Trump surrenders for historic fourth arrest

Social Media

Interesting, this co defendant apparently couldn't raise the money. Is the big guy going to help out?

Trump co-defendant denied bond, held in jail 

One of the defendants in the Georgia election fraud racketeering case was denied bail on Friday and will now remain at the Fulton County Jail pending further proceedings.

Prosecutors allege Floyd harassed and pressured a Georgia poll worker over false election fraud claims.

Floyd represented himself and was the only one of the case’s 19 defendants not to organize a bond agreement with state prosecutors before turning himself in.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4172605-trump-co-defendant-denied-bond-held-in-jail/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pomchop said:

Wow so you seem to think that the national archives, the fbi, the doj and trump himself  all just made up the idea that classified docs were in trumps possession............did u listen to dear leader on tape bragging about having classified docs in his hand and saying "i could have declassified but now i cannot"....getting kinda dark down in the rabbit hole?

REDUX

Opinion
Trying Trump under the Espionage Act will be trickier than you think

June 21, 2023 at 7:15 a.m. EDT

Baruch Weiss, a former federal prosecutor in the U.S. attorney’s office for the Southern District of New York, is a partner at Arnold & Porter and a criminal defense lawyer who handles Espionage Act cases.

The charges in the indictment against Donald Trump might seem simple: Trump finished his term as president, became an ordinary citizen, yet retained 31 classified documents that, under the Espionage Act, he should have returned to the government upon demand. He compounded his wrongdoing by lying and obstructing.

But as a former federal prosecutor and a defense attorney who has handled Espionage Act cases, I can tell you that prosecutions under that law are tricky. And Trump’s will be extraordinarily so.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/06/21/trump-prosecution-espionage-act-tricky/

https://archive.is/UJhXJ

6 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Interesting but there are plenty of other very experienced lawyers who say the obstruction is a slam dunk.

That is attorney Weiss's opinion based upon his experience as a Espionage Act Prosecutor and defense attorney.

You don't have to agree with it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

That is attorney Weiss's opinion based upon his experience as a Espionage Act Prosecutor and defense attorney.

I certainly am no lawyer but of course have seen some very experienced lawyers with a different take..

I am curious to know if u are convicted of a felony and sentenced and want to appeal are u allowed to stay out of jail til all appeals are exhausted or do u have to sit in jail until if/when a repeal might reverse the conviction?  Maybe different if state or fed?  Anybody know for sure?

Federal law allows bail pending appeal for certain convictions if the judge is clearly convinced the defendant won't flee or harm someone and the appeal has a good chance of being successful. (18 U.S.C. § 3143.)

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/can-i-bail-while-i-appeal-conviction.html

and from that statute:

(B) that the appeal is not for the purpose of delay and raises a substantial question of law or fact likely to result in—
(i)reversal,
(ii)an order for a new trial,
(iii)a sentence that does not include a term of imprisonment, or
(iv)a reduced sentence to a term of imprisonment less than the total of the time already served plus the expected duration of the appeal process.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 2

so it would appear to me that if trump were to be convicted of different felonies in different cases and wanted to appeal it all forever that each conviction would be treated differently and all it would take to keep him in jail on a fed conviction is a judge who rules the appeal is BS with little chance of winning...i assume below by judge that means the original trial court judge?

Convincing the judge that you’re likely to win your case and avoid jail time is often the most difficult part of getting out of prison while your federal criminal appeal is pending. You have to prove to the judge that the court got it wrong the first time. You have to provide a good reason for him or her to believe that when you appeal, you’ll win.

This is particularly relevant due to the breaking news a few hours ago where Three Black people were killed in a hate-motivated shooting at a Dollar General retailer in Jacksonville, Florida.

How Trump’s attacks on prosecutors build on history of using racist language and stereotypes

NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump’s aggressive response to his fourth criminal indictment in five months follows a strategy he has long used against legal and political opponents: relentless attacks, often infused with language that is either overtly racist or is coded in ways that appeal to racists.

The early Republican presidential front-runner has used terms such as “animal” and “rabid” to describe Black district attorneys. He has accused Black prosecutors of being “racist.” He has made unsupported claims about their personal lives. And on his social media platform, Truth Social, Trump has deployed terms that rhyme with racial slurs as some of his supporters post racist screeds about the same targets.

https://apnews.com/article/trump-race-georgia-indictment-new-york-prosecutors-04b69a8f3e4873eadb03c132cdee09c8?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

It is exactly that, an opinion. What's notable is that he didn't address the elephant in the room. Keeping classified documents isn't such as serious offense. Disseminating the information from them to people without security clearances is the actual offense of espionage rather than just retaining the documents.  And when those are nuclear secrets all the more egregious and easy to prove..

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Disseminating the information from them to people without security clearances is the actual offense of espionage rather than just retaining the documents.

And you are certain that's what happened in the Bedminster incident or are you suggesting there are others?

"On the recording, according to two people familiar with its contents, Mr. Trump can be heard flipping through papers as he talks to a publisher and writer working on a book by his final White House chief of staff, Mark Meadows. Mr. Trump and the people in the meeting do not explicitly say what document the former president is holding."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/19/us/politics/trump-classified-document-fox-news.html

Edited by jerrymahoney

23 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

And you are certain that's what happened in the Bedminster incident or are you suggesting there are others?

"On the recording, according to two people familiar with its contents, Mr. Trump can be heard flipping through papers as he talks to a publisher and writer working on a book by his final White House chief of staff, Mark Meadows. Mr. Trump and the people in the meeting do not explicitly say what document the former president is holding."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/19/us/politics/trump-classified-document-fox-news.html

Count 32 of the indictment referrers to that document on the tape from Bedminster, Jack Smith has the document.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Count 32 of the indictment referrers to that document on the tape from Bedminster, Jack Smith has the document.

Yes Count 32 refers to an undated month-day-year document. So I guess those in the meetings musta changed their story.

Edited by jerrymahoney

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes Count 32 refers to an undated document.

Yes I know and explained very well in the vid.

Well OK it was not explained why people who said they didn't know what Trump showed them now know what Trump showed them.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well OK it was not explained why people who said they didn't know what Trump showed them now know what Trump showed them.

Are you referring to the people Trump read to or to the justice department? If, to the justice department, then I suppose they can match up what Trump read to the text of the document.

Just now, jerrymahoney said:

Because I am amused that at times I am referred to as a Trump sympathizer when I cast 2 votes against him by persons who didn't.

I've not one of those who has accused you though so all rather irrelevant to me.