Jomtien Immigration specific question

I'm returning to the UK next week for 6 weeks and will get a new passport while I'm back there. I did this 10 years ago and transferring the stamps to the new passport was free and without any problems, but to be on the safe side I asked in another topic if anything has changed. The answer seemed to be no, there might be a charge for it now but otherwise it's the same.

As I'm jet-lagged and cream crackered when I return to Pattaya, I asked an agent how much it would cost to do it for me. The agent insists that I will need a letter from the Embassy in Bangkok certifying that this is a genuine replacement for my old passport. Most of the replies to the above topic, though, say that it's not necessary for a passport issued when you're in the UK. One even says that it's no longer necessary for passports renewed while you're still in Thailand.

The agent is having none of this, different offices have different rules and so on, so I went to Jomtien Immigration this afternoon and asked. The guy at the first desk was helpful and gave me the form to transfer the stamps, saying to just bring it back with both passports when I return. I asked him about a letter from the embassy and he said that he didn't know anything about that, I should go to desk 8 and check as that's where it's processed. So I did that and spoke with a helpful lady who said the same thing, just bring the form and both passports and they'll do the transfer. She didn't mention needing a letter from the embassy.

My question is this: has anyone transferred their visa stamp from an old passport to a new one, obtained while in the UK, in Jomtien Immigration recently (say this year) and if so did they insist on you getting a letter from the Embassy in Bangkok?

Edited by Guderian

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You won't need the letter (doesn't exist anymore anyway) because you use the new passport along with old passport when you re-enter Thailand

Yes, that's what I did 10 years ago. I'd never even heard of an embassy letter back then.

1 hour ago, Havefunme said:

The form has of list of all the documents you need . About the letter from embassy it says if available 

That's odd and a bit out of date, as it's asking for a copy of the TM6 which no longer exists. So if the embassy letter isn't available, which it won't be, then it should still be fine. Right, lol?

But what's the bit about "Copy of visa stamp in your passport (if it available)"? Surely, that's the whole purpose of the form, to transfer the stamp, so how can the visa stamp not be available?

:scratches head:

7 minutes ago, Guderian said:

But what's the bit about "Copy of visa stamp in your passport (if it available)"? Surely, that's the whole purpose of the form, to transfer the stamp, so how can the visa stamp not be available?

They want photocopy of your original Visa.

For example non O retirement.

Immigration does not transfer Visas.

They make notes in new pp to reference visa information. Such as type etc.

TM6 is irrelevant. 

Edited by DrJack54

10 minutes ago, Guderian said:

That's odd and a bit out of date, as it's asking for a copy of the TM6 which no longer exists. So if the embassy letter isn't available, which it won't be, then it should still be fine. Right, lol?

I got a TM6 last week, using a land border crossing from Laos.

1 hour ago, kidneyw said:

I got a TM6 last week, using a land border crossing from Laos.

Land border yes.
Airport no.

The "letter" with the new passport.

More and more consulates have abolished and will not provide.

Recently I got note from Swiss consulate and that they had informed Thai officials/immigration that they do not provide such letters.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The "letter" with the new passport.

More and more consulates have abolished and will not provide.

Recently I got note from Swiss consulate and that they had informed Thai officials/immigration that they do not provide such letters.

This legal site mentions the letter from the UK embassy, but it only refers to passports renewed while you are still in Thailand, I don;ts ee anything on there about getting a new passport when you're in the UK.

https://www.siam-legal.com/UK_Visa/british-embassy-thailand.php

Transferring your Thai visa after renewing your British passport

If you renewed your British Passport (or it was lost, stolen, or damaged and you have replaced it), you will need a letter to move your Thai visa from your old passport into your new one at the Immigration Bureau.

• If you renewed your passport at VFS Bangkok, you will be given a blank letter when you receive your new passport.
  • If you have not been given a copy of this letter, you may send your name and Thai address via web form and the embassy will post a copy to you.