Srettha plays down talk of reform as Sutin emerges as defence minister

webfact

image.jpeg

As Pheu Thai Party decides to nominate one of its deputy leaders, Sutin Klungsang, as defence minister, Prime Minister-elect Srettha Thavisin is playing down expectations that there will be any radical reform of the military under his new administration.

“As I have been saying all along, I don’t like the word “reform”. My preference is for us to develop (the military) together,” Srettha said, when questioned by reporters on his government’s plans to reform the armed forces.

Pheu Thai was one of the political parties that made reforming the military a platform policy during the recent general election. It proposed downsizing the armed forces and imposing tighter controls on arms acquisitions.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/srettha-plays-down-talk-of-reform-as-sutin-emerges-as-defence-minister/

-- Thai PBS 2023-08-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“As I have been saying all along, I don’t like the word “reform”. My preference is for us to develop (the military) together,” Srettha said, when questioned by reporters on his government’s plans to reform the armed forces.

Is that the same as saying "down-sizing" ?

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

His task is made easier with Prayut agreeing to downsize all 3 branches of the armed forces and cut the number of generals in half.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/politics/pm-says-military-to-downsize-halve-number-of-generals

That was from 2020, trying to defend the bloated military structure, pure BS, and a promise made by someone who is leaving office.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

His task is made easier with Prayut agreeing to downsize all 3 branches of the armed forces and cut the number of generals in half.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/politics/pm-says-military-to-downsize-halve-number-of-generals

Oh that's alright then!

We all know general pinocchio never tells porkies, come to think of I wonder why he was known by that nickname.... 

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't like the word reform, he says. That kind of says it all, including why he got the position!

No progress. No reform. Please, please don't interfere with the gravy train. 

More of the same then. One step forward, two steps back.

• Like 1