UK 10 year passport

Background:

1. I relocated from the UK to Thailand in 2005 on a Non-B (one-year) visa.

2. When this was due to expire, I transferred it to a "Retirement Extension" when is required to be renewed annually, the renewal date falling in September (2006).

3. My previous UK passport was due to expire in July 2010, so I renewed it at the British embassy in Bangkok; I believe it was sent to Hong Kong for renewal.

4. Note: the renewal date of the new passport was not 10 years from the date of issue, but instead was April 2021 (an additional 9 months), but I thought nothing of it.

5. In January 2021 I started the process of renewing my passport, which took approx. 6 weeks.

6. My next 90 day was in March 2021. I requested to have my annual visa transferred to my new passport (and I thought that it was). 

7. My next 90 day was in in the June and this once again went through without incident.

8. I went in for my next 90 day renewal - which I always time to coincide with my annual visa renewal - in the the September (2021). This is when the shock happened.

9. The officer at the 90-day point looked at my passport and swiftly turned me away, stating that my (annual visa) had expired 90 days after renewing my passport.

Note: it was totally my fault for not checking that my annual visa had been transferred, so why did they give me another 90-day renewal in the June???

10. I will not go into the details of how I sorted this problem out, but I would like to draw attention to the Foxtrot Uniform of the UK passport office giving me an exptra 9 months on my 10 year passport. For another example of how this affected a UK passport holder, click on this: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/brexit-dad-50-has-to-pay-3k-and-drive-over-1-100-miles-after-being-caught-out-by-new-passport-rule/ar-AA1fEsqy?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=5482b344a0ce4de69aad76e4d32eb49b&ei=20

Edited by safarimike11
attention to detail in no. 9
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

The issue was that, although the current permission to stay was transferred correctly, just transferring it to a passport with a later expiry date does not automatically extend the permission to stay. Always make sure you understand the stamps in your passport.