Child drowning tragedy: 11 year old boy loses life in Khon Kaen Pond

webfact

image.jpeg

An eleven year old boy tragically drowned while playing with friends in a local pond in Nong Hin village, Mueang, Khon Kaen. The group of four were rowing a plastic boat when it suddenly capsized, leading to the fatal child drowning incident. The three other children managed to escape unharmed.

The victim, a Year 5 student from Ban Nong Hin School, was identified only as “A” for privacy reasons. The child drowning tragedy unfolded when the boys decided to row out in a plastic boat, resulting in the boat sinking. While the other children were able to swim to safety, “A” disappeared under the water.

Khon Kaen’s highway rescue officials and the underwater operations team from the Khon Kaen Samakkhi Foundation worked tirelessly together to search for the boy’s body. During the six-hour search, the child’s 28 year old mother, Wilai Huay Yai, offered prayers to the sacred spirits, hoping for a swift discovery of her son’s body.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of Istock

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/khon-kaen-tragedy-11-year-old-boy-drowns-in-local-pond-while-playing-with-friends

-- The Thaiger 2023-08-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 5

54 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Easy to say when sitting behind your computer. But that could have resulted in not only him drowning. In life saving classes I was taught to approach the person from behind or stay away from the drowning person who was panicking and wait for him to slow down. He could drag you down and drown you. These were kids remember and how well can they swim? 

I have the same teaching, so you got a point. But still, even if you are risking your own life, you do not let a friend drown.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Nice friends. One can´t swim, and the ones who can do not lift a finger to help.

Their first instinct is to get to safety, they look around and their friend is not in sight..

Already too late.

Learning to swim is one thing, but not everything, learning to stay calm, think and react in an emergency takes training.

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Their first instinct is to get to safety, they look around and their friend is not in sight..

Already too late.

Learning to swim is one thing, but not everything, learning to stay calm, think and react in an emergency takes training.

Yeah, or some just have it built in.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:
24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where do you suggest that schools teach their pupils to swim?   You think that Thai schools typically have swimming pools?

Rivers and ponds all over Thailand.

Like the one the child died in.

Seriously?   You think that schools should take non-swimmer pupils out of school to rivers and ponds to teach them to swim?  Good grief...

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where do you suggest that schools teach their pupils to swim?   You think that Thai schools typically have swimming pools?

Uhm....the local public swimming pool. Duh. There's no excuse.

I am very thankful that my kid's school has a pool and they get swimming lessons.

2 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:
41 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Uhm....the local public swimming pool. Duh. There's no excuse.

Duh,  the "local swimming pool" easily accessible to schools, is that a thing, where are they?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Easy to say when sitting behind your computer. But that could have resulted in not only him drowning. In life saving classes I was taught to approach the person from behind or stay away from the drowning person who was panicking and wait for him to slow down. He could drag you down and drown you. These were kids remember and how well can they swim? 

Yes, many many years ago I was in a swimming pool in Korea, with my Korean girlfriend, I didn't know she couldn't swim and she didn't tell us.  A few minutes later, I see her thrashing about, struggling to keep her head above water, I swim out to help her and in an instant she's climbing on me, pushing me underwater in her attempt to stay above water, Now I'm fighting for air and came close to drowning.  With my last bit of air/strength, I shove her as hard as I could towards the edge of the pool. She survived but I learned that day, saving someone from drowning you could end up being a victim yourself.

34 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Seriously?   You think that schools should take non-swimmer pupils out of school to rivers and ponds to teach them to swim?  Good grief...

Yes you are right.

But parents could make an effort to get there kids to learn to swim.

But most parents can't swim also,  so it's just not on the list of things to do.

There are swimming pools in most cities.

but this requires effort and money and most parents can't be bothered to travel.

Result is dead kids in small ponds, lakes and rivers. 

all a bit sad, i think.

Edited by rocketboy2

3 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where?...list plenty of them, then, that are easily accessible to schools.

You seem to be obsessed with schools, but parents can take on this role.

Do you think that could possibly be because I responded to your 'kin post bringing schools into it"?...

"And so unnecessary, parents or schools, need to teach kids how to swim".

You do remember posting that, yes?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Do you think that could possibly be because I responded to your 'kin post bringing schools into it"?...

"And so unnecessary, parents or schools, need to teach kids how to swim".

You do remember posting that, yes?

Bye.  

Edited by rocketboy2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2