for negatives, you will most certainly find them.

Personally I think you're negativity problem is just the symtom of a bigger underlying problem and I say this with all sincerity and I hope you take it in the constructive manner it is offered, but I think you need to talk to a professional. 

We have all experienced the things you talk about but most of us don't take it to heart the way you do. You could be experiencing some major/minor psycological problems and I don't think it would do you any harm to talk it all through with a professional rather than keep coming on a forum such as AN, looking for support.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johnnybangkok said:

It certainly does but as richard_smith above has mentioned, if you go around life looking for negatives, you will most certainly find them.

Personally I think you're negativity problem is just the symtom of a bigger underlying problem and I say this with all sincerity and I hope you take it in the constructive manner it is offered, but I think you need to talk to a professional. 

We have all experienced the things you talk about but most of us don't take it to heart the way you do. You could be experiencing some major/minor psycological problems and I don't think it would do you any harm to talk it all through with a professional rather than keep coming on a forum such as AN, looking for support.  

I have taken what you have said in a constructive manner.

I just post about my daily experiences in Thailand. If they come off as negative then there isnt a lot I can do about that.

I'm not going to sugar coat anything for anyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bob, your insights have made me realize an ethical dilemma that I feel that only you can help me parse.

My pot delivery guy liked a computer wireless speaker that I had 2 of. I traded that speaker for a thumb-sized piece of Afghan hash.

Net/net, I took like a 500 baht value-"loss" on the trade.

On the other hand, owning a piece of hash that big was a boyhood dream come true.

Does he owe me a couple of pre-rolled's?

• Haha 1