Hundreds of thousands forced to scam in SE Asia: UN

Social Media

3 hours ago, JingerBen said:

I haven't met too many scammers who were "forced" to scam.

For the overwhelming majority it seemed more like second nature to me.

"Often, they are lured by ads promising easy work and extravagant perks, then tricked into travelling to Cambodia, Myanmar and Thailand.

Once they arrive, they are held prisoner and forced to work in online scam centres. Those who do not comply face threats to their safety. Many have been subject to torture and inhuman treatment."

You spend a lot of time in online scan centres?

Ad if you had bothered to read the whole story, you would have learned of one worker who was beaten for faking an illness. He ultimately died of his injuries.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, placeholder said:

"Often, they are lured by ads promising easy work and extravagant perks, then tricked into travelling to Cambodia, Myanmar and Thailand.

Once they arrive, they are held prisoner and forced to work in online scam centres. Those who do not comply face threats to their safety. Many have been subject to torture and inhuman treatment."

You spend a lot of time in online scan centres?

Ad if you had bothered to read the whole story, you would have learned of one worker who was beaten for faking an illness. He ultimately died of his injuries.

Many do it out of choice 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Maybe you could sympathise with the honest individual (often elderly) who has been scammed out of their hard earned life savings, rather than with the scammer who claims he was "forced to do it"?

These people know what they are doing. They think it is easy money and then when they get caught they roll out the usual sob story. 

I know the left love to sympathize with criminals but this might be a bit OTT even by your standards.

Did he say he doesn’t.

Sympathy for those ensnared by criminal gangs and sympathy for the victims of scams perpetrated by criminal gangs are not mutually exclusive.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Maybe you could sympathise with the honest individual (often elderly) who has been scammed out of their hard earned life savings, rather than with the scammer who claims he was "forced to do it"?

These people know what they are doing. They think it is easy money and then when they get caught they roll out the usual sob story. 

I know the left love to sympathize with criminals but this might be a bit OTT even by your standards.

Clearly you didn't need the article or maybe you're one of those individuals who think that captive labor is the thing of the past in Asia.

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

More victim blaming nonsense.

My sympathy is with those scammed out of their life savings. Not the scammer who comes up with with some lame "they made me do it" excuse. Pathetic.

By now you should know the forum rules about making claims without supporting evidence. So we either put up or...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Is it really the case that vast numbers of people have turned up in South East Asia, and become slaves ?  These people flew long distances, thinking about a lucrative job ?  I'm not saying the above story is made up, I just feel something is not right about the story.

If organised crime wanted to get people, lock them inside buildings, force them to work, well, why bother to encourage people to fly from all over the world, to South East Asia ?

How about go to anywhere in Thailand, look at whatever young tourist on a lonely road, attack him and abduct him ?  Take him to a building, and have him locked up in a building, and force him to work ?  Or indeed, young back-packer is in a tuk-tuk. Tuk-tuk takes him on a route that's not suppose to be. Stop tuk-tuk at a quite road, four men have been told to be there. And, oh look, young man is now abducted and locked in a building. That would be easier and simpler than luring somebody all the way from some other part of the world, surely ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Is it really the case that vast numbers of people have turned up in South East Asia, and become slaves ?  These people flew long distances, thinking about a lucrative job ?  I'm not saying the above story is made up, I just feel something is not right about the story.

If organised crime wanted to get people, lock them inside buildings, force them to work, well, why bother to encourage people to fly from all over the world, to South East Asia ?

How about go to anywhere in Thailand, look at whatever young tourist on a lonely road, attack him and abduct him ?  Take him to a building, and have him locked up in a building, and force him to work ?  Or indeed, young back-packer is in a tuk-tuk. Tuk-tuk takes him on a route that's not suppose to be. Stop tuk-tuk at a quite road, four men have been told to be there. And, oh look, young man is now abducted and locked in a building. That would be easier and simpler than luring somebody all the way from some other part of the world, surely ?

Except that such people tend to come from wealthy backgrounds. So their families have the means to investigate. People who would respond to the advertisements for such work are far less likely to be well connected.

• Like 1