How should i proceed with O visa and Education

Hi there this site is invaluable. Thanks in advance!

Currently back in miserable Scotland, my partner is in Thailand with child. Child is enrolled in school, and they said it should be no problem him getting an education visa. My wife plans to get an O visa. 

When the child applies for an education visa, does the parent applying for the O visa have to do their application at the same time as when child applies for their education visa? Or can the application for the parent be done seperately ?

We originally planned to come back to the UK for a few weeks, so should we just apply for an O visa for my wife and Education visa for my child here in Scotland ?  

or 

Can my child get their education visa in Thailand, my wife comes home and applies for an O visa seperate?

or 

Or can my wife just apply for an O visa in Bangkok ?

Edited by JoeyMac

The child could get a Non Ed visa in Thailand, but it might be better to try to do it (with documents from the school) prior to departure from the UK.

The application for the parent is separate. If applying as the parent of a foreign child at school in Thailand, the Non O will not be granted until the child has the Non Ed visa/extension.

The Non O visa will probably need to be done at an embassy/consulate outside Thailand. If everything cannot be arranged before you leave the UK, rather than returning to the UK, it should be possible to make an appointment and get the visa at the Thai embassy in Vientiane Laos.

In addition to the information above which I hope is correct, also ask the school what is involved. If it is an international school, they will deal with this constantly.

16 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The child could get a Non Ed visa in Thailand, but it might be better to try to do it (with documents from the school) prior to departure from the UK.

The application for the parent is separate. If applying as the parent of a foreign child at school in Thailand, the Non O will not be granted until the child has the Non Ed visa/extension.

The Non O visa will probably need to be done at an embassy/consulate outside Thailand. If everything cannot be arranged before you leave the UK, rather than returning to the UK, it should be possible to make an appointment and get the visa at the Thai embassy in Vientiane Laos.

In addition to the information above which I hope is correct, also ask the school what is involved. If it is an international school, they will deal with this constantly.

So once my child has been granted an education visa. Can we do her O visa in the UK, then if granted she can fly out to say Singapore and then re-enter with her O visa ?

Or is the O visa that is granted from the UK, mean she has to fly out from the UK ?

8 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

So once my child has been granted an education visa. Can we do her O visa in the UK, then if granted she can fly out to say Singapore and then re-enter with her O visa ?

Or is the O visa that is granted from the UK, mean she has to fly out from the UK ?

If your child can get a Non Ed visa in the UK prior to your departure, I think it is possible for your wife to subsequently get the Non O, hopefully also before departure.

Regardless of where the child gets the Non Ed visa, the application for the Non O can be done elsewhere (such as Vientiane, Laos as I suggest above) and will give an initial 90-day stay on arrival (which can be extended one year at a time, at Immigration in Thailand).

• Like 1