PM discusses tourism boost with airlines

webfact

I've noticed some easing in flight prices but nowhere near enough to persuade me to return to my previous travel patterns.

Comparative flight prices I've paid:

Manchester - Bangkok economy return September 2019 (pre covid) £459) on Etihad.

Manchester - Bangkok economy return September 2023 £657 on Qatar

(The above with sensible total durations)

That's almost exactly a 45% increase (Etihad and Qatar's prices are usually very similar).

I was planning my usual July/August flight but decided against that as prices were around £1500. Yes, that's school holiday time when the airlines always try to extract as much as possible from parents trapped by their kids holiday times but I've never seen it that expensive. As I've pointed out in other threads a family of 4 looking to travel to Thailand would have been faced with a £6000 bill for the flights alone - pretty sure most parents took their kids elsewhere.

Fuel prices are up what? Around 20%? No justification for these rip offs at all - most of us lost money during covid in one way or another and we've just had to swallow that. I can't put up my fees by 45% to cover my losses.

It was worse last year though when I had to pay £1677 in August - had my reasons to travel at that time otherwise no way I would have accepted that price.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

Hasn't anyone told them about the Chinese economy falling apart, Chinese unemployment, Chinese real estate sector in shambles and the Chinese government discouraging their people to travel internationally.   Here in Phuket I have seen very few Chinese tourists and I think the ones I have seen are Taiwanese, Hong Kong or Singapore.  They are too quiet.

LOL

Let's see him rejuvenate tourism when China moves on Taiwan.

10 hours ago, retarius said:

I don't think the tourism numbers being down has much to do with Thai owned airlines. Cost of flights, crappy immigration rules, scams all over the place even by the government with dual pricing for everything from hospital costs to price of admissions to parks. I don't think there are too many returnees from the West.

True. Back home the brand 'Thailand' lost appeal years ago, and high living and flight costs don't help either. The country seems to become popular with single Indians and Russians (for very different reasons) though, so, if they are smart and don't just bet on China, they might get lucky with short-haul tourists.

• Thumbs Up 1